Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Indian matchmaker show on Netflix

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 4:41 am
Anyone watch yet? I'm enjoying it! It's kind of interesting to see what similarities there are to the shidduch system. Of course they make it a little dramatic and probably picked certain personalities to make it more entertaining as reality tv, so I don't know how realistic it is, but it's fun tv.

naomi2

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 8:48 am
Just started watching it and Im really enjoying but I wish they chose more likeable candidates

imaamy

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 9:06 am
I binged and hope there will be a second season. I love the expressions Sima makes when there is an over-the-top person. Really good show!

sigree

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 11:21 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Anyone watch yet? I'm enjoying it! It's kind of interesting to see what similarities there are to the shidduch system. Of course they make it a little dramatic and probably picked certain personalities to make it more entertaining as reality tv, so I don't know how realistic it is, but it's fun tv.

I binged it in three days. It was so good, although they kind of left out what happened to some of the characters. It really was so interesting!

amother
Babyblue

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 2:51 pm
According to google every character is still single.
Wouldnt it be awesome if all shadchanim were like sima? I feel like there would be no shidduch crisis if we had more shadchanim like her

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 3:27 pm
I really enjoyed the show. It felt like it ended abruptly , unless I missed part of it.
I found it so fascinating at how similar it is to our world.
And Sima is a cute shadchinta. She really has a passion for what she does and takes everyone into consideration.

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Aug 04 2020, 8:20 pm
naomi2 wrote:
Just started watching it and Im really enjoying but I wish they chose more likeable candidates

Who wasn't likable? I think I liked almost all of them! The wedding planner is adorable. The lawyer seemed so shallow and standoffish, but as the season progressed I started to understand her motivations (abandonment issues, so of course she is scared to let anyone close to her). The high school college counselor is a total Labrador retriever puppy in human form. I found the online clothing business woman super relatable. I would be fuming too if a matchmaker set me up with a divorcee without telling me first. OK, the shy Mama's boy was not likable, but he was really entertaining! The jewelry guy was kind of blah. He wanted a gorgeous girl. Yawn.

Who did I miss?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 04 2020, 8:43 pm
I'd love to see the Jewish version but I can't see anyone putting themselves on TV like that--they'd be too concerned about siblings' shidduch prospects!

samantha87

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 3:18 pm
Good to know I'm not the only one watching!

Aparna sounds like she'd be a great friend if I were still single, but totally not ready to be in a relationship with another human being. Nadia is cool and I feel so bad for her after the guy who self-sabotages by standing her up twice. (That's how far I am so far.)

ChanieMommy

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 3:36 pm
I would match the half Westindies guy with the serious and far-travelling lawyer girl from Texas... Because he is very serious, and she isn't looking for sense of humor...

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 3:36 pm
I need more closure.
Nadia is awesome, what happened to her.
Will the jewelry guy come out of the closet? I think he is so picky because he is not so into women (other than their clothes and jewelry)
Aparna is understandably single.
The teacher is, as stated above, a Labrador retriever but an absolute catch for the right woman.
And the rich boy, you are not marrying him, you are marrying the mom and there is not enough money in the world to make me want that.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 3:39 pm
I loved the show, and found it super relatable. It was fun to see all the similarities with our shidduch system.

I wish more shadchanim were like "Aunties".

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 4:20 pm
I thought the show was entertaining although a bit dramatized ( for entertainment value obviously). If you enjoyed the show, you might also want to check out the documentary A Suitable Girl on Amazon. It's a more realistic look at indian matchmaking and follows three families going through the process. Sima is also actually in this documentary, although on the opposite side as she tries to marry of her own daughter.

tichellady

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 5:12 pm
Enjoyed! Although found it bizarre that caste was not mentioned at all.

challahchallah

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 6:04 pm
I enjoyed it too! For those who said they wanted more follow-up on the characters, there’s a bonus episode on YouTube with updates.

https://youtu.be/FB_nr_x5Xbc

ChanieMommy

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 6:42 pm
Actually I did not really like the matchmaker... she didn't look trustworthy to me...
On the other hand, this series made me appreciate how hard her job is, how much work she has to invest, with so little percentage of success... It has to be nerve-racking.
Also it made me realise that the shadchanim are generally not the ones who invent crazy expectations, it's the parents or would-be-shidduchim themselves...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics