Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Unemployment

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 27 2020, 3:38 pm
Another unemployment question...
I filed four unemployment a few weeks ago and got approved. A week later I got an email asking me to file for back pay. I did it right away and got a big chunk of money in my bank account less than a week later. Today I checked my bank account and I see another big chunk of money. So I checked my ny.gov labor department online account payment history and basically saw that I got another whole set of back pay payments. Even more than the first time. Including the weeks I never applied for.

Anyone knows how this happened?

zaq

Post Thu, Aug 27 2020, 5:00 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Another unemployment question...
I filed four unemployment a few weeks ago and got approved. A week later I got an email asking me to file for back pay. I did it right away and got a big chunk of money in my bank account less than a week later. Today I checked my bank account and I see another big chunk of money. So I checked my ny.gov labor department online account payment history and basically saw that I got another whole set of back pay payments. Even more than the first time. Including the weeks I never applied for.

Anyone knows how this happened?

UI agents are human beings and can make mistakes. At this particular time, they are seriously overworked, and in many cases they are not even "real" UI agents but people from other divisions who were pulled off their regular work, reassigned to process UI claims, given scant training by people who were assuming, incorrectly, that they had some basic UI knowledge, and sent off to process claims on their own. Working remotely, they don't have anyone there to ask when they have questions, but have to email someone and wait, sometimes for a long time, to get a response. And even if they are "real" UI agents...they're human beings and can make mistakes. Come to think of it, they have computer robots doing some of the claims intake, and guess what? The bots make mistakes, too, because they lack human judgment.

So do a Kiddush Hashem, call UI, tell them you think you were overpaid, and ask for an explanation of how your benefits were calculated.

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Aug 27 2020, 5:06 pm
It's not just a kiddish Hashem... pretty sure that the way the rules are set up, legally one is obligated to return the extra money.
But op are you sure it wasn't two payments, one for the u employment and one for the extra $600 per week CARES?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 27 2020, 6:03 pm
zaq wrote:
UI agents are human beings and can make mistakes. At this particular time, they are seriously overworked, and in many cases they are not even "real" UI agents but people from other divisions who were pulled off their regular work, reassigned to process UI claims, given scant training by people who were assuming, incorrectly, that they had some basic UI knowledge, and sent off to process claims on their own. Working remotely, they don't have anyone there to ask when they have questions, but have to email someone and wait, sometimes for a long time, to get a response. And even if they are "real" UI agents...they're human beings and can make mistakes. Come to think of it, they have computer robots doing some of the claims intake, and guess what? The bots make mistakes, too, because they lack human judgment.

So do a Kiddush Hashem, call UI, tell them you think you were overpaid, and ask for an explanation of how your benefits were calculated.

Of course I plan on returning the money . Was just wondering if it's possible that the money legally belongs to me. I had a baby this week and have no idea how were gonna pay for all baby expenses. Finding the extra money just felt like a hug from hashem. Cuz I worked so hard to believe that hashem will send us money. But I'm definitely not planning on keeping it if it's not mine.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 27 2020, 6:04 pm
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
It's not just a kiddish Hashem... pretty sure that the way the rules are set up, legally one is obligated to return the extra money.
But op are you sure it wasn't two payments, one for the u employment and one for the extra $600 per week CARES?

Definitely not 2 payments. I got the unemployment and the 600 per week . And now I got it all again.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics