Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Sources for the concept that hashem tests a tzaddik

lk1234

Post Tue, Sep 01 2020, 5:59 pm
ok -all you teachers out there, give me your best sources/divrei torah/vort for the concept that hashem tests a tzaddik. That the fact that a person is tested continuously is a sign that they are a tzaddik. I find this concept extremely comforting for me at the present where I am being tested in so many different areas of life. Please share your mekoros, divrei torah etc.

Thank you in advance Smile

miami85

Post Tue, Sep 01 2020, 6:08 pm
I also don't feel particularly righteous, though people say it to me all the time because I am definitely being tested on every front right now.

SuperWify

Post Tue, Sep 01 2020, 6:21 pm
Tzaddik vi rah lo comes to mind.

A”A and his ten tests

IvriAnochi

Post Tue, Sep 01 2020, 6:30 pm
Bezrat Hashem, if Hashem sends a test your way, you should pass it successfully! However, we learn from Dovid Hamelech to beg Hashem not to test us..
Dovid asked Hashem to test him, because he believed he will pass it. So Hashem sent Batsheva as a test, and unfortunately Dovid did not pass this test and he did teshuva the rest of his life for this mistake.

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Sep 01 2020, 6:34 pm
Op, do you find that hashem tests tzadikim more than others?

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Sep 01 2020, 6:50 pm
ה' צדיק יבחן" - תהלים יא:ה"

אם יסורים באים על אדם, מסתמא שה' אוהב אותו - I believe this came from the Vilna Gaon.

"כי את אשר יאהב ה' יוכיח וכאב את בן ירצה" - Mishlei 3:12

"ומשלם לשונאיו אל פניו להאבידו" (Devarim 7:10) - Hashem gives resha'im schar in this world for whatever good they do in order to wipe them out from the World to Come. I can't remember offhand what the corresponding pasuk is, but it says that Hashem gives a tzadik yesurim in this world to make up for whatever small flaws they have in order to give them their full reward in Olam Haba.

"וישב יעקב"
ביקש יעקב לישב בשלוה קפץ עליו רוגזו של יוסף - צדיקים מבקשים לישב בשלוה בעולם הזה, מה אומר הקב"ה - לא דיים לצדיקים מה שמתוקן להם לעתיד לבא אלא שמבקשים לישב בשלוה בעולם הזה
Yaakov wanted to live in peace, and immediately, the anger [hardship] of Yosef jumped upon him; when tzadikim want to live in peace in this world, Hashem says, is it not enough for the tzadikim the reward that awaits them in Olam Haba, that they also want to live in peace in this world?!

Is that enough? Smile

lk1234

Post Tue, Sep 01 2020, 6:54 pm
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
Op, do you find that hashem tests tzadikim more than others?

I guess it just feels comforting to view my struggles as being "chosen" being "special" or "up to the challenge". In some strange way it is a comfort to me and will help me keep going. I could hear if people think this is weird, I guess whatever works Smile

lk1234

Post Tue, Sep 01 2020, 6:54 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:

אם יסורים באים על אדם, מסתמא שה' אוהב אותו - I believe this came from the Vilna Gaon.

"ומשלם לשונאיו אל פניו להאבידו" (Devarim 7:10) - Hashem gives resha'im schar in this world for whatever good they do in order to wipe them out from the World to Come. I can't remember offhand what the corresponding pasuk is, but it says that Hashem gives a tzadik yesurim in this world to make up for whatever small flaws they have in order to give them their full reward in Olam Haba.

"וישב יעקב"
ביקש יעקב לישב בשלוה קפץ עליו רוגזו של יוסף - צדיקים מבקשים לישב בשלוה בעולם הזה, מה אומר הקב"ה - לא דיים לצדיקים מה שמתוקן להם לעתיד לבא אלא שמבקשים לישב בשלוה בעולם הזה
Yaakov wanted to live in peace, and immediately, the anger [hardship] of Yosef jumped upon him; when tzadikim want to live in peace in this world, Hashem says, is it not enough for the tzadikim the reward that awaits them in Olam Haba, that they also want to live in peace in this world?!

Is that enough? Smile

oh wow- yes! Thank you!

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Sep 01 2020, 7:24 pm
If you like your sources... Beraishis Rabbah 55:2

ב. (שם יא) ה' צדיק יבחן ורשע ואוהב חמס שנאה נפשו א"ר יונתן הפשתני הזה כשפשתנו לוקה אינו מקיש עליו ביותר מפני שהיא פוקעת וכשפשתנו יפה הוא מקיש עליו ביותר למה שהיא משתבחת והולכת כך הקדוש ברוך הוא אינו מנסה את הרשעים למה שאין יכולין לעמוד דכתיב (ישעיה נז) והרשעים כים נגרש ואת מי מנסה את הצדיקים שנא' (תהלים יא) ה' צדיק יבחן

(בראשית לט) ויהי אחר הדברים האלה ותשא אשת אדוניו וגו' ויהי אחר הדברים האלה אמר רבי יונתן היוצר הזה כשהוא בודק את הכבשן שלו אינו בודק את הכלים המרועעים למה שאינו מספיק להקיש עליו אחת עד הוא שוברו ומה הוא בודק בקנקנים ברורים שאפילו הוא מקיש עליו כמה פעמים אינו שוברו כך אין הקב"ה מנסה את הרשעים אלא את הצדיקים שנאמר ה' צדיק יבחן

א"ר אלעזר לבעל הבית שהיה לו שתי פרות אחת כחה יפה ואחת כחה רע על מי הוא נותן את העול לא על אותה שכחה יפה כך אין הקדוש ברוך הוא מנסה אלא הצדיקים
שנאמר ה' צדיק יבח

The Medrash brings 3 meshalim to show why Hashem tests tzadikim and not reshaim.
1) like a cloth dealer who beats the strong cloth to make it softer but not the weak cloth which will just tear.
2) Like a potter who bangs on the strong pottery to show off but won't bang on the weak pottery which will break.
3) Like a landowner who plows with the strong cow who can handle it but not the weak cow.
So too, the medrash concludes, Hashem tests the Tzadikim and doesn't test the Reshaim.

I once heard the explanation of these three meshalim as follows:
1) The first one refers to a test who's purpose it to refine our middos, make us better people
2) The second refers to a test who's function is to make a Kiddush Hashem, by showing others the strength of our commitment
3) The third refers to a test which is necessary for God's plan in the world to be fulfilled.

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Sep 01 2020, 7:38 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:

"וישב יעקב"

Is that enough? Smile

The problem I have with this is that the words are clear but if we use the seichel hashem gave us, it's difficult to accept this at face value.

We see plenty of tzadikim live long wonderful lives with healthy children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren. They have shidduchim, parnassah, and all is good. We also see wicked people suffering in this world. I see a rally in LA yesterday. They are chanting "death to the jews". Do all these reshaim live good lives so that hashem can punish them in the next world? I don't think so. Many are suffering now as well.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Sep 01 2020, 7:58 pm
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
The problem I have with this is that the words are clear but if we use the seichel hashem gave us, it's difficult to accept this at face value.

We see plenty of tzadikim live long wonderful lives with healthy children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren. They have shidduchim, parnassah, and all is good. We also see wicked people suffering in this world. I see a rally in LA yesterday. They are chanting "death to the jews". Do all these reshaim live good lives so that hashem can punish them in the next world? I don't think so. Many are suffering now as well.

I'm not saying that I understand it. I am just quoting the sources.

I have the same questions as you do, and I've searched for answers.

Moshe wanted to know the answer to this eternal question, and Hashem said "כי לא יראני האדם וחי" -- no man can truly understand.

OP commented that she finds it helpful to know that G-d tests tzadikim, so I gave her some sources. I don't necessarily find it helpful myself.

someone

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 2:25 am
Look at perek 4 of the Messilat Yesharim. From the words עוד אמרו. The Ramchal has a whole discussion on this and brings tons of sources.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics