Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling
Homeschool in monsey

ez-pass

Post Mon, Dec 14 2015, 8:46 pm
Posting for friend: Anyone know how I can help my friend find out abt homeschooling in monsey?

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Dec 14 2015, 8:53 pm
http://www.room613.net/members/room613

This is Jewish online homeschool program

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Feb 17 2016, 1:22 am
Bumping for more homeschoolers to socialize with/ coordinate with in Monsey area

Etztamar

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 8:52 pm
Not sure if you're still homeschooling. I live in Monsey and will start homeschooling my twins in September. They will be 10 and in fifth grade

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Jun 07 2017, 3:43 pm
I live in Monsey and am considering homeschooling this fall. At this point, I'm really just starting to gather info and see what resources are available and if I can really do this.
What motivated you to switch to homeschooling?

Etztamar

Post Wed, Jun 07 2017, 9:01 pm
My husband has been asking me for years, but I kept saying no because a)I didn't want to have to make up a curriculum and b)I was concerned about the social aspect. There are a lot of reasons why I finally decided it's time to throw in the towel and do this:
1)Dissatisfaction with the yeshiva they are in and in general with the yeshivas in Monsey for a lot of reasons (lack of quality of education, difficult and stubborn administrators who don't care about our opinion or input we as parents feel need to be heard about our kids' needs, too many vacations which makes it impossible when you have two working parents who both have to work just to make the tuition payments, etc).
2)Our twins have ADHD and only can go to a school with smaller class sizes--the one school appropriate for them is just a pain to deal with for too many reasons to go into ans they insist on charging us full tuition too and it's just not affordable unless I work wat too many hours
3)The school insists on putting my older son in special ed and this would be his fourth years and it's absolutely ridiculous to do that
etc etc etc

I have a degree in OT and special ed and lots of experience in education, so I feel qualified to knnow what my kids need and to be able to educate them at home.

I did research and we are going to use k12.com for English and melamed.com for Hebrew studies, plus I have looked on facebook and yahoo groups and found other people in Monsey area homeschooling and am on a NY homeschoolsers Whatsapp group, so we hvae a good start. You can text or call me at 516 749 9731 if you want to talk more. My kids are going to be 10 in August. Don't know if all this helps. I don't know if this is going to be a good or bad decision or not, but we couldn't keep going the way we were going with the yeshiva

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Jun 07 2017, 10:55 pm
Thanks for being so open. I"ll have to check out melamed.com and k12.com, thanks. We're at the point where we just can't afford tuition. I would be doing it for three kids spaced far apart age wise. I'm terrified of taking on the responsibility of curriculum on the one hand, but I also can see so many advantages and what to gain from homeschooling. It's a lot to think about...
It sounds like you're ready to tackle this, hatzlacha raba!

Etztamar

Post Thu, Jun 08 2017, 8:14 am
I never wanted money To be the reason I don't send my kids to yeshiva and it's not the only reason, but my hand is being forced for that as one reason. We get no breaks and have to pay in full because others pay less or not at all and I'm definitely tired it since we are definitely far from rich financially. How old are your kids? We should keep in touch. My name is Tami

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 11:21 pm
Thanks! I haven't had much time to research the available resources and I still don't know if I'll be doing this. Part of it will depend if the school will be able to swallow what we can afford to pay them. This past year they were constantly threatening to throw our kids out even tho we were paying what we could every month. I don't want to go thru another year like that, way too stressful!
Have you found anyone else in Monsey homeschooling?

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 12:23 pm

Levv

Post Thu, Aug 27 2020, 12:53 pm
I’m bumping up this thread. I’m looking for homeschooling options in the monsey area. We are considering using Melamed. Any homeschoolers that would like to network or share ideas and resources?

ExtraCredit

Post Thu, Aug 27 2020, 1:11 pm
Oh wow. Quite a few people in Monsey did it before 2020. They probably had the easiest year.

OneSource

Post Fri, Jul 16 2021, 2:49 pm
Bumping this thread up. Starting homeschool for my daughter, going into 8th grade, this fall and looking for advice and groups to join as a resource. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

amother
Bellflower

Post Fri, Jul 16 2021, 3:22 pm
ExtraCredit wrote:
Oh wow. Quite a few people in Monsey did it before 2020. They probably had the easiest year.

I don’t homeschool but I follow quite a few families who do and they seem to have had a hard year too, in the sense that they usually have meetups with other homeschooling families and they couldn’t do that for a long time. But o guess these kids didn’t fall behind in their education like some public school kids might have.

outofthe box

Post Mon, Aug 09 2021, 8:07 am
I want to homeschool my ten year old this year. How do I hold onto a job at the same time? I would like to hire a Rebbe and have him trained in to use a specific program? Any ideas how to recruit someone?

southernbubby

Post Mon, Aug 09 2021, 8:33 am
outofthe box wrote:
I want to homeschool my ten year old this year. How do I hold onto a job at the same time? I would like to hire a Rebbe and have him trained in to use a specific program? Any ideas how to recruit someone?

There are several Monsey giveaway magazines where you can put a classified ad. Maybe you can put up an ad in a kollel and someone who wants to work a few hours can do it.

outofthe box

Post Sat, Aug 28 2021, 10:33 pm
I am homeschooling my ten year old using the Montessouri teaching style. I have a teacher. However, I am still looking for a Rebbe.

outofthe box

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 6:05 am
Is there a homeschooling network in the Monsey area?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling