Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Great Recipe, These taste like Ostreichers Honey Cookies
1  2  Next

Ruchi

Post Sat, Sep 01 2018, 11:21 pm
The most delicious honey Cookies ever!!!
Tastes like the Ostreicher’s- this recipes is pretty simple.
Be careful with not to OVER-BAKE the cookies.
The cookie recipe is BIG but Feel free to halve it.
recipe from: @raizyscookin

SOFT HONEY COOKIES
Ingredients:
2 lb. Honey
2 1/2 cups sugar
10 eggs
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 sticks margarine
1 3/4 cups oil
2 tablespoons baking soda
5 lb. flour

Directions:
In a mixer combine the Honey, sugar, eggs and cinnamon till a smooth consistency. Add in the rst of the ingredients and mix well.
Refrigerate dough for an hour up-to overnight.
Preheat oven to 350.
Form balls with dough and placed ion a lined cookie sheet. Bake for 12 - 15 minutes (depending on oven). Make sure not to over-bake, you want them soft.

Ruchi

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 4:41 pm
Ruchi wrote:

SOFT HONEY COOKIES
Ingredients:
2 lb. Honey
2 1/2 cups sugar
10 eggs
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 sticks margarine
1 3/4 cups oil
5 lb. flour

Directions:
In a mixer combine the Honey, sugar, eggs and cinnamon till a smooth consistency. Add in the rst of the ingredients and mix well.
Preheat oven to 350.
Form balls with dough and placed ion a lined cookie sheet. Bake for 12 - 15 minutes (depending on oven). Make sure not to over-bake, you want them soft.

Let me tell you this:
I have never received so many compliments as I have for these Honey Cookies. It went like hotcakes! Everyone loved them to the last crumbs.
They are simple to make! Go ahead and make 'em. You will not regret it!

Mevater

Post Tue, Sep 24 2019, 4:11 pm
Anyone else made these?

Last edited by Mevater on Tue, Sep 24 2019, 4:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

greenfire

Post Tue, Sep 24 2019, 4:32 pm
Mevater wrote:
Anyone made these?

I'm guessing Ruchi did

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Sep 24 2019, 7:42 pm
Cool. If I didn't have dozens of Miriam Pascal's chocolate chip cookies minus the cc from her first cookbook in my freezer, I'd try them. (Tips: make them small, at 370, and check at 8 minutes.) They also seem like the commercial ones - and I do mean it as a compliment in this case.

hodeez

Post Tue, Sep 24 2019, 8:19 pm
Anyone successfully halved this recipe?

unexpected

Post Tue, Sep 24 2019, 9:49 pm
I just got this recipe home from school! Still think mine are better...

mom24.7

Post Sun, Aug 30 2020, 8:33 am
Ruchi wrote:

SOFT HONEY COOKIES
Ingredients:
2 lb. Honey
2 1/2 cups sugar
10 eggs
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 sticks margarine
1 3/4 cups oil
5 lb. flour

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350.

Can anyone halve or quarter this recipe for me

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Aug 30 2020, 9:15 am
mom24.7 wrote:

Yes! I actually tried to make a fifth of the recipe and I got a few dozen in 2 batches. (large cookie sheet). The first batch was raw in the middle, with the second I raised the temp a little. They were great. But I wouldn't try this again. The conventional wisdom is that 1 lb of flour = 3.5 cups but bags settle. (I used about 3 1/4 cups.) I'd really want to measure the whole bag and do a fifth of that, which is really tedious. If anyone has a tried and true reduced version, I.e. you actually not just did the math but made them, I'd also appreciate it.

iyar

Post Sun, Aug 30 2020, 10:04 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Yes! I actually tried to make a fifth of the recipe and I got a few dozen in 2 batches. (large cookie sheet). The first batch was raw in the middle, with the second I raised the temp a little. They were great. But I wouldn't try this again. The conventional wisdom is that 1 lb of flour = 3.5 cups but bags settle. (I used about 3 1/4 cups.) I'd really want to measure the whole bag and do a fifth of that, which is really tedious. If anyone has a tried and true reduced version, I.e. you actually not just did the math but made them, I'd also appreciate it.

If you want to measure flour accurately a food scale is a better choice than a measuring cup. When you weigh it on a scale 1 lb of flour = a lb of flour!

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Aug 30 2020, 9:06 pm
iyar wrote:
If you want to measure flour accurately a food scale is a better choice than a measuring cup. When you weigh it on a scale 1 lb of flour = a lb of flour!

Right. So not having a scale, I'm wondering if anyone's tried and tweaked and can share.
(As an aside, many poskim say that because of how whole wheat flour is made, 5 lbs. isn't 5 actual pounds and a problem re making a bracha. So it's best to use more, IIRC 1/4 of a 5 lb. bag. To be on the safe side, I make 1 1/3 times my 5 lb. recipe and I measure exactly how many cups are in the second bag and take 1/3 because I know it can settle.)

ra_mom

Post Sun, Aug 30 2020, 9:49 pm
It's easier to convert to 2/5 if you use a 2 pound bag of flour.

Mevater

Post Mon, Aug 31 2020, 8:22 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Right. So not having a scale, I'm wondering if anyone's tried and tweaked and can share.
(As an aside, many poskim say that because of how whole wheat flour is made, 5 lbs. isn't 5 actual pounds and a problem re making a bracha. So it's best to use more, IIRC 1/4 of a 5 lb. bag. To be on the safe side, I make 1 1/3 times my 5 lb. recipe and I measure exactly how many cups are in the second bag and take 1/3 because I know it can settle.)

I never in my life heard about 5 pounds of whole wheat flour not being considered a true 5 pounds. Scales dont lie. Even if grains shift, or whatever, 5 pounds is 5 pounds.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Aug 31 2020, 9:41 am
Mevater wrote:
I never in my life heard about 5 pounds of whole wheat flour not being considered a true 5 pounds. Scales dont lie. Even if grains shift, or whatever, 5 pounds is 5 pounds.

It has to do with the processing. It's not 5 lbs. of pure flour but has something mixed in that doesn't count to the cheshbon.

Mevater

Post Tue, Sep 01 2020, 12:26 am
PinkFridge wrote:
It has to do with the processing. It's not 5 lbs. of pure flour but has something mixed in that doesn't count to the cheshbon.

So why has it never been mentioned (that Im aware of) in any cookbooks with whole wheat Challah recipes, that to take Challah, Halachically, you need more than a 5 pound bag of flour (with whole wheat flour)?

WitchKitty

Post Tue, Sep 01 2020, 1:20 am
PinkFridge wrote:

This is interesting. Can you explain?
In the times of the gemara most people used whole wheat. So I'm guessing that taking challa was calculated according to that.
But maybe the way we calculate it today takes into account that it's white flour?
Or do they make whole wheat these days the same way brown sugar is made- make white sugar and add the molasses back? That might make it an added part.

Ruchi

Post Tue, Sep 01 2020, 6:16 am
hodeez wrote:
Anyone successfully halved this recipe?

Yes! I halve the recipe and it comes out perfect.
I recommend to leave the dough overnight in the fridge (covered) and it is then a breeze to work with.

Ruchi

Post Tue, Sep 01 2020, 6:22 am
mom24.7 wrote:

Half the recipe:

1 lb honey (21.4 Tablespoons - 10.7 fl oz)
1 1/4 cups sugar
5 eggs
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 stick margarine
3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons oil
1 tablespoon Baking Soda
2 1/2 lb flour (10 cups)

B’ Hatzlacha!

top mom

Post Tue, Sep 01 2020, 11:35 am
I made half the recipe now, I actually used oat flour, due to allergies.
They are absolutely delicious 😋😋😋😋
Very chewy and fluffy!
Thanks Ruchy!

Ruchi

Post Tue, Sep 01 2020, 2:03 pm
top mom wrote:
I made half the recipe now, I actually used oat flour, due to allergies.
They are absolutely delicious 😋😋😋😋
Very chewy and fluffy!
Thanks Ruchy!

You are very welcome!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins