Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
What makes you lose your place in olam habah?
1  2  3  Next

PeanutMama

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 1:28 am
My husband said that he once heard a rav from Flatbush say that if someone watches movies or tv they lose their place in olam habah.
Is this true? So then if it’s true why do many frum jews watch it?
What other things make you lose your place?

singleagain

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 1:31 am
What? How does that make any sense?

For that matter... How does anyone know how God calculates the world?

And what does olam Habah even mean?

I'm sorry, I get very skeptical when people claim to know why God does things a certain way.

PeanutMama

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 1:38 am
I guess olam habah is the World of Truth

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 1:41 am
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:
My husband said that he once heard a rav from Flatbush say that if someone watches movies or tv they lose their place in olam habah.

Oy vey. Then I’ve lost it before I was born💁🏻‍♀️

Oh well. Then again. None of us know.

Are you asking me my perception as to what that would be? I guess hurting others knowingly. Causing any sort of harm with knowledge that harm is being done to a person/place.

trixx

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 1:47 am
You need some real life guidance. Hint, if a rabbi tells you you're going to hell for anything, find a new one.

Success10

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 2:06 am
There are some things that make you lose your place in Olam Haba, all (most?) of which you can do Teshuva for. Either way, I am almost certain that watching movies is not one of them.

PeanutMama

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 2:13 am
Right but I don’t know why my husband is anti movies?? He says there’s a world to see and life is better than watching movies etc and I just watch to unwind and relax after a long day and especially during corona

essie14

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 2:51 am
Never heard such a thing.
But I do believe there is a special place in h*ll for child molesters and abusers.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 3:10 am
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:
All this rabbi is doing is scaring people into not doing something.
Anything and everything in this world can have good and bad qualities.
If any rabbi said this, I would run far from him. No mortal person can tell us what will make us receive olam haba or not.

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 4:21 am
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:

Why not ask your own Rav these questions?

kalsee

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 4:41 am
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:
Right but I don’t know why my husband is anti movies?? He says there’s a world to see and life is better than watching movies etc and I just watch to unwind and relax after a long day and especially during corona

These are both valid viewpoints.
It's a good debate to have.

But it has nothing to do with Olam Haba.

Success10

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 5:06 am
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:

Well, there's a big jump between movies being bad for your neshama and movies making you lose your place in Olam Haba.

The ultra-orthodox world, including chassidish, is generally anti non-Jewish movies. There's all sorts of ideals and images that we should not be seeing. That's a hard move to make if you've always watched movies and love getting lost in the drama and comedy. It's hard for me too.

You have to speak to a mentor and decide what area of Yiddishkeit requires your attention right now, what is most important for you to be working on. It might a long-term goal to stop with movies, but it could be there are other more pressing things you should be working on right now. And you will still have your Olam Haba in tact.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 7:37 am
Only G-d knows.

nchr

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 7:44 am
Scaring people in the name of Torah is definitely worse than watching movies

happyone

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 7:56 am
Coming here and sharing your husbands views with unknown' anonymous women who are from every walk of life, will be counter productive in finding peace within yourself and the lifestyle you chose.
Many here will not get the nuances of chassidish life and will only criticize. Please find a real life Rav or Mashpia to discuss these things while maintaining respect for your husband and his lifestyle. You need support and guidance with real answers to real questions by people that get your background and current community .

sequoia

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 8:23 am
I can't tell if you're being serious.

Anyway, you can hear all sorts of things from people. Ask for sources. Presumably you learned critical thinking skills in school. Like when you wrote research papers and you had to cite the sources? And the source had to be reliable? You couldn't really put "some dude in Flatbush" in the bibliography and expect to get an A.

watergirl

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 8:30 am
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:
I guess olam habah is the World of Truth

Olam haBah is the World to Come. It is where we ALL will go after 120 and after the maximum of 11 months in the purification realm we refer to as gehinnom. The ONLY exception is those who have received kares from Hashem and lucky for us, the He told us very clearly in the Torah who will receive kares. Kares literally means "to be cut off". There are only a handful of sins which are severe enough to get kares and even THEN, you can do teshuva. Hashem is our loving Father and wants to welcome everyone in to Olam HaBah. Watching movies is not a thing that will earn anyone kares, I promise.

What bothers me is this rabbi who is a false prophet. He claims to be able to speak for Hashem? That is sick. Using fear tactics, threats, hellfire and brimstone - that is not our religion. And he is adding to the Torah which is assur. Not allowed. Full stop. And even being a false prophet is not enough to lose his place in Olam HaBah! He can also do teshuva for using his pulpit and his place of respect and influence to abuse it and to scare people into submission.

Every person can do teshuva. That is the beauty of this religion, of our Torah, and of Hakodesh Baruch Hu.

I do not think anyone here should discuss your husband and his views about watching movies, etc. That is shalom bayis between the two of you.

Edited to add - I just reread your OP. Sounds like this is something you are thinking about now for some reason? Did your husband just bring it up again because you were watching a movie?
This rabbi sounds like a certain rabbi (whos name I am intentionally leaving out, please do not mention it, anyone who is tempted to) who gives these very firey speeches that are very popular among a certain crowd. If it is the one I am thinking of, he makes these wild claims and has actually been spoken against very harshly by some pretty major rabbis and even written about in a letter signed by over 100 orthodox rabbis.

Last edited by watergirl on Wed, Sep 02 2020, 9:34 am; edited 1 time in total

watergirl

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 8:45 am
Here is an excellent article on Aish.com about Olam Habah. https://www.aish.com/tp/i/gl/150340825.html

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 9:45 am
I really feel like a lot of your questions need to be asked in real life to a rav or some other mentor. I understand your new way of life may be difficult or confusing at times, but the most any of us can do is offer our 2 cents, for what they’re worth. There is a range on this website from LWMO to very shtark Chareidi. You really have to find someone from whatever community you are choosing to identify with and ask your questions. Make sure this is a person willing to answer any question you have, even if they are uncomfortable for them or even if to them, the answer is super obvious. You need someone you are comfortable with.

imasoftov

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 9:51 am
There's another current thread discussing (starting here whether R Kanievsky is being manipulated into giving these rulings (although at least we know who is claimed to have said this, not "a(n unnamed) rav from Flatbush"), but here's an article from 2013 in which he supposedly said that use of the Internet causes one to lose Olam Haba. It's in Hebrew, I'll translate. Remarks in parentheses are mine.

The Gaon Rav Kanievsky: "Whoever has a smartphone has no portion in the World to Come"

In the publication 'Halacha Lemaaseh" one of the correspondents reported that he asked R Kanievsky about having a smartphone. The rabbi answered that one who does that is included in the words of the Gemara (details in the body of the article) and has no Portion in the World to come.

From time to time new statements are published from the words of the Gedolim about the severity of the prohibition of using smartphones. As time passes it seems that their views on those who have these devices becomes more extreme.

The most recent incident was publicized by someone involved in the story, in the letters to the editors colum of "Halacha Lemaaseh" which is distributed in shuls.

According to what he wrote, he went to meet R Kanievsky and quoted to him the words of the Gemara in Berachot (61a) which rules that one who is accustomed to follow woman in a river has no portion in the World to Come and asked the rabbi if one who has an iPhone or internet is also subject to this.

The rabbi listened to the question, thought a bit, and answered definitively "of course". That is, one who owns such a device is among those who have no portion in the World to Come. According to the writer, a number of Torah scholars encouraged him to circulate the story to the public to encourage those who have such devices that were forbidden by the Gedolim to part with them.

(Rashi on that Gemara explains that this refers to a married woman who raises her garment above the water and he looks at her. Tosafot says that if he does this regularly he will come to commit adultery with her and that is why he will go to Gehinnom.)

(Also note that as I've said before a number of times, Rav Kanievsky may have said (although I didn't hear it from him ...), "if you didn't hear it from me personally don't believe it".)
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics