Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Non Scale Victory

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Aug 31 2020, 11:21 pm
I walked 150 km in August. What’s really funny is that this is not really even that much per day. But boy, it adds up! Interesting though that it really doesn’t make a difference to weight loss but wow, my
Legs! And that is still being 80 or so pounds overweight!

sneakermom

Post Mon, Aug 31 2020, 11:48 pm
That’s amazing!! Your’e strengthening your core muscles. It’s a game changer when you feel solid and strong.

Frumwithallergies

Post Mon, Aug 31 2020, 11:56 pm
Yay! Kol hakavod!
How will you celebrate? Applause

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Sep 01 2020, 12:21 am
Frumwithallergies wrote:
Yay! Kol hakavod!
How will you celebrate? Applause

That’s a funny question! I think the 150 km IS THE CELEBRATION!!! Can you imagine me having done this three plus years ago?

I have hip spurs. They are residual damage from being morbidly obese for so long. Last winter I went to a physio and he gave me exercises but I hated them. I’d been doing Jenny Ford step videos but it really bothered me that walking was so painful. He basically told me I had no choice- walking was essential to life. The spurs cause bursitis in a somewhat unpredictable way. I started waking around the time of the kick down. It was basically work out or get out each day at that point. Suddenly I was doing it.

Last Tuesday I walked 14 km with very little effect. On Shabbat I walked 14 km and it was so painful( of course I was stuck once that started so we had to walk home.) I’ll admit I was a bit cocky on Shabbat after the earlier walk being so good.

But it doesn’t last long and a bit of Advil sets me up to go again. Sunday was much shorter because I listened to my body. Today was around 8 km no pain at all.

So, yes, this whole thing is my celebration. As was buying new shoes because I wore the old ones out.

Did you have something in mind?

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Sep 01 2020, 12:23 am
sneakermom wrote:
That’s amazing!! Your’e strengthening your core muscles. It’s a game changer when you feel solid and strong.

I realized I was improving my balance when I started step last November. We’ve done some really hard hikes lately as well and I cannot believe how solid I am on a trail. I’m
Careful, yes. No desire to trip and fall down the escarpment! But what I can do now amazes me.

Next goal is paddling on a standing board for 12 km down the grand river. If I can stand while walking, I can probably do that too!

Frumwithallergies

Post Tue, Sep 01 2020, 12:31 am
andrea levy wrote:
That’s a funny question! I think the 150 km IS THE CELEBRATION!!! Can you imagine me having done this three plus years ago?

I have hip spurs. They are residual damage from being morbidly obese for so long. Last winter I went to a physio and he gave me exercises but I hated them. I’d been doing Jenny Ford step videos but it really bothered me that walking was so painful. He basically told me I had no choice- walking was essential to life. The spurs cause bursitis in a somewhat unpredictable way. I started waking around the time of the kick down. It was basically work out or get out each day at that point. Suddenly I was doing it.

Last Tuesday I walked 14 km with very little effect. On Shabbat I walked 14 km and it was so painful( of course I was stuck once that started so we had to walk home.) I’ll admit I was a bit cocky on Shabbat after the earlier walk being so good.

But it doesn’t last long and a bit of Advil sets me up to go again. Sunday was much shorter because I listened to my body. Today was around 8 km no pain at all.

So, yes, this whole thing is my celebration. As was buying new shoes because I wore the old ones out.

Did you have something in mind?

Honestly, I wasn't thinking of anything in particular... perhaps taking photos of you at the top of a summit hike? A photo of your fav shoes for posterity? A letter to yourself to open in 20 years? Something memorable, that helps you reflect and keep the memory of your strength!

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Sep 01 2020, 12:46 am
Frumwithallergies wrote:
Honestly, I wasn't thinking of anything in particular... perhaps taking photos of you at the top of a summit hike? A photo of your fav shoes for posterity? A letter to yourself to open in 20 years? Something memorable, that helps you reflect and keep the memory of your strength!

Most of our best walks happen on Shabbat because time is lots! So no camera, but I do have a pic of my shoes!
https://I.imgur.com/Kbi6GOc.jpg

https://I.imgur.com/2wqcVIG.jpg
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise