Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Toilet Training

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 31 2020, 6:23 pm
End of day1 and I am exhausted!!! Run to the bathroom the whole day, had 3 accidents. Please tell me I will get there at some point!!!
How long does it take?
Gr8 tips are always welcome! (Boy)

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Aug 31 2020, 7:33 pm
I waited till my girl was good and ready (3+) and it was quick and easy. Not one accident, day or night. We went straight from diapers in a Sunday to panties on a Monday. If you’re working that hard be/she may not be ready

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Aug 31 2020, 7:52 pm
I'm in the process. Ds is 3 and change. I gave him water and brought him to the potty every 30 min. He had 5 accidents. The next day, he began telling me when he needed to go and had only one accident. Now he doesn't like to tell me but if I put him on once every hour, he goes. It's been three days.

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Aug 31 2020, 7:55 pm
One tip that worked well for me was to make him/her sit on the toilet for at least 5 min each time. Set a timer. Read him/her books. Set up a video. Whatever works!

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, Aug 31 2020, 8:09 pm
Tip #1 that works for me is don't use the toilet as a hangout place. Put him on, wait two minutes (with a timer) and take him off. Do that every thirty minutes the first two days and then every hour and then after that they should be telling you when they need to go. if they don't they might not be ready mentally.

Tip #2 is reward for being dry. something small like a chocolate chip or a blueberry or praise.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 01 2020, 8:47 am
Holding my breath! I have a problem that I give up too quickly!
Also whenever he makes an accident he comes running that he needs the bathroom!
Will c what today brings!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 03 2020, 1:19 pm
I feel so helpless!! If I remind him and take him to the bathroom he is doing wonderful, but if he actually needs the bathroom he will only tell me after his underpants are wet!!
I need tips and tricks!!

raich

Post Thu, Sep 03 2020, 5:20 pm
I'm a major fan of waiting til the kid is fully ready and not bother til then. I have tried both (deliberate training, and waiting) and the former was just frustrating for me and the kid, and the latter was so much easier, more respectful to the kid (no accidents, no bad feelings that he couldn't "manage" something I expected him to, etc), and just felt so intuitive and smart.

The times I tried to "train" it was just a wholly frustrating experience. Was so not worth all that the next few times around.

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Sep 03 2020, 5:39 pm
raich wrote:
I'm a major fan of waiting til the kid is fully ready and not bother til then. I have tried both (deliberate training, and waiting) and the former was just frustrating for me and the kid, and the latter was so much easier, more respectful to the kid (no accidents, no bad feelings that he couldn't "manage" something I expected him to, etc), and just felt so intuitive and smart.

The times I tried to "train" it was just a wholly frustrating experience. Was so not worth all that the next few times around.

This exactly. Sorry OP but your kid doesn’t sound ready at all!

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Sep 03 2020, 6:00 pm
With my oldest I waited until he was over 3 and it went super quick. However my next son is going to be starting gan when he is 2+9 months so he’s going to have to be toilet trained then.
Not always is it possible to wait until “they are ready”.
Already dreading the toilet training next year Smile

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 03 2020, 6:09 pm
Thank you amother Pruce!!
I love that all the advice that I am getting is: he is not ready. He Is starting gan after succos. (My daughter trained herself which is Y am having such a hard time now)
B’h I get by with only 1 accident a day since he really makes nicely on the toilet (both) but that is cuz I look out for signs and ask him every few hrs.
My main issue is, how do I get to the point where I have to stop asking him every hr and he knows to ask on his own?

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Sep 03 2020, 7:41 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you amother Pruce!!
I love that all the advice that I am getting is: he is not ready. He Is starting gan after succos. (My daughter trained herself which is Y am having such a hard time now)
B’h I get by with only 1 accident a day since he really makes nicely on the toilet (both) but that is cuz I look out for signs and ask him every few hrs.
My main issue is, how do I get to the point where I have to stop asking him every hr and he knows to ask on his own?

I would say keep doing what you’re doing and hopefully he’ll start recognizing himself when he needs to go?!

Please keep us updated really want to know how it goes.
Good luck!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics