Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
My baby bites

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 03 2020, 1:03 pm
I have a 1.5 year old son who has been biting since he got his first tooth, but it has gotten worse the past few weeks. He started daycare for the first time on Sunday, and was at home with me until then so he didn't learn it from any other kids. Also he's had the same 6 teeth for a few months now, so it doesn't seem to be because of teething.

He davka doesn't do it when he's angry, so he's not doing it to be mean. He just does it kinda randomly. I've tried screaming "oww!", telling him sternly "no", and just pushing him away, but all of those things just make him laugh ๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ˜ฉ

Other than that he's a super sweet little boy who loves to cuddle, and brings his siblings and friends objects that he thinks they'll want and goes to comfort them when they cry, so it's really out of character for him.

Do I just need to wait this one out, or is there anything else (gentle) that I could try? Usually he bites my arms, so I thought maybe of putting something bad tasting on my arms, but what?

ChanieMommy

Post Thu, Sep 03 2020, 1:55 pm
Wow, that's a toughie...
Perhaps I'm a bit old school, but I don't think you should wait it out. You should physically stop him from doing it and say sternly "No".

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 03 2020, 4:31 pm
ChanieMommy wrote:
Wow, that's a toughie...
Perhaps I'm a bit old school, but I don't think you should wait it out. You should physically stop him from doing it and say sternly "No".

I've tried that; I'll say "no" and gently push him away and he'll laugh and keep coming back for more like he thinks it's a game. I just don't think he understands "no" yet because he's usually a really obedient boy -- if I ask him to bring me something he's really happy to do it.

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Sep 03 2020, 6:18 pm
My 1 year old also bites but I donโ€™t think he understands. I just pull him away, sometimes I will say no. I think he just does it because he is teething and not to hurt.

nchr

Post Thu, Sep 03 2020, 6:36 pm
can you offer him a toy to bite if you see him coming toward you
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics