Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Great Recipe, These taste like Ostreichers Honey Cookies
Previous  1  2

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Sep 01 2020, 9:05 pm
WitchKitty wrote:

But maybe the way we calculate it today takes into account that it's white flour?
Or do they make whole wheat these days the same way brown sugar is made- make white sugar and add the molasses back? That might make it an added part.

From what I've heard something like that.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Sep 01 2020, 9:14 pm
Dd made a 2/5th recipe using a 2 pound bag of flour and the cookies are delicious! Thanks for posting.

Geulanow

Post Tue, Sep 01 2020, 9:20 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Right. So not having a scale, I'm wondering if anyone's tried and tweaked and can share.
(As an aside, many poskim say that because of how whole wheat flour is made, 5 lbs. isn't 5 actual pounds and a problem re making a bracha. So it's best to use more, IIRC 1/4 of a 5 lb. bag. To be on the safe side, I make 1 1/3 times my 5 lb. recipe and I measure exactly how many cups are in the second bag and take 1/3 because I know it can settle.)

Do you even have to take challah when there's no water in the ingredients? Or does the honey count like water?

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Sep 01 2020, 9:33 pm
Geulanow wrote:
Do you even have to take challah when there's no water in the ingredients? Or does the honey count like water?

I'm not worried about taking challah. That was tangential. I just want to make about a third of the recipe max.

Ruchi

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 1:36 am
ra_mom wrote:
Dd made a 2/5th recipe using a 2 pound bag of flour and the cookies are delicious! Thanks for posting.

Glad to hear Smile

CatLady

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 2:51 pm
I made a batch using 2/5 of the recipe, and the results were delicious! (I had to taste more than one cookie, for quality control.)

A few notes, for people who are super-specific in their recipes: I used a cookie scoop (2 T) and got 7 dozen cookies. That's 210 cookies for the entire recipe! They do not spread much, so I was able to get more on each cookie sheet. I also found that with my oven, I had to rotate the trays halfway through to avoid the bottoms scorching.

I'll know for sure after the family taste-test, but I think this recipe is a keeper!

Ruchi

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 3:31 pm
So happy to hear. Once the kids start eating this, they don't stop. It gets addictive.

Dalia

Post Thu, Sep 17 2020, 7:32 pm
can I make these without a mixer? without marg?

Ruchi

Post Thu, Sep 17 2020, 8:01 pm
Dalia wrote:

Sorry, I don't know. I haven't tried.

Last edited by Ruchi on Thu, Sep 17 2020, 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

ra_mom

Post Thu, Sep 17 2020, 8:56 pm
Dalia wrote:

Try these.
http://overtimecook.com/2017/0.....kies/

smiletoworld

Post Thu, Sep 17 2020, 9:12 pm
Ruchi wrote:
The most delicious honey Cookies ever!!!
Tastes like the Ostreicher’s- this recipes is pretty simple.
Be careful with not to OVER-BAKE the cookies.
The cookie recipe is BIG but Feel free to halve it.
recipe from: @raizyscookin

SOFT HONEY COOKIES
Ingredients:
2 lb. Honey
2 1/2 cups sugar
10 eggs
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 sticks margarine
1 3/4 cups oil
2 tablespoons baking soda
5 lb. flour

Directions:
In a mixer combine the Honey, sugar, eggs and cinnamon till a smooth consistency. Add in the rst of the ingredients and mix well.
Refrigerate dough for an hour up-to overnight.
Preheat oven to 350.
Form balls with dough and placed ion a lined cookie sheet. Bake for 12 - 15 minutes (depending on oven). Make sure not to over-bake, you want them soft.

The real ostreicher cookies have ground cloves in it

mammaboy

Post Thu, Sep 17 2020, 11:30 pm
Dalia wrote:

I made them without mixer and used oil instead of margarine. Came out delicious. I also tried it with margarine came out better.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins