Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Summer homework

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 31 2020, 11:18 am
I really tried!
I feel bad that my kids didn’t finish their summer homework but I really tried! Does everyone really do it? What about this year?

mha3484

Post Mon, Aug 31 2020, 11:23 am
I dont make my kids do it. If they want to for the prize I will encourage it but I dont make a power struggle out of it. We encourage a lot of reading and to me that is the most important thing. They also learn at camp so they are not lagging in skills in terms of limudei kodesh.

ExtraCredit

Post Mon, Aug 31 2020, 11:26 am
I’m not done with the winter/Corona break homework yet. Confused

Blessing1

Post Mon, Aug 31 2020, 11:30 am
I didn't even take the summer homework out of their backpacks! They've had a hard enough few months, they & I didn't need the pressure of summer homework. We made sure to practice kriya and Reading and one DD needed writing practice. But no daily homework.

Last edited by Blessing1 on Mon, Aug 31 2020, 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total

Stars

Post Mon, Aug 31 2020, 11:30 am
Daily reading for kids under 7 is important. Everything else gets reviewed in school during the first few weeks. Don’t drive yourself crazy. If you feel a kid needs a bit more next year you can hire a tutor. It’s not great for parents to act as their child’s tutor anyway.

silverlining3

Post Mon, Aug 31 2020, 11:33 am
Don't talk about summer homework TMI

keym

Post Mon, Aug 31 2020, 11:36 am
I made a conscious decision not to push summer homework this year.
Last year's remote learning really took a toll on my relationship with my kids with me having to be the one reminding and nagging them to call in and do the work.
I believe in the importance and discipline of school work so I pushed, but I was not willing to make the same sacrifice for summer work.
I'm really hoping the teachers will actually be understanding of the educational deficits that last year's remote learning created. I'm nervous that they'll pay lip service to understanding that children are behind but won't really be understanding and will push out of pocket tutoring.

ShishKabob

Post Mon, Aug 31 2020, 11:37 am
You mean my kids got summer homework? Smile lol

ExtraCredit

Post Mon, Aug 31 2020, 11:38 am
ShishKabob wrote:
You mean my kids got summer homework? Smile lol

Check their knapsacks. You might be in for a surprise. (Plus a rotten sandwich)

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Aug 31 2020, 11:38 am
It was really hard this year. I needed and break and the kids needed a break. They read all summer and davened inside the siddur so I'm hoping that helped them with reading in b both languages.
Dd's going to be devastated that I forgot most of the summer. She's the type who really wants to be the one who always has her work done and gets the prizes.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Aug 31 2020, 11:40 am
This year is an anomaly. Many families were unable to complete summer homework. The schools are preparing for the "fall back" that happened since March. I just spoke to a HS math teacher, who said that it was clear from the math placement exams the entering 9th graders took in June (3 months ago!) that the kids really slid in math skills, and as such, they are structuring the math classes to accommodate the slide that happened while the kids were home. Most of those kids were on Zoom classes. The kids who did phone school are probably even further behind. The same is true for all chumash, kriya, shorashim, etc.

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Aug 31 2020, 11:42 am
I have one kid who got work. The work was sub par, even for his grade level, and there were a LOT of duplicate pages. I went online and printed out my own packet of work for him to do. He did a couple pages here and there. Then last week he decided he wants his own hoverboard. After discussing it with my husband, we told him that when he finishes the packet I printed for him, he can get a hoverboard. I also told him that every time he finishes 10 pages, he can get a book. So far he’s gotten either 2 or 3 books.
Just want to add that I don’t usually make my kids do summer homework, I don’t think they really need it. I used it this year because at the time it was the only thing I could think of to use as a way for him to earn what he wanted.

ShishKabob

Post Mon, Aug 31 2020, 11:46 am
ExtraCredit wrote:
Check their knapsacks. You might be in for a surprise. (Plus a rotten sandwich)
I was really just trying to insinuate that I didn't even take it as my burden for even one extra second. If my kids want to do it, good for them and the responsibility to remember to do it is on them as well.
the truth is, that if one of them were in first grade and needed extra help with reading I would probably be on top of it, but since that's not the case this year, and plus Corona, I did not even make believe that I care a hoot about it. Sorry, I'm usually not this way, but this year I am! Smile

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, Aug 31 2020, 12:50 pm
I hate summer homework!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children