Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
DS Starting 8th Grade- Yeshiva info Please!!
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 28 2020, 8:58 am
My oldest is starting 8th grade, and would love some insight from you experienced Mamas about Yeshivos.

DS is very smart bH and really enjoys learning Gemorah, but he isn't a super motivated over-achiever or anything. He is fun, has lots of friends, but not necessarily the most with it socially.

Important to us in a Yeshiva:

Warm Atmosphere
Will Motivate the boys to get into the learning, but not super pressured
High level of Kodesh learning (DS has been pretty bored these last few years, class moves too slow for him)
Well Supervised Dorm
Rebbeim who go out of their way to make a kesher with the boys
Nice, accepting boys
Not too New Yorky

Would love to hear which places you think might be a good fit. Meeting with the principal soon and would be great to come with some ideas to discuss.

Anyone else getting nervous about this pivotal life decision??

amother
Pearl

Post Fri, Aug 28 2020, 8:58 am
City?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 28 2020, 8:59 am
Outta town, rather not say where....
Any semi local options we would consider would all be dorming anyway

amother
Firebrick

Post Fri, Aug 28 2020, 10:16 am
Ohr Naftoli in New Windsor would be a great fit. Scranton would be another good option to look into.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 28 2020, 10:18 am
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
Ohr Naftoli in New Windsor would be a great fit. Scranton would be another good option to look into.

Can you elaborate? More info about what the Yeshiva is like, type of boys etc

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Aug 28 2020, 2:12 pm
Do they suggest options there?
What kinds of things does he enjoy in his spare time? Feel free to pm me. Sent 2 boys away in the past 2 years.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 28 2020, 3:43 pm
They will suggest places, I just wonder if they always push the same few, so I want to come prepared knowing what's out there, and with some ideas we can bring up.

gold21

Post Fri, Aug 28 2020, 3:47 pm
1. Is level of English important?
2. Do you hope your son goes on to learn long term or do you hope he gets a college degree?

(Just trying to figure out how yeshivish of a school you're looking for)

gold21

Post Fri, Aug 28 2020, 3:49 pm
From what I understand, Scranton is very warm and the learning is on a high level. So I'll echo a previous posters recommendation.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Aug 28 2020, 4:08 pm
Scranton is a great yeshiva, but it's very low key on "frills". It won't work for many boys. I've been impressed with their student body though.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Aug 29 2020, 11:22 pm
gold21 wrote:
1. Is level of English important?
2. Do you hope your son goes on to learn long term or do you hope he gets a college degree?

(Just trying to figure out how yeshivish of a school you're looking for)

1-English: Not super important
2- We would love for him to learn long term

amother
OP

Post Sat, Aug 29 2020, 11:24 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Scranton is a great yeshiva, but it's very low key on "frills". It won't work for many boys. I've been impressed with their student body though.

What frills are you referring to? bH he isn't a very high maintenance kid...

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Aug 30 2020, 12:02 am
It's more "austere"... Like one rebbe of my kids told me he could tell you what the menu still is from his days. Hospital beds...
Not all care about this stuff, but some kids it would affect their enjoyment of yeshiva.

Oh also we looked into Telshe Cleveland for one of my sons and it seems like a decent option but my son didn't really rave about it, only because I think he had his heart set elsewhere.

There are tons of options. I am all over the place. I know I already PMed you a megillah about others...

There's Shlangers in Baltimore if you're interested in an atmosphere where there's an internal pressure to learn more in free time. (Some ppl like this, others want a yeshiva without such intensity...)

Basically hard to know which ones are nogeia without knowing a boy himself to even know which line of yeshivos to be on his life's "derech" at least at the 8th grade snapshot in time.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 30 2020, 8:48 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
It's more "austere"... Like one rebbe of my kids told me he could tell you what the menu still is from his days. Hospital beds...
Not all care about this stuff, but some kids it would affect their enjoyment of yeshiva.

Oh also we looked into Telshe Cleveland for one of my sons and it seems like a decent option but my son didn't really rave about it, only because I think he had his heart set elsewhere.

There are tons of options. I am all over the place. I know I already PMed you a megillah about others...

There's Shlangers in Baltimore if you're interested in an atmosphere where there's an internal pressure to learn more in free time. (Some ppl like this, others want a yeshiva without such intensity...)

Basically hard to know which ones are nogeia without knowing a boy himself to even know which line of yeshivos to be on his life's "derech" at least at the 8th grade snapshot in time.

Thanks so much for all of your insight! It is really hard to know what a kid needs at this age. But hopefully his Principal and Rebbe will have some input as well.

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Aug 30 2020, 9:03 am
There are many in Lakewood. I’m out if this parisha and so much has changed in the last 10 years but perhaps some Lakewooders can chime in.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 30 2020, 9:19 am
What about Philly? Is it super New Yorky, with-it kids there?
I also heard they don't accept kids who are young for the grade, my son is definitely on the young for the grade side- Bar Mitzvah coming up in a few months.

Anyone have experience?

Thanks!

ruchelbuckle

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 6:51 am
My understanding that Philly is on the New York side of things. The kids I know that go there are definitely more New Yorky— even if they are from out of town, their parents might be from New York or whatever.
A lot of boys in my oot community go to Scranton, and from what they tell me, it’s really more ideal for a self-motivated boy. Like if you’re not self motivated then you will just kind of get lost on the crowd there.
Ohr Naftali in New Windsor sounds like it might be a good match for your son. However, when we looked at it for my son, it was ruled out because it was very New Yorky, as well. (Keep in mind that with some of these small, less established schools, the demographics can change drastically from year to year- so what might be true when my son was looking at it one year, might change 2 years later).

I would wait to hear what the admins at your school have to say, and then report back to us.
Also, there is a Rabbi Binyamin Strauss in Lakewood who helps boys with yeshiva placements. Do a search, you’ll find his name.
There is also Rabbi Gluck in Monsey - we took our son to him, and people have flown in for the day to meet with him. Rabbi Gluck was very helpful and recommended 5 places. Two were not at all shayich, but the other 3 were, and he ended up at one of them.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 7:52 am
OK, thank you for the very helpful info!

Now that the school started talking about getting ready for Yeshiva, my son does seem more motivated, made a chavrusa for learning at night etc. He's just so excited to be back in school after Corona, bH bli ayin hara I hope it lasts.

Will let you know what the school thinks hopefully meeting this week or next.

gold21

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 8:01 am
K what about Long Beach?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 8:05 am
What is Long Beach like?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics