Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Donating hair

silverlining3

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 12:38 pm
Hi
I'm planning to donate my daughters hair after the summer Iyh. So my questions are
-What's the minimum length?
-which organizations are out there?
-do I need to know anything? or the hair professional knows?

Tia

singleagain

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 12:39 pm
I think most is minimum 12".

You'll want to braid it between two pony holders.

After that I'm not sure

Elfrida

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 12:55 pm
silverlining3 wrote:
Hi
I'm planning to donate my daughters hair after the summer Iyh. So my questions are

I'm assuming that your daughter is on board with this? It just sounds rather a sweeping statement!

I've heard that the minimum is a ten inch braid.

Organisations that deal with children with cancer could probably help you find somewhere near where you live.

BatyaEsther

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 1:06 pm
Different organizations have different length requirements. I would definitely check out Zichron Menachem and Chai Lifeline. (I think Chai Lifeline has a longer requirement).

mamma llama

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 1:15 pm
BatyaEsther wrote:
Different organizations have different length requirements. I would definitely check out Zichron Menachem and Chai Lifeline. (I think Chai Lifeline has a longer requirement).

This. I believe Zichron Menachem requires 10-12 inches and Chai Lifeline requires 14 inches.

MiriFr

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 2:31 pm
I donated 12 inches not braided to zm

silverlining3

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 10:05 pm
Anyone with the number of the 2 organizations mentioned?

eagle

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 10:46 pm
This might be helpful https://zichron.org/en/hair-donation/
I've donated my hair 3 times already, once when I was single and twice while married. I do one braid and measure 10 inches.

silverlining3

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 10:55 pm
eagle wrote:
This might be helpful https://zichron.org/en/hair-donation/
I've donated my hair 3 times already, once when I was single and twice while married. I do one braid and measure 10 inches.

I'll check out that link soon. Thanks Though I won't be the one cutting, I want professional. She'll go from stunning super long yummy hair to a short cute Bob or something. I can't afford to botch it up ha

eagle

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 10:58 pm
I didn't cut it myself. I had it done by a hair stylist who then cut my hair - she is familiar with it too. I had to mail the braid after.

silverlining3

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 11:41 pm
Oh okay

mommyfish

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 11:51 pm
We did it in the winter with my daughters hair. Did a lot of research. Chai Lifeline doesn’t use the actual hair and requires a longer length. Zichron Menachem took 10.5 inches. We actually had someone going to EY and they videoed giving them the hair. They sent a beautiful certificate that made my daughter feel really good. It was a beautiful mitzvah and very meaningful for my 6 year old. (Who loved the idea right when I explained it to her. Would never have done it otherwise.) It also prompted a chain reaction and a bunch of her cousins did it after her.

Sunny Days

Post Sun, Aug 30 2020, 2:54 am
Op, how many inches do you have now?

silverlining3

Post Mon, Nov 09 2020, 3:00 pm
Thanks all for your help. Had the required amount.

silverlining3

Post Mon, Nov 09 2020, 3:03 pm
mommyfish wrote:
We did it in the winter with my daughters hair. Did a lot of research. Chai Lifeline doesn’t use the actual hair and requires a longer length. Zichron Menachem took 10.5 inches. We actually had someone going to EY and they videoed giving them the hair. They sent a beautiful certificate that made my daughter feel really good. It was a beautiful mitzvah and very meaningful for my 6 year old. (Who loved the idea right when I explained it to her. Would never have done it otherwise.) It also prompted a chain reaction and a bunch of her cousins did it after her.

This is so beautiful.

silverlining3

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 9:44 am
Just ftr, both organizations, Zichron Menachem and Chai Lifeline, accept from 12 inches. (Could be Chai Lifeline prefers 14", but 12" was also fine.)

mamma llama

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 10:26 am
silverlining3 wrote:
Just ftr, both organizations, Zichron Menachem and Chai Lifeline, accept from 12 inches. (Could be Chai Lifeline prefers 14", but 12" was also fine.)

Zichron Menachem prefers 12, but they actually allow starting from 10 inches.

silverlining3

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 10:34 am
Oh wow. Had I known..Lol kidding. I thought I don't have enough now.
Good to know-if will ever be that long again. Thanks

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 12:50 pm
Here's a really good investigation into different hair charities - Warning, a couple of swear words, but not a lot.

Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics