Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
HELP! Ants are invading!! Need container advice Quick!!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 10:53 pm
Only anon as I have asked people in real life for recommendations but haven't heard back from them. I have a crazy case of ants here in my apartment. Somehow they invaded SEALED bags of rice. Not just those "boil in a bag" ones that have little holes so we know it could get infested. But completely sealed bags of rice and beans...

Need some recommendations of airtight containers. Preferably clear/see-through as they will be in my cabinet and I need to know what I am grabbing when I stand on a stool to get it down. Oh, and lightweight, odor resistant, able to buy online (like Amazon or walmart) or at a national retailer, and stackable would be pluses. Some will be for longer-term storage. I cannot deal with the bugs anymore. I can't keep throwing out food because of the ants...And while I am on a budget I would rather not waste money on rice that has to get thrown out...

THANKS!!

Success10

Post Thu, Aug 27 2020, 2:12 am
That's gross! Have you tried an exterminator or buying high quality "ant gel"? It works for a bit.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 27 2020, 3:29 am
Will have to look into ant gel. We spent time spraying down the cabinets that they were in. But what we really need is storage containers... I should change the title here. I need something that will stop the ants from destroying my rice, beans, barley... I don't want to find dead and alive ants and other bugs in my food that I am about to cook!!

Elfrida

Post Thu, Aug 27 2020, 5:58 am
I've had excellent experience with Lock & Lock containers. I keep all my grains etc in them, and I've yet to find an ant or any other creature in them. They come in a variety of shapes and sizes, stack well and you can order them on Amazon. The only time I've managed to break one of the was when I left the lid in the oven (don't ask) and it melted.

The main drawback that I find is that they don't nest. That isn't a problem if you are using them for long term storage, but if you are trying to store empty containers they begin taking up a lot of space. I still find it worth keeping a few available for lunches, because they also never leak.

Bluepink

Post Thu, Aug 27 2020, 6:04 am
We keep rice flour etc in the freezer..

themom

Post Thu, Aug 27 2020, 7:55 am
I keep rice and beans in the fridge. Flour too. It really helps.

Teomima

Post Thu, Aug 27 2020, 8:00 am
Lock & Lock. A number of years ago we had an issue with pantry months that also get into everything. Even stylish glass jars with rubber dams around the lid. That's when we changed everything to Lock & Lock boxes. They work well and tick off all of your boxes.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Aug 27 2020, 9:08 am
The Oxo containers lock and nest beautifully. Real quality containers.
I had a problem with ants too, bought Terra ant baits online. Worked like magic

ra_mom

Post Thu, Aug 27 2020, 11:05 am
If you hire and exterminator to come spray, they will be gone instantaneously. You will see a dead one in or there for another day or two. But you won't have to worry about them.

For sure get containers to keep them away. But you might want to just bite the bullet and get rid of them now.

gyf45

Post Thu, Aug 27 2020, 11:09 am
Did u try going to the hardware store or grocery and buying ant poison? Don’t waste money on exterminator put them around where ants come from/ nest - soon they’ll be all gone. They come in small black plastic containers- lethal to ants and they bring the poison back to their nest and it kills them all.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Aug 27 2020, 11:11 am
For next summer season, be prepared and put out full gel bait stations around pesach time to keep them away so you don't have to spend money on an exterminator. Sounds the the infestation is too far gone for these this season.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.....psc=1

gyf45

Post Thu, Aug 27 2020, 11:13 am
You cld also sprinkling baking soda around your rice and beans they try to avoid it at all costs cuz it kills them

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 27 2020, 11:17 am
So my MIL tried the exterminator route but was told by the exterminator that they can't really get rid of them forever because of where we live, weather etc.
RE: using the fridge/freezer- I can't store everything in there! I live in a building and don't have space for a second fridge or freezer. And if I put everything in the fridge I wouldn't have room for refrigerated items like milk or yogurt!! The bugs went into sealed, never opened bags!

gyf45

Post Thu, Aug 27 2020, 11:20 am
At least u cld keep it under control try the methods mentioned above and I’m sure you’ll see an improvement. Hatzlacha

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 31 2020, 3:17 am
So besides Lock and Lock any other companies for containers? As I said, killing is only half the equation. I can have ant traps, sprays, and an exterminator come but they will always be there... Putting things in containers has worked but I didn't like them fòr one reason or another. Broke really easily or stopped being airtight. I need something that will fit on my shelves (not round!!) and won't let bugs in.

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Aug 31 2020, 4:11 am
We have a major ant issue as well. They haven't gotten into our beans, but they infested our cereal boxes. I started putting the cereal bags into ziplocks within the cereal boxes and problem solved!

Have you tried double bagging your beans and rice? Using ziplock bags won't take up any extra pantry space.

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Aug 31 2020, 4:32 am
Another vote for lock & lock. They do square and rectangular containers, not just round, and mine have remained airtight for more than ten years.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics