Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Leftover cholent

Post Mon, Aug 31 2020, 3:34 pm
What can I do with leftover cholent?

Blessing1

Post Mon, Aug 31 2020, 3:35 pm
Eat it or dump it.

angelgirl

Post Mon, Aug 31 2020, 3:58 pm
Freeze it. Straight after Shabbos meal it goes in a container and in the freezer.

Blessing1

Post Mon, Aug 31 2020, 4:37 pm
angelgirl wrote:
Freeze it. Straight after Shabbos meal it goes in a container and in the freezer.

How do you rewarm it so that it's good?? I froze chalont one time and it was awful.

sky

Post Mon, Aug 31 2020, 4:40 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
How do you rewarm it so that it's good?? I froze chalont one time and it was awful.

My boys go to a minyan for bachrim and almost all Cholent is froZen. The boys either can’t tell or don’t care because they polish it off.
9x13 wrapped tight is put in shul oven before Shabbos.

But honestly I’ve never sever it at home. My kids are happy to eat leftover Cholent all week.

angelgirl

Post Mon, Aug 31 2020, 4:41 pm
Blessing1 wrote:

Just put in crockpot an hour or two before Shabbos and leave on low. I use a crockpot bag that needs water underneath it, and twist the bag to ‘seal’ it and then put lid on, so it doesn’t dry out.

Never noticed any difference in taste to how it was the week before when fresh. Lots of stores sells frozen cholent too so I didn’t think there would be any difference if I tried. Cook once eat twice it’s fab!

zaq

Post Mon, Aug 31 2020, 5:20 pm
We cheerfully eat leftover cholent all week, whether or not it was frozen first. But if you dislike it after Shabbos, add some broth and vegetables and make it into a rich soup.

My advice to people whose families refuse to eat leftover cholent every week, or whose families eat leftover cholent but get tired of it long before it's finished, is this: Measure your ingredients and make only as much cholent as you can reasonably expect to consume. Zaq's Law of Cholentdynamics-- the first of the five Gas Laws--states that cholent expands to fill the space allotted, so use progressively smaller pots until you find the size that works best for your crew.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics