Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Gesher Info NEEDED

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, May 01 2017, 5:21 pm
Hi all I just started looking into gesher in the 5 towns... please provide any info that you have including the price of tuition, your experience with the school and if you know if anyone travels in from Brooklyn.... or if there is a brooklyn equivalent. Thanks for your help

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, May 01 2017, 5:28 pm
We send there and are very happy. We moved from Queens to send there, though in retrospect we should have stayed and found a way to commute. You could definitely send from Brooklyn if you could find a way to get him back and forth. Tuition varies according to age (youngest is least and it goes up each year) but considering it's a special needs program, it's quite reasonable. I'm happy to discuss more details over email if you'd like.

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Dec 17 2018, 12:22 pm
We sent our child to Gesher and didn't have a positive experience. We were debating between Gesher, Cahal or mainstream school with a para. We decided to take what we thought would be the middle ground. We feel the staff wasn't really equipped to deal with special children. The only real advantage was the somewhat smaller classroom and increased teacher student ratio (18 kids vs 25). Tuition for 1st grade was about 18,000 and unlike Cahal, you cannot get reimbursed by the city. Their model seemed to be accept special children but then threaten parents with expulsion the if the child cannot keep up. One parent told me the director said "your child failed pre-1a and will need to repeat it." Another parent said the director issued a threat "if you child doesn't show progress you will have to send him to Cahal." Fyi, the stigma associated with Gesher is at least as significant as Cahal. When it came time to apply to regular schools we learned that principals were very wary of Gesher students' ability to keep up - even with the school's recommendation. In retrospect we would have been better off with Cahal for those years. My child would have gained more. Even a para in a regular school may have been better. The school is not very organized and the director is not quick to return calls - even for urgent matters. This was our experience. With have sent our different children to 5 Jewish schools throughout the years and have only had positive experiences with them.

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 10:17 pm
N/A

Last edited by amother on Wed, Jan 27 2021, 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 11:34 pm
I work there. while it is a wonderful school for some children, it is not the right place for every child. totally depends on the child's needs. I would agree, that it isnt necesaarily for a very low functioning .. there are expectations that a child can keep up with certain standards.

naomi2

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 1:41 pm
lollipop wrote:
We're in a similar situation, deciding whether to move from Queens, commute, or make do with a local option... I'd love to speak with you. Can you pm me?

Queens has a wonderful program in ycq called the yess program. You should look into that one before commuting or moving. Not sure how old your child is though

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Sep 01 2020, 7:59 pm
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
We send there and are very happy. We moved from Queens to send there, though in retrospect we should have stayed and found a way to commute. You could definitely send from Brooklyn if you could find a way to get him back and forth. Tuition varies according to age (youngest is least and it goes up each year) but considering it's a special needs program, it's quite reasonable. I'm happy to discuss more details over email if you'd like.
I'm looking into gesher also, how do you feel gesher was a better fit for your dc.

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Sep 01 2020, 8:00 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
I work there. while it is a wonderful school for some children, it is not the right place for every child. totally depends on the child's needs. I would agree, that it isnt necesaarily for a very low functioning .. there are expectations that a child can keep up with certain standards.
which meed do you feel gesher is good at addressing, and which needs do you feel the ild would be better off at a different school

Israeli

Post Tue, Sep 01 2020, 8:14 pm
My child was there for 2 years. You can pm me if you want

amother
Slategray

Post Sat, Sep 05 2020, 9:37 pm
100% agree with the below. The exact same situation happened with our child.
They were not well equipped for kids who need extra attention or are ADHD. Our very young child was sent to the office for days at a time, bored and not learning and not allowed to join the class. We were also threatened with expulsion.

We had an extremely negative experience there.
B"H we switched schools after a year and our child is now happy and learning well.

amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
We sent our child to Gesher and didn't have a positive experience. We were debating between Gesher, Cahal or mainstream school with a para. We decided to take what we thought would be the middle ground. We feel the staff wasn't really equipped to deal with special children. The only real advantage was the somewhat smaller classroom and increased teacher student ratio (18 kids vs 25). Tuition for 1st grade was about 18,000 and unlike Cahal, you cannot get reimbursed by the city. Their model seemed to be accept special children but then threaten parents with expulsion the if the child cannot keep up. One parent told me the director said "your child failed pre-1a and will need to repeat it." Another parent said the director issued a threat "if you child doesn't show progress you will have to send him to Cahal." Fyi, the stigma associated with Gesher is at least as significant as Cahal. When it came time to apply to regular schools we learned that principals were very wary of Gesher students' ability to keep up - even with the school's recommendation. In retrospect we would have been better off with Cahal for those years. My child would have gained more. Even a para in a regular school may have been better. The school is not very organized and the director is not quick to return calls - even for urgent matters. This was our experience. With have sent our different children to 5 Jewish schools throughout the years and have only had positive experiences with them.

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Sep 07 2020, 7:43 am
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
100% agree with the below. The exact same situation happened with our child.
They were not well equipped for kids who need extra attention or are ADHD. Our very young child was sent to the office for days at a time, bored and not learning and not allowed to join the class. We were also threatened with expulsion.

We had an extremely negative experience there.
B"H we switched schools after a year and our child is now happy and learning well.

to slategrey and papaya, where did you send your kid to school after, why did they threaten to expel a preschooler?

metacognizant

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 11:28 am
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:

Hi Khaki. I am looking into Gesher for my 4 year old son to enter next year. He is developmentally delayed for emotional, social, and sensory processing skills BUT he's extremely advanced verbally and cognitively. The administration at his PreK suggested we look into Gesher. Can I talk to you more about the school over email?

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 2:03 pm
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics