Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Rebbetzin Chana Schwartzberg

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 04 2020, 12:33 am
Sorry - I forgot what the serial is called.
But can anyone explain what the implied connection is between her son's misbehavior and his friend switching yeshivas?
Aren't we talking about HS kids? Not preschoolers? I am just confused. He pulled the fire alarm and started a business cuz he misses his best friend?
What am I missing?
I love the author's work, just this is making me feel stupid like I am missing something big.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 04 2020, 9:06 am
bump

lilies

Post Fri, Sep 04 2020, 9:22 am
Drugs?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 04 2020, 9:27 am
lilies wrote:
Drugs?

I thought the packages could be drugs but what does that have to do with his friend

lilies

Post Fri, Sep 04 2020, 9:38 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I thought the packages could be drugs but what does that have to do with his friend

Supplier of drugs

Miri1

Post Fri, Sep 04 2020, 9:44 am
I don't think it's drugs.
I think he was honest about it being things the kids couldn't get while in the dorm.
And they were Amazon items being sent to the wrong address.

I also didn't understand the big deal of the other kid leaving... except that perhaps this kid had been a stable anchor for him. If he was kind of adrift without him it could have led to him being more distracted.

I don't get the whole fire alarm piece though. If he had a thriving business why would he draw attention to himself? Originally it sounded like he was acting out... now it sounds like he's quite enterprising, and perhaps in a place that's a little to intense for his personality.

seeker

Post Fri, Sep 04 2020, 3:14 pm
I think it was vague on purpose to be clarified in the future, but my guess due to the awkwardness of the conversation is that the other kid left because of Chana's kid. Maybe she thought Chana's kid was being a bad influence on him, or maybe he got into actual trouble because of him... but Chana is still in wishful thinking about her son and this gives her something to grab onto that maybe he's struggling because his friend left.

The boxes at the neighbor were because until he was discovered he was trying to hide this business from his parents, so he used a different address and kept telling the neighbor it was a mistake and his old technologically impaired inefficient mother kept forgetting to fix it. There's no implication that drugs are involved, and he already admitted to running a "black market" of sorts for items that are legal but not usually easily accessible to dorming yeshiva boys.

iyar

Post Fri, Sep 04 2020, 4:19 pm
Oy vey.
I already "eviscerated" (to quote a favorite imamother) one serial this week.
I'm not touching this one.
Wishing everyone a restful Shabbos with plenty of time to read all your favorite serials, and a very warm Gut Shabbos to Rebbetzin Schwartzberg!

seeker

Post Fri, Sep 04 2020, 4:51 pm
I think this one is less subject to evisceration (lol) because it's more lighthearted. I mean sure there are themes running around but it's obviously supposed to be more entertaining than realistic. Er, I think. Historical fiction I think is more demanding, whereas contemporary you can have some fun. Remember Fischel Kirschenbaum? Such real themes woven into such a bizarre story.

LovesHashem

Post Sat, Sep 05 2020, 3:54 pm
The friend left to go to a yeshiva that was less than. Implying that this friend was struggling and was bringing Chaim down with him possibly.

amother
Mint

Post Sat, Sep 05 2020, 10:40 pm
Based on the latest installment, It seemed to me that the rav yeshiva figured some connection there as well (which is why he side stepped it) so I’m also thinking there’s a story there that will be unpacked later.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room