Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
People are crazy!!!
Previous  1  2

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Aug 24 2020, 7:52 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We've called the village multiple times, nothing doing. The street cleaning truck comes around maybe 2 times a year.

But how and why is the garage truck leaving garbage there? Can you call the sanitation department and see what they'll do to make sure that doesn't happen? If they don't respond, make a stink about it (no pun intended). Take pictures or videos of it happening and post on social media tagging them and your local councilpeople (whose primary concerns are good publicity to get reelected). Write in to local papers.

youngishbear

Post Mon, Aug 24 2020, 8:00 pm
From NYC311:
"Property owners are required to clean and sweep the sidewalks next to their property, including 18 inches from the curb into the street."

This lady may have an anger management problem, but in NYC you could be fined for garbage near your property. Maybe she's the right shaliach for you to learn about the laws in your area and avoid a fine in the future.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 24 2020, 8:02 pm
youngishbear wrote:
From NYC311:
"Property owners are required to clean and sweep the sidewalks next to their property, including 18 inches from the curb into the street."

This lady may have an anger management problem, but in NYC you could be fined for garbage near your property. Maybe she's the right shaliach for you to learn about the laws in your area and avoid a fine in the future.

I don't live in NYC and I don't own my property.
I know the laws in my area.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 24 2020, 8:05 pm
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
But how and why is the garage truck leaving garbage there? Can you call the sanitation department and see what they'll do to make sure that doesn't happen? If they don't respond, make a stink about it (no pun intended). Take pictures or videos of it happening and post on social media tagging them and your local councilpeople (whose primary concerns are good publicity to get reelected). Write in to local papers.

Hmm it's so not my type to make a big stink about it. The village is in charge of the sanitation department. Garbage falls out of the truck while the truck is crushing the gabage.

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Aug 24 2020, 9:04 pm
youngishbear wrote:
From NYC311:

My guess is that in nyc the garbage collectors don’t get away with leaving a stinky mess behind. No municipality is going to make you do the sanitation crew’s job.
Some municipalities make you hire your own garbage collection service but that’s not what op is referring to.

Op at this point I’d be yelling right back at the woman for scaring my kids. But you shouldn’t learn from me.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 24 2020, 9:09 pm
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
My guess is that in nyc the garbage collectors don’t get away with leaving a stinky mess behind. No municipality is going to make you do the sanitation crew’s job.
Some municipalities make you hire your own garbage collection service but that’s not what op is referring to.

Op at this point I’d be yelling right back at the woman for scaring my kids. But you shouldn’t learn from me.

I told her that she shouldn't be screaming at kids and if she comes back I'll report her for harassment.
But now I feel so bad and stupid because she's for sure mentally ill.

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Aug 24 2020, 9:17 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I told her that she shouldn't be screaming at kids and if she comes back I'll report her for harassment.
But now I feel so bad and stupid because she's for sure mentally ill.
You need to set limits with the mentally ill. It sounds like you did well. You let her know that her behavior wasn’t acceptable and that there would be consequences if she kept doing it. Just make sure you follow through.
There’s a home for the severely mentally ill a few blocks from my old address. It’s scary because they don’t mean anything bad but they genuinely have no clue where to draw the line.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 24 2020, 9:20 pm
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
You need to set limits with the mentally ill. It sounds like you did well. You let her know that her behavior wasn’t acceptable and that there would be consequences if she kept doing it. Just make sure you follow through.
There’s a home for the severely mentally ill a few blocks from my old address. It’s scary because they don’t mean anything bad but they genuinely have no clue where to draw the line.

I don't know why I'm nervous that she might physically hurt the kids. I'll be on the lookout over the next few days.

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Aug 24 2020, 9:25 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I don't know why I'm nervous that she might physically hurt the kids. I'll be on the lookout over the next few days.
I was told that anyone who’s been violent isn’t allowed to roam freely, and the people roaming the streets are annoying but harmless. Can’t hurt to keep an eye out tho

Iymnok

Post Tue, Aug 25 2020, 1:52 am
The sanitation crew should be sweeping up whatever they drop. That sounds so gross.

Success10

Post Tue, Aug 25 2020, 3:25 am
I was once walking with my (then) 3 kids, and some lady started screaming that I have way too many kids and pretty soon, the whole walkway would just be filled with my kids and she advised which method of birth control I need to use asap!

I later heard from my friends that she's known in the community for being unstable and really not taking to kids very well.

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Aug 25 2020, 6:20 am
Success10 wrote:
I was once walking with my (then) 3 kids, and some lady started screaming that I have way too many kids and pretty soon, the whole walkway would just be filled with my kids and she advised which method of birth control I need to use asap!

I later heard from my friends that she's known in the community for being unstable and really not taking to kids very well.

Oh. My. Goodness.

amother
Green

Post Tue, Aug 25 2020, 7:17 am
Wow so sorry this happened! You handled it beautifully Op. Understand your concern but think she won't make another appearance and if she did yes file a harassment report.
Empathy is great while at the same time your kids and family come first.

rdmom

Post Tue, Aug 25 2020, 8:15 am
I used to live on a corner in Brooklyn. You couldn’t go out on garbage day. For some odd reason, that corner was a bit on a angle and every time the garbage was crushed in the truck, crushed up food and dirt and disgusting smelly stuff would come pouring out. The smell on garbage day was awful. No. I wasn’t supposed to clean it up. They just left it there as if nothing. Eventually the rain would take care of it. But sometimes what we saw there was absolutely awful.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 25 2020, 8:58 am
Success10 wrote:

OMG!!! Oh my!

mochamix18

Post Tue, Aug 25 2020, 10:33 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Oh, that would be nice.
So maybe I should stop talking about it and ignore her if she comes back.

It would give you the zchus to give someone a bracha that needs a yeshua. Not sure if someone already wrote that. In any case echoing the few comments I did read, refuah shelaima to that woman and I’m sorry for how it is effecting your children.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 5:09 pm
I feel so bad and stupid now. She came back yelling that "you're those lazy jews" and another neighbor happened to be outside. I told her she's been harassing us and the neighbor said she knows this woman. She had a mental breakdown and her kids disowned her. She refuses any help. She sleeps in people's sheds claiming that it's her house & wanders into people’s houses. She's been hospitalized a couple of times but keeps being let out for some reason. I feel so bad that I said I'll call the police for harassment, but my neighbor said I did the right thing. She shouldn't be on the streets.
Hope she gets the help she needs.

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Aug 30 2020, 1:56 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I feel so bad and stupid now. She came back yelling that "you're those lazy jews" and another neighbor happened to be outside. I told her she's been harassing us and the neighbor said she knows this woman. She had a mental breakdown and her kids disowned her. She refuses any help. She sleeps in people's sheds claiming that it's her house & wanders into people’s houses. She's been hospitalized a couple of times but keeps being let out for some reason. I feel so bad that I said I'll call the police for harassment, but my neighbor said I did the right thing. She shouldn't be on the streets.
Hope she gets the help she needs.

As someone who took care of a loved one who dealt with mental illness as part of their last months of life, I am asking you to PLEASE reach out to whomever you can think of to help this woman. I don't know what services exist near you, but if you can mention her name and situation to whatever social services or chesed organizations you have near you, you may be able to greatly increase the quality of her life, not to mention extend the length of it. How long before she tries to sleep somewhere not safe, or wanders into a shed with a damaged ceiling or floor? How long before she wanders into the wrong person's home and gets hurt or killed because she's seen as a dangerous intruder?

I don't know what happened with her kids and I try not to judge - dealing with someone with that type of situation is physically and emotionally exhausting, and it may be at some point her kids couldn't cope - or they felt she wasn't safe to have around their own kids. But if you or your neighbor can find another relative to step in, that would also be an amazing chesed. They wouldn't have to be there full time, they could arrange for an agency or home health aide service to do the day to day work, while simply being a constant in the background.

Even if this woman could just get put on the right meds, she might be able to at least improve a bit.

As for why they might have let her out of the hospital, sometimes it can be an insurance thing and sometimes the patient is viewed as not a threat to herself or others. If the patient asks to leave and there are no life saving reasons to keep her, and there is no family around to take control of the situation, sometimes that can get her out, too.

I'm sorry you are dealing with this. Sad Maybe your kids will be less scared if they understand that she is someone going through a difficult time and that's why she acted the way she did?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette