Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
ADD and at a loss...

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 01 2020, 5:15 pm
My 3rd grader with ADD and on medication, has been in school for a week and is coming home not knowing even one thing he learned. Not even one word in the possuk or even what it’s about.
I don’t know what to do about him.

lk1234

Post Tue, Sep 01 2020, 6:10 pm
ADD is a massive parsha of its own. Some people swear by vitamins, others by meds, others by CBT, DBT, physical exercise, OT - the list is endless and overwhelming at times.

I would start by listening to every single youtube video put out by Dr. Russel Barkally - he is amazing, says it like it is, without talking down to you. I would also encourage pre-teaching as much as you can and therapy so that your child has a place to air out his feelings in a safe space.

There is no magical answer - you have to take charge of this - I learned that no one else is going to take charge for your child other than you. You have to try to not see it as this annoying thing that will go away- it may eventually after years go away but like a puzzle, you'll need to figure it out, and grow yourself as a person. I know the feeling of just wanting this to just go away but I've since learned that if you accept the struggle and treat it almost like a game or puzzle to solve the journey will be so much easier.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children