Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Always chewing on everything!!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 01 2020, 2:41 pm
My 5 yr old dd is always chewing everything. She ruins her cloths hers & her siblings toys. Is it normal? Can I help her stop?

amother
Red

Post Tue, Sep 01 2020, 2:44 pm
DD was like that. It's a sensory issue and she got OT for it.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Sep 01 2020, 2:53 pm
for my kids mouthing and oral sensory seeking is a sign of strep. It can also indicate mineral deficiencies.

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Sep 01 2020, 4:23 pm
Yes most definitely could be a sensory issues. Sounds like she is seeking a lot of input orally. Try to give her that input in other ways so she doesn't ruin her clothes/toys etc. Teach her how to chew gum. Give her crunchy snacks (sourdough pretzels, baby carrots, rice cakes). Buy her a chewy necklace (kind of gross but may be worthwhile).

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 01 2020, 4:39 pm
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
for my kids mouthing and oral sensory seeking is a sign of strep. It can also indicate mineral deficiencies.

This is going on for months & I have had her checked for strep that’s not what it is.

twogees

Post Tue, Sep 01 2020, 4:41 pm
Get her ot for sensory. My sons the exact same way. We did ot almost 2 yrs ago and will be going back now again.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 01 2020, 4:41 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
Yes most definitely could be a sensory issues. Sounds like she is seeking a lot of input orally. Try to give her that input in other ways so she doesn't ruin her clothes/toys etc. Teach her how to chew gum. Give her crunchy snacks (sourdough pretzels, baby carrots, rice cakes). Buy her a chewy necklace (kind of gross but may be worthwhile).

I know it’s most likely a sensory issue. It’s not something I have ever had with anyone so I’m looking for ideas to help her.
My problem with gum is she can’t go to school with it. Same with a necklace. She has access to crunchy snacks whenever she wants.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 01 2020, 4:42 pm
amother [ Red ] wrote:
DD was like that. It's a sensory issue and she got OT for it.

I guess I need to look into OT. Where do I start her Dr?

amother
Red

Post Tue, Sep 01 2020, 4:55 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I guess I need to look into OT. Where do I start her Dr?

You can call any therapy center/therapist for an evaluation. You can also ask the pediatrician for a referral.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 01 2020, 5:11 pm
amother [ Red ] wrote:
You can call any therapy center/therapist for an evaluation. You can also ask the pediatrician for a referral.

Thank you

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Sep 01 2020, 5:36 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
This is going on for months & I have had her checked for strep that’s not what it is.
she could still have chronic subclinical strep going on even if it’s not showing up on a culture. Is she otherwise neurotypical? Is this her only concerning behavior?

nchr

Post Tue, Sep 01 2020, 5:37 pm
That's normal. Buy her some teething toys. That way she'll ask for them when she wants to chew and she hopefully won't chew clothes.

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Sep 01 2020, 6:09 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I know it’s most likely a sensory issue. It’s not something I have ever had with anyone so I’m looking for ideas to help her.
My problem with gum is she can’t go to school with it. Same with a necklace. She has access to crunchy snacks whenever she wants.

The school can make an accommodation for her and allow the gum. Alternatively, there are chewy necklaces, but my son was teased for it
Also, I found that it got much worse when he was anxious and treating the underlying anxiety helped too.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 01 2020, 6:36 pm
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
she could still have chronic subclinical strep going on even if it’s not showing up on a culture. Is she otherwise neurotypical? Is this her only concerning behavior?

Bh no other concerning behavior.

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Sep 01 2020, 7:00 pm
Its normal. I actually know a few adults like that too and when they were kids they loved the pacifier.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers