Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
New COVID-19 cases in Orthodox communities elicit concern
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8

southernbubby

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 9:47 am
What I have been saying all along is that herd immunity protects the herd as long as the herd stays together. When people travel either in or out, that weakens the herd.
DH said today that the Ukraine is closing it's borders until after Yom Kippur. As sad as it is for Chassidim who looked forward to spending Rosh Hashanah there, maybe Hashem intended for them to stay home. I know that there are those who will say that no harm can befall someone from who is going to his Rebbe, possibly other interactions take place in or on the way to or from Uman that are not in that category so it looks as though another solution will have to be found. We have to survive spiritually, physically, and economically.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 9:48 am
wrote:
Until recently. Several new cases have been linked to weddings in BP, Lakewood & Monsey.

There are also some new cases in Flatbush, Williamsburg and Crown Heights.

There are also new hospitalizations, some in ICU.

According to an internal memo from [...] Hatzolah, a .

Should we be sharing information from internal memos?

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 9:50 am
southernbubby wrote:
What I have been saying all along is that herd immunity protects the herd as long as the herd stays together. When people travel either in or out, that weakens the herd.
DH said today that the Ukraine is closing it's borders until after Yom Kippur. As sad as it is for Chassidim who looked forward to spending Rosh Hashanah there, maybe Hashem intended for them to stay home. I know that there are those who will say that no harm can befall someone from who is going to his Rebbe, possibly other interactions take place in or on the way to or from Uman that are not in that category so it looks as though another solution will have to be found. We have to survive spiritually, physically, and economically.

According to one frum news source, about 6000 people will be allowed in. Maybe they're there already. That's about 20% of the normal crowd.

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 9:50 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Should we be sharing information from internal memos?

FYI - The memo is available on Yeshiva World News so not sure if it's considered private.

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 9:56 am
Mameh Shaineh wrote:
Until recently. Several new cases have been linked to weddings in BP, Lakewood & Monsey.

There are also some new cases in Flatbush, Williamsburg and Crown Heights.

There are also new hospitalizations, some in ICU.

According to an internal memo from Flatbush Hatzolah, a 57 year old man from BP was taken into the hospital this weekend and is critically ill on a vent.

One of the people taken in and supposedly on a vent is not in a vent and has phenumonia expected to recover. Each place took in maybe 5 new they are starting the panic tactic now. This will not work. Did anyone care when lots of people were hospitalized this past November for flu it was extremely bad no one cares. It had boiled down to politics.

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 10:15 am
PinkFridge wrote:
According to one frum news source, about 6000 people will be allowed in. Maybe they're there already. That's about 20% of the normal crowd.

I heard only Israeli's will be allowed in. But I'm sure other's will find their way there....

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 10:28 am
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
FYI - The memo is available on Yeshiva World News so not sure if it's considered private.

Thanks for clarifying. And apologies to the poster for any perceived aspersions cast.

Mameh Shaineh

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 11:13 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Thanks for clarifying. And apologies to the poster for any perceived aspersions cast.

Thanks, I appreciate that. I got it from a public source. Also, after I posted it, I realized someone had posted the actual memo a few comments earlier. Smile

Mameh Shaineh

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 11:58 am
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
One of the people taken in and supposedly on a vent is not in a vent and has phenumonia expected to recover. Each place took in maybe 5 new they are starting the panic tactic now. This will not work. Did anyone care when lots of people were hospitalized this past November for flu it was extremely bad no one cares. It had boiled down to politics.

Where do I even start with this comment? Banging head

1. Just because "one of the people taken in and supposedly on a vent is not on a vent...." doesn't mean others are not on a vent.

2. If each place took in 5 new people, that means there's a higher number of sick people not hospitalized, since a smaller percentage of people who catch it are hospitalized than aren't. Each of these people (hospitalized and not hospitalized) very possibly transmitted it to others so it could be spreading. We don't know yet to what extent it could spread at this point so if we have any short term memory at all, we might want to remember the hard learned lessons of just a few months ago if we don't want to go back to those horrible days again ch'v.

3. Who exactly is starting this panic tactic? Hatzolah? Who bore the brunt of this pandemic? Do I need to remind anyone what they did for us??

4. You're comparing Covid to the flu? How many people do you know that died of each? I personally don't know anyone who died of the flu last year but I know many who died of Covid. Seriously?

5. You're chalking this up to politics? Are there hatzolah members running for public office that I don't know of? Please tell me their names - I'd love to vote for them. You're confusing what might well be going on nationally with what's going on locally. Hatzolah is warning us based on what they see in our communities. Politics plays no part in this.

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 12:02 pm
Yeah, apparently all those in my community who we thought died from Covid, died in fact due to being politically assassinated.

Who knew? What

Mameh Shaineh

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 12:13 pm
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
Yeah, apparently all those in my community who we thought died from Covid, died in fact due to being politically assassinated.

Who knew? What

LOL

ra_mom

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 12:16 pm
southernbubby wrote:

This

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Aug 27 2020, 4:10 am
ra_mom wrote:
This

Well actually if the herd stays with the herd as a community but not one large gathering of herd. It assumes everyone doesnt come into contact with everyone simultaneously.

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Aug 27 2020, 9:08 am
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:

Who knew? What

Many many deaths in NY could've been prevented. Many people died from mistreatment and neglected and not from Covid per se. Especially those that died in nursing homes. For a reason is there a law in NY that you can't sue for malpractice now during Covid.

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Aug 27 2020, 9:18 am
Many people died from covid- young people too without underlying health issues. Its is not at all like ths flu. They also dont know yet if there will be any long terms effects from this virus.
I cant understand this way of thinking- just because some people got it mildly they think its not a big deal and a political scam. This seems so insensitive to me. What about people that have any underlying health issues- not even major ones for example asthma. Do people feel confortable takjng the responsibility of infecting even one person with this crazy virus and possibly causing severe illness or chas vashalom death? I understand there is a mental health ussue but is it such a big deal to try to be more careful in these times to protect others?

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Aug 27 2020, 9:21 am
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
Many people died from covid- young people too without underlying health issues. Its is not at all like ths flu. They also dont know yet if there will be any long terms effects from this virus.
I cant understand this way of thinking- just because some people got it mildly they think its not a big deal and a political scam. This seems so insensitive to me. What about people that have any underlying health issues- not even major ones for example asthma. Do people feel confortable takjng the responsibility of infecting even one person with this crazy virus and possibly causing severe illness or chas vashalom death? I understand there is a mental health ussue but is it such a big deal to try to be more careful in these times to protect others?

Covid is not political, no way. But politics is playing a big role in how it's being treated in NY. Many NY deaths can totally be blamed on politics.

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Aug 27 2020, 9:27 am
To discuss the political aspects of this in NY, Michigan, and anywhere else, please start a new thread in Politics.

— Rubber Ducky as Mod
Page 8 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 Recent Topics