Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
How to get paint out of a cotton dress?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 8:02 am
I put stain remover and washed it twice on cold. Not coming out. Any ideas?

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 8:10 am
What sort of paint? Is it acrylic paint like when painting a canvas? How big are the stains and where on the dress are they?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 8:13 am
I don't know Can't Believe It it happened in camp. I was sure it was washable! It's a few spots in different places. A brand new dress!

Chayalle

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 8:13 am
What sort of stain remover? I've been successful with carbona stain removers for all sorts of stains. They have ones that specifically target removing paint. You put it on and then you use the edge of a spoon to sort of scrape it off.

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 9:21 am
When I am desperate and a stain is not coming out I use a ton of different stain removers and then let it sit.

Usually a combo of oxiclean spray, shout spray, oxi powder and regular detergent. I rub it all in the stain and let it sit overnight. Then wash like I normally do.
If that doesn't work I do it again but soak overnight in hottest water allowed for the item and then wash like normal.

I have repeated this many many times until finally it comes out!

Another thing that might work is rubbing alcohol! It takes out pen....

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 9:24 am
This may be a job for a dry cleaner. They have access to chemicals that you don't, and they are professionally trained in how to use them safely.

If they can't help you, and the stain is on the skirt, see if a seamstress can come up with some ideas to fix it.

Camps should know better than to use permanant paints! Mad

zaq

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 9:25 am
Find out what kind of paint. If it's a valuable dress, worst comes to worst you bring it to a professional dry cleaner and explain exactly what kind of stain it is. the pros have chemicals that are not available to a consumer. .

But first, if there is a visible layer of residue on the surface and it's not just a colored stain IN the fibers, try gently scratching the residue off with a fingernail or the edge of a plastic card. If that doesn't work, try to buff it off with an emery board.

just understand that paint is a very difficult stain and sometimes even the pros can't get it out.

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 9:37 am
FranticFrummie wrote:

Camps should know better than to use permanant paints! Mad

IME, "washable" sometimes means washable and sometimes not. For example, with washable markers, I find that Crayola tends to actually be washable, and anything else isn't reliably so if it's been more than an hour or two. Dd ruined two shirts in camp with paint that I actually saw, and the bottle said "washable."

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 9:45 am
Ugh. So frustrating. She grew so much and has a very limited wardrobe. Now a new dress is ruined.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 9:51 am
Chayalle wrote:
What sort of stain remover? I've been successful with carbona stain removers for all sorts of stains. They have ones that specifically target removing paint. You put it on and then you use the edge of a spoon to sort of scrape it off.

OP get the Carbona paint stain remover and keep working the stains until they come out.

zaq

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 1:13 pm
If you can't get the paint out, it's time for the old fake-out routine.

Either:
a. make the stain look like a deliberate embellishment by working it into a design or picture that you add with permanent marker or paint, ironing over it with a hot iron to set it; or

b. cover it up with an applique, trim or embroidery, and if need be, add a few more appliques, rows of trim or embroidered motifs to make it look as if it belongs. For example, using iron-on patch material in a contrasting or coordinating color, cut out a heart shape and iron on over the stain. Depending on where it is, you may want to cut out a few more hearts in graduated sizes and apply as a cluster, or cut out two or three identical shapes and place symmetrically along the garment.

chaya35

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 2:42 pm
rubbing alcohol

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 3:10 pm
chaya35 wrote:
rubbing alcohol

What do you do with it Just? Just rub it with a shmatta? Let it soak?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry