Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Rocking Horse by Leah Gebber
1  2  3  4  5  Next

ruchelbuckle

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 11:53 am
I missed the first two chapters

1) Was she sent away to recuperate from a nervous breakdown or something?

2) Was she tricked into marrying Ernest thinking he was shomer shabbos?

ssspectacular

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 12:02 pm
She was sent away to recuperate from an emotional issue-not sure what it was.
I think she came from a poor family so married badly.

I am enjoying the series a lot.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 3:09 pm
ssspectacular wrote:
She was sent away to recuperate from an emotional issue-not sure what it was.
I think she came from a poor family so married badly.

I am enjoying the series a lot.

It was presumed to be a nervous breakdown but it seems that it was making sense of all the disconnects in her life.
There is a book called Awakenings about a woman in a similar situation, watching her children and grandchildren assimilate. But that's non-fiction, with no happy or happyish ending.
Leah Gebber is awesome.

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 4:01 pm
This serial does not get enough love. It's so exquisitely written. It gives me the shivers!!!

SuperWify

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 4:35 pm
I’m a big leah gebber fan but alas, I do not get the mishpacha every week so I’m not following the story. I can’t wait for the book to come out. Is the serials almost finished?

seeker

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 6:07 pm
Doesn't seem to be nearing closure yet.

Yes there is an implication of a nervous breakdown before the novel starts with very little detail given.

I don't think she was deceived in the marriage though she likely didn't realize just how far off he was. She had no prospects within her community and they just wanted to see that she was taken care of. It was such a different world!

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 6:10 pm
From what I recall, she was deceived. He made as is he was shomer shabbos when in reality, he was playing at concerts on Shabbos etc.

ruchelbuckle

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 6:13 pm
Okay: who thinks Felix and Chasia are going to end up together?

Just One

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 6:36 pm
They're been heading towards marriage since chapter three or so Very Happy

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 6:38 pm
ruchelbuckle wrote:

Nooooooooo

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 7:04 pm
ruchelbuckle wrote:

I do. Don't know why but I find the thought a little nauseating. It's at the same time so predictable (in a piece of fiction) and so completely unrealistic (if any of these characters would be real). The author writes very well but the story is full of anachronisms. There are things that make me cringe to the point that I'll skip it for a week and then I find myself reading it again. Not an anachronism but how unrealistic is this?- -looks like they just found Perla, the missing sister, dressed in a nun's habit and speaking Yiddish. The author did enough research not to have anyone get on a plane or make a long distance call, but there's something so 2020 about the characters. Anyway, let me not be critical. I don't write that well, and looks like the serial has lots of fans. Let's all enjoy the wedding when it finally appears in print... or at least sit it out without spoiling it for the people who were dying to attend and dance.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 8:38 pm
seeker wrote:
Doesn't seem to be nearing closure yet.

Yes there is an implication of a nervous breakdown before the novel starts with very little detail given.

I don't think she was deceived in the marriage though she likely didn't realize just how far off he was. She had no prospects within her community and they just wanted to see that she was taken care of. It was such a different world!

But there is genuine tenderness between them.

Miri1

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 9:19 pm
This novel is an exquisite study of the incongruity of the two worlds that are somehow synthesizing in one woman - how she is supportive and loving of her family while struggling with all the negation to her values and upbringing.
Each character here is so well worked- the father's attempts to accept offspring that are far from his sphere, the way Hanna dances around her husband, who obviously appreciates her, and is quite generous toward her parents yet is representative of the dreaded assimilation. Then there is the incongruity of Sara - her involvement with the tzibbur, her friendship and connection with Hannah through shared values...and then her quiet rebellion in her own kitchen.
It is a fascinating and also troubling exploration of complicated times, Jewish identity, marriage and the human experience of paradox.
Hanna is on a journey trying to manage the disconnected pieces in her life, and her tendency to push her own discomfort under the rug.
Her marriage didn't seem so much a trick as a desperate attempt to assure she would be well taken care of... and a little misunderstanding as to the degree of her husband's assimilation (or possibly a blind eye was turned?).

seeker

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 10:14 pm
... also the sister trying to start a school in Turkey? Totally different side plot, are we going to arrive at some common theme or is it just another angle of the period piece?

seeker

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 10:17 pm
ruchelbuckle wrote:

Please no. There is just no reason for that. I mean he's obviously interested in her and he's a good person and she's a woman alone in a man's world but just no please. Other than being decent people they have nothing in common. 2020 me doesn't like that. I also don't like that kind of convenient shortcut in books.

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 10:20 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
I do. Don't know why but I find the thought a little nauseating. It's at the same time so predictable (in a piece of fiction) and so completely unrealistic (if any of these characters would be real). The author writes very well but the story is full of anachronisms. There are things that make me cringe to the point that I'll skip it for a week and then I find myself reading it again. Not an anachronism but how unrealistic is this?- -looks like they just found Perla, the missing sister, dressed in a nun's habit and speaking Yiddish. The author did enough research not to have anyone get on a plane or make a long distance call, but there's something so 2020 about the characters. Anyway, let me not be critical. I don't write that well, and looks like the serial has lots of fans. Let's all enjoy the wedding when it finally appears in print... or at least sit it out without spoiling it for the people who were dying to attend and dance.
the nun is perla??

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 10:29 pm
seeker wrote:
Please no. There is just no reason for that. I mean he's obviously interested in her and he's a good person and she's a woman alone in a man's world but just no please. Other than being decent people they have nothing in common. 2020 me doesn't like that. I also don't like that kind of convenient shortcut in books.
She’s gonna teach him to experience transcendence and they’re gonna be Hannas nachas

Miri1

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 11:59 pm
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
the nun is perla??

I think she is one of the shteitl girls that Becka met on the boat.

Just One

Post Thu, Sep 03 2020, 12:00 am
She’s gonna teach him to experience transcendence and they’re gonna be Hannas nachas

My thoughts exactly

amother
Black

Post Thu, Sep 03 2020, 12:08 am
the nun is perla??

The nun is raizel that she met on the boat.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room