Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
DS Starting 8th Grade- Yeshiva info Please!!
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 9:43 am
From what I know, Long Beach is even more in-town than Philly and not likely what you're looking for. I'm the one who mentioned Scranton and Ohr Naftoli above.

Scranton is extremely warm, from the Rosh Yeshiva down to the bochurim. DH and DS mentioned repeatedly how blown away they were by the warm treatment they received when they went for an entrance exam, from the Rosh Yeshiva offering them coffee to the bochur who brought over a shtender and siddur for davening, etc. The physical accommodations are not the newest, but everyone there seems happy and friendly. It's also a nice OOT group of boys.

Ohr Naftoli is small and warm and tight-knit. The Rebbeim are very close to the boys, who are very cohesive and get along well. The learning is not as pressured and intense as the "top" yeshivos like Philly and Riverdale. The grounds are very nice, but the locations is fairly remote.

I second speaking to Rabbi Strauss in Lakewood - who recommended these for DH and was very on target.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 3:28 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
From what I know, Long Beach is even more in-town than Philly and not likely what you're looking for. I'm the one who mentioned Scranton and Ohr Naftoli above.

Ohr Naftoli is small and warm and tight-knit. The Rebbeim are very close to the boys, who are very cohesive and get along well. The learning is not as pressured and intense as the "top" yeshivos like Philly and Riverdale. The grounds are very nice, but the locations is fairly remote.

I second speaking to Rabbi Strauss in Lakewood - who recommended these for DH and was very on target.

Ohr Naftoli you mentioned is less pressured learning, would you say its on a high level though? Is it enough boys to have different level shiurim?

Rabbi Strauss in Lakewood: Can you make a phone meeting or it has to be in person?

Thanks for all the info!!

Last edited by amother on Wed, Sep 02 2020, 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

dazzle

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 3:52 pm
Eitz Chaim in Chicago is a newer Yeshiva (this is it's second year). It's still small as it only has a 9th and 10th grade. Being run by people who learnt in Philly so similar style but most boys are from oot.

ruchelbuckle

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 3:54 pm
I am pretty sure that Rabbi Strauss speaks with people on the phone. He did with my husband regarding our son.
Can you clarify what you mean by “high level learning?” I think a lot of places are learning on the fairly similar levels same level— the difference is how motivated the boys and the overall atmosphere. Of course there are different “drachim” in learning (Telshe , Ner Yisrael, chofetZ Chaim, etc....) but that’s not what you mean, right?

For example— my son is in a Mesivta that’s for boys who want a “smaller atmosphere and more personalized attention” (from a Hamodia article a few years ago). Okay- that’s a code word for boys who are less motivated, maybe less intense than others. But it’s not like if you dropped him into a shiur a Philly or Riverdale that was learning true same perek if bavah metziah he couldnt keep up (I think that’s what they are learning now).
Hope this makes sense!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 4:50 pm
ruchelbuckle wrote:
I am pretty sure that Rabbi Strauss speaks with people on the phone. He did with my husband regarding our son.
Can you clarify what you mean by “high level learning?” I think a lot of places are learning on the fairly similar levels same level— the difference is how motivated the boys and the overall atmosphere. Of course there are different “drachim” in learning (Telshe , Ner Yisrael, chofetZ Chaim, etc....) but that’s not what you mean, right?

I just mean because he is ka"h very smart, he will get bored easily if it moves slowly. He grasps the ideas the first time. I think he also appreciates depth more than other boys his age, was thinking deeply in learning at a young age etc. He's been incredibly bored in the higher level class, but he has been a good sport about it. I think this year he is learning the value of chazarah as he has a great attitude and just told me that now he knows the back and forth of the Gemara by heart....

gold21

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 5:27 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I just mean because he is ka"h very smart, he will get bored easily if it moves slowly. He grasps the ideas the first time. I think he also appreciates depth more than other boys his age, was thinking deeply in learning at a young age etc. We lived in EY and moved here in 6th grade so he is fluent in Hebrew. He's been incredibly bored in the higher level class, but he has been a good sport about it. I think this year he is learning the value of chazarah as he has a great attitude and just told me that now he knows the back and forth of the Gemara by heart....

Is it possible that your current yeshiva is geared towards a lower level of learning?

If the most important thing is the level of learning, I guess I would say Philly.

Mommyg8

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 7:33 pm
There are definitely different levels of learning in different yeshivos. I don't know how to explain it because I've never experienced it myself, but that's what I've been told only a million times...

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 9:49 pm
While on topic of boys hs, does anyone have ideas of ones with good secular departments, ex. college courses in 12th grade (as well as strong yeshivishe style learning) in the tri state area. Ones I'm aware of are yesodei yeshurun in queens, MTA in Manhattan. Are there any others? Also are there any that have a reputation for being particularly friendly and warm?

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 9:56 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:

Scranton is extremely warm, from the Rosh Yeshiva down to the bochurim. DH and DS mentioned repeatedly how blown away they were by the warm treatment they received when they went for an entrance exam, from the Rosh Yeshiva offering them coffee to the bochur who brought over a shtender and siddur for davening, etc. The physical accommodations are not the newest, but everyone there seems happy and friendly. It's also a nice OOT group of boys.

Can you please send me more info about ohr Naftoli please? Thanks!! (Also anyone else who knows anything about ohr Naftoli, you can also PM me)

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 11:07 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
While on topic of boys hs, does anyone have ideas of ones with good secular departments, ex. college courses in 12th grade (as well as strong yeshivishe style learning) in the tri state area. Ones I'm aware of are yesodei yeshurun in queens, MTA in Manhattan. Are there any others? Also are there any that have a reputation for being particularly friendly and warm?

Also look into Ohavei in Riverdale, Heichal in Teaneck, and Shaarei Torah in Monsey (not to be confused with Shaar HaTorah in Queens).

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 11:10 pm
Thanks!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 07 2020, 8:44 am
Update: We had an initial conversation with the principal...He wasn't worried that DS would have social issues in any of the mainstream places. So far we aren't narrowing down options as he wants to see how he does this year and speak to his Rebbe over the next month or so....

Thanks again for all of your suggestions!

Principal didn't seem to know much about dorm supervision (for some reason I think this is super important???) except to say that Telz Chicago is amazing in this regard.

Anyone have experience in this for Philly, Shlanger's, Scranton, Etz Chaim Chicago, Telz Chicago, Telz Cleveland?

I wonder if boys will be able to visit Yeshivos and Faher in person with Covid going on?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Sep 07 2020, 10:32 am
Etz Chaim is new. Up to 10th grade now.

I can put you in touch with parents of bochurim in any of these yeshivos if you need. I will ask them first, but let me know when you need a specific yeshiva parent to contact. Also I have a friend whose son tried out 4 of these last year and went to a 5th from the list in the end and she'd probably give a good breakdown of her son's thoughts.

As an FYI, I've heard Telshe Chicago is academically higher by a little than Cleveland if that matters.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 08 2020, 9:58 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Etz Chaim is new. Up to 10th grade now.

I can put you in touch with parents of bochurim in any of these yeshivos if you need. I will ask them first, but let me know when you need a specific yeshiva parent to contact. Also I have a friend whose son tried out 4 of these last year and went to a 5th from the list in the end and she'd probably give a good breakdown of her son's thoughts.

As an FYI, I've heard Telshe Chicago is academically higher by a little than Cleveland if that matters.

Thank you! I really appreciate the offer, I hope to take you up on it when we get a little closer. When you said your friend's son tried 4 of these- do you mean he went to visit?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Sep 08 2020, 5:37 pm
Yes, he farhered and visited them and formed impressions about them.

The only one he didn't was Scranton.

Goldie613

Post Fri, Sep 11 2020, 4:27 am
amother [ Denim ] wrote:

If you don't need a dorm, try Rambam and DRS in the Five Towns.

Goldie613

Post Fri, Sep 11 2020, 4:33 am
OP, I don't have specific names for you (sorry!) , but I did want to give you one more thought to consider...

Some kids are great at new places and starting out fresh on their own, while others really need the comfort of familiar people. Which type is your son? If he could be fine anywhere, then you have a lot of options. If you need him to be in a city where you have friends or relatives to be a support system for him, that may limit you quite a bit. Same thing if he'd do better with a buddy along. Have you tried asking his friends' parents what they are considering?

Hatzlacha!

amother
Crimson

Post Fri, Sep 11 2020, 9:49 am
Philly is not new yorky. They have very few boys from NY. More from Lakewood but really all types from all over. They are selective but not about where you're from and where your parents are from.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 11:00 am
Goldie613 wrote:
OP, I don't have specific names for you (sorry!) , but I did want to give you one more thought to consider...

Some kids are great at new places and starting out fresh on their own, while others really need the comfort of familiar people. Which type is your son? If he could be fine anywhere, then you have a lot of options. If you need him to be in a city where you have friends or relatives to be a support system for him, that may limit you quite a bit. Same thing if he'd do better with a buddy along. Have you tried asking his friends' parents what they are considering?

Hatzlacha!

That is a good point! I think he will love starting out fresh on his own, so I am less worried about the needing familiar people around- but of course that would be a really nice extra if it worked out.

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 12:06 am
OP, are you still around? What did you end up deciding for your son?
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics