Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Frizz - how to get rid of it 13 yr old DD
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 04 2020, 12:53 pm
any ideas how to take care of her frizzy hair?

amother
Apricot

Post Fri, Sep 04 2020, 1:06 pm
She can get a straightening, it takes out the frizz too.
I had great experience with the Moroccan Inoar treatment.
Only do it by a professional who has done this treatment in the past successfully.

Last edited by amother on Sun, Sep 06 2020, 9:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

paperflowers

Post Fri, Sep 04 2020, 1:07 pm
Curly, wavy, or straight?

amother
Hotpink

Post Fri, Sep 04 2020, 1:10 pm
DD is 3, not 13, but what works for her frizzy curly hair is spraying it each morning with water/conditioner combo. It keeps the curls looking like curls and not like fluff.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Fri, Sep 04 2020, 1:42 pm
My 12 year old daughter started using a little gel. After she sets her brush to make a smooth pony, she puts a little get on the sides and top of her hair to hold the hairs in the pony before it frizzes. I also bought a hair iron and her hair looks so nice when we use it. I try to use the hair iron for special occasions since it can damage the hair.

Batsheva1

Post Fri, Sep 04 2020, 3:28 pm
I have hair like that and have had it all my life. It took until about age 15 till I learned how to manage it. Once I learned, I discovered it's the best hair - better than having straight hair and requires less maintenance.
The first step is to find a good hairdresser that understands curly hair and how to cut it. Curly hair is a completely different animal. Most hairdressers don't know what to do with curly hair and that is why they recommend straightening which is very bad for the hair long term. A person with curly hair should embrace their curls. Curly hair is awesome.
Once you get a good haircut with layers, lose the hairbrush. Hairbrushes and curly hair don't go together. All a hairbrush does is brush out the curls and makes the hair frizzy. A pick or a wide-tooth comb is all you need. I am 50 and haven't owned a hairbrush since I was 15.
I wash and condition my hair. Then I put in "product." That is a necessity and is what will prevent frizziness. There are many good products. What I've been using the past few years is Cantu shea butter leave-in conditioning repair cream. You comb thru your wet hair with your wide tooth comb or pick. Then scrunch your hair with your fingers and air dry. To blow dry, you must use a diffuser and scrunch with your hands. (no brush or comb necessary.)
That's really it. In the morning you can spray with a water bottle and scrunch with your hands. I turn my head down and scrunch and then scrunch with my head up. Your hair will fall into place. It's low maintenance but must start with the right cut.
Unfortunately for me, I can't just get a haircut anywhere. Once I found the hairdresser I stick with her. Anytime I thought I would save money and went to a random place, they botched my hair.
This is one topic I feel very qualified to speak about because my hair is something I've had my whole life and same as your daughter I had to learn and figure out how to manage it. Stay curly! Good luck!

amother
Forestgreen

Post Fri, Sep 04 2020, 3:54 pm
Batsheva1 wrote:
I have hair like that and have had it all my life. It took until about age 15 till I learned how to manage it. Once I learned, I discovered it's the best hair - better than having straight hair and requires less maintenance.
The first step is to find a good hairdresser that understands curly hair and how to cut it. Curly hair is a completely different animal. Most hairdressers don't know what to do with curly hair and that is why they recommend straightening which is very bad for the hair long term. A person with curly hair should embrace their curls. Curly hair is awesome.
Once you get a good haircut with layers, lose the hairbrush. Hairbrushes and curly hair don't go together. All a hairbrush does is brush out the curls and makes the hair frizzy. A pick or a wide-tooth comb is all you need. I am 50 and haven't owned a hairbrush since I was 15.
I wash and condition my hair. Then I put in "product." That is a necessity and is what will prevent frizziness. There are many good products. What I've been using the past few years is Cantu shea butter leave-in conditioning repair cream. You comb thru your wet hair with your wide tooth comb or pick. Then scrunch your hair with your fingers and air dry. To blow dry, you must use a diffuser and scrunch with your hands. (no brush or comb necessary.)
That's really it. In the morning you can spray with a water bottle and scrunch with your hands. I turn my head down and scrunch and then scrunch with my head up. Your hair will fall into place. It's low maintenance but must start with the right cut.
Unfortunately for me, I can't just get a haircut anywhere. Once I found the hairdresser I stick with her. Anytime I thought I would save money and went to a random place, they botched my hair.
This is one topic I feel very qualified to speak about because my hair is something I've had my whole life and same as your daughter I had to learn and figure out how to manage it. Stay curly! Good luck!

It sounded like the problem was more the frizz, not curls. People have frizzy hair without curls.

Batsheva1

Post Fri, Sep 04 2020, 6:53 pm
To respond to the above comment, curly hair not cared for correctly becomes frizzy. Frizzy hair with the right cut and "product" will be tamed and become curly. I know this because I had said "frizzy" hair until I learned what to do with it.

LovesHashem

Post Sat, Sep 05 2020, 3:46 pm
Look up the curly girl method. It works really well for straight frizzy hair as well as curly. I know this from personal experience.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sat, Sep 05 2020, 6:36 pm
Another curly/frizzy lady here with kids who have my hair.

I agree with Batsheva1 and just wanted to add my method.

If you feel you must brush her hair, only brush in the shower when her hair is wet.
NEVER brush dry curls or they become frizz.

(Gosh I don't know why no one taught my mother this and my lower elementary school pictures are all mortifying! Eventually my big sister took over doing my hair and she knew how to handle the curls!)

Use lots of conditioner to prevent knots.

After washing hair, use a product and scrunch, scrunch, scrunch the curls.
I like spray gel best - Garnier Fructis is good and John Frieda Frizz Ease has some good stronger products for worse frizzies.

Spray with plain water in the mornings or whenever the frizz starts up. After spraying, either scrunch or have her shake her head back and forth and all around. This rejuvenates the curls. There is no need to put in more product because that usually makes the hair look hard.

Remember, curls are gorgeous!!

mary6

Post Sat, Sep 05 2020, 8:38 pm
This is what I do for my daughters curly hair but I haven’t figured out how to have in nice when it’s tied up for school. Any ideas?

Elemenopee

Post Sat, Sep 05 2020, 9:56 pm
To manage frizz, use a good conditioner and don't wash it off. Avoid using towels as much as possible, just pat dry and allow to air dry.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Sep 05 2020, 11:28 pm
op - My daughter's hair is basically straight,wavy a bit at the bottom but the front area by her forehead -that entire area is frizz city. its gotten worse over past yr or two, I bought some frizz shampoos (walmart/Amazon) no success.

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 3:33 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
op - My daughter's hair is basically straight,wavy a bit at the bottom but the front area by her forehead -that entire area is frizz city. its gotten worse over past yr or two, I bought some frizz shampoos (walmart/amazon) no success.

Try the curly girl method. I know people with hair like that and the frizz just disappeared. It takes 2-3 weeks for the hair to adjust.

Mainatream. Shampoos carry ingredients that CAUSE frizz. Because they don't actually care about your hairs health.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 6:06 pm
I looked up the curly girl method - its saying she should just use conditioner when she showers, and leave some in. and only once a wk use shampoo (conditioner b4 and after)
I just want to make sure before I start this - her hair is basically straight, wavy a bit at the bottom. Do you think this will work on her hair? also what brands do you reccommend for the conditioner and the once wkly shampoo?

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 6:32 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I looked up the curly girl method - its saying she should just use conditioner when she showers, and leave some in. and only once a wk use shampoo (conditioner b4 and after)
I just want to make sure before I start this - her hair is basically straight, wavy a bit at the bottom. Do you think this will work on her hair? also what brands do you reccommend for the conditioner and the once wkly shampoo?

Curly Girl method is a lot more than that. It's using products that are paraben, sulfate, and silicone free.

Try that brand Shea Moustuire. They're sold in every drugstore and Walmart and target and aren't too expensive. All their products are curly girl friendly

I also suggest googling ACV rinse and plopping

She should do a ACV rinse before starting to clear out her hair. Don't use any products that have the three things I mentioned before. There's a lot more research you can do on it. Sorry I don't have time to elaborate more.

Id you have questions you can pm me or ask here

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 9:27 pm
thanks you gave me enough to start with. Let u know if I have more questions!

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 9:40 pm
OP I had hair that was straight on top and curly on the bottom but very smooth...oh and a halo of frizz. I got a tube of hair cream meant for frizzy hair and smoothed it onto the troublesome areas after brushing it into a pony after a shower. It dried nice and straight and smooth

snowflake1

Post Fri, Oct 08 2021, 10:37 am
Can I revive this thread?
I have been doing the curly girl method we tried the brand Contu shea mentioned above, but it had a very strong smell is there anything that is not too expensive that doesn’t have such a strong smell? Also, we need to brush it into a pony in the morning and so the front gets very frizzy is there anything that I could put on to smooth it out
The bottom of her hair stays in really pretty curls from the leave in conditioner from Johnson’s which is curly girl friendly.
But the pan teen that we use I don’t believe is
We are shampooing once a week and using conditioner the rest of the time

LovesHashem

Post Fri, Oct 08 2021, 10:42 am
snowflake1 wrote:
Can I revive this thread?
I have been doing the curly girl method we tried the brand Contu shea mentioned above, but it had a very strong smell is there anything that is not too expensive that doesn’t have such a strong smell? Also, we need to brush it into a pony in the morning and so the front gets very frizzy is there anything that I could put on to smooth it out
The bottom of her hair stays in really pretty curls from the leave in conditioner from Johnson’s which is curly girl friendly.
But the pan teen that we use I don’t believe is
We are shampooing once a week and using conditioner the rest of the time

I’m in Israel making shabbos now. So I can comment after shabbos. But I have lots of suggestions for you.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics