Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Something to learn for Bas Mitzvah

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 5:53 pm
Looking for ideas for something that I can learn with my dd for her Bas Mitzvah. Any suggestions of something enjoyable and meaningful to learn together?

Thanks!

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 6:21 pm
I learned Mishnah Torah and Mishnah Brurah on Hadlakat Neirot and other preparations for Shabbos, as Candle lighting is one of the 3 mitzvot specifically entrusted to women (and My mom didn't want flour all over her house and never bakes and Mikvah/TH is probably not a great topic for a 12 yo.)
My DD who was born in Adar learned Megillat Esther, and DD who was named after someone named Ruthy, learned Megillat Rut.

What is your Haskafa in regard to texts? (I noticed you wrote Bas Mitzvah where as I wrote Bat Mitzvah) What is your DDs area of interest?

I LOVED the Matan BM project.
The women we learned about (some I didn't know before) are amazing role models.

gingleale

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 6:50 pm
My older daughter made a siyum on Mishnayot mesechet Moed. My younger daughter will iyh be making her siyum on Mishnayot seder Nizikin. DH learns with them every shabbos afternoon in preparation for 2-3 years before their bat mitzvah.

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 7:11 pm
There's a 2 volume set I think it was called halochos of a bas yisroel. I remember my mother learning it with me each week before my bas mitzva. I feel like it's nice to have something that focuses on the female and their unique role. Nefesh Chaya by Rav Pincus is also good in talking about the woman's role but I feel many people in the modern day and age can't relate to many of the ideas.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 8:07 pm
I learned the section on tefillah from Nefesh Chaya (in Hebrew, don't know if the English version is exactly the same or not) with my daughter because tefillah is strength of hers.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 8:37 pm
I learned shiras Chana and shiras Devorah in depth, although now that seems like very little. Most of the bas mitzvahs I go to now the girls make a speech about a whole sefer that they've learned.

DD was supposed to have her bas mitzvah this spring but we postponed it. She's been learning Navi with DH for over a year now. They started with Yehoshua and are now somewhere in Yeshayahu.

Is there something that interests your daughter? Is she more into history, halacha, philosophy, mussar, or is there something you can learn together that will tie into a chessed project?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children