Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Siman against Corona and for good health? Suggestions please
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Do you think it would be a good idea to add a new siman to express our wish to stay healthy and safe from Covid-19?
yes  
 42%  [ 37 ]
No  
 57%  [ 51 ]
Total Votes : 88

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 8:44 am
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
Arent simanim passed down for many generations? I don’t think your supposed just make up a new siman because you feel like it.
I never grew up with doing simanim. We did apple. No generations worth of anything.
A few years after we got married we decided to do some.
Definitely not everyone had a minhag from generations.
Many simsnim over the years have been made up. They are great.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 8:46 am
Because some have just the apple (possibly alsothe fish head)

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 10:05 am
I don't think making up simanim is the problem. But wouldn't the point be to AVOID these foods, like egoz and sour food? I don't want to follow this thread and find that I'm even more limited.

ExtraCredit

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 10:07 am
PinkFridge wrote:
I don't think making up simanim is the problem. But wouldn't the point be to AVOID these foods, like egoz? I don't want to follow this thread and find that I'm even more limited.

Thought the same. We should find something that sounds like NO MORE corona.
Or vaccine.
Or herd immunity.
Or antibodies.

youngishbear

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 10:13 am
As corona and crown have the same root meaning, it will be hard to avoid positive references to that on Rosh Hashana. I vote we look for wordplay referring to avoiding illness, viruses, machla, mageifa, etc., or promoting health.

ExtraCredit

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 10:14 am
youngishbear wrote:
As corona and crown have the same root meaning, it will be hard to avoid positive references to that on Rosh Hashana. I vote we look for wordplay referring to avoiding illness, viruses, machla, mageifa, etc., or promoting health.

That’s why we dip the corona into honey. Our King should sweeten this corona business already. Either by making it disappear or turn it into a mild cold.

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 11:14 am
I have had this sign up on my door since March. Maybe it will give someone some ideas Smile

miami85

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 1:15 pm
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
Arent simanim passed down for many generations? I don’t think your supposed just make up a new siman because you feel like it.

It's perfectly fine. The one for carrots is "merin" which is from yiddish--I don't think that's one our avos did.

When we were faced with a very uncertain future we used a fig for "we'll fig-ure it out"

ChanieMommy

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 1:21 pm
miami85 wrote:
It's perfectly fine. The one for carrots is "merin" which is from yiddish--I don't think that's one our avos did.

When we were faced with a very uncertain future we used a fig for "we'll fig-ure it out"

Also the rimon evolved from being used for a shehecheyanu on the second day to being a siman in itself (m'leim mitzvoth ke rimon), and now we have to find a new shehecheyanu fruit...

Success10

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 1:27 pm
ExtraCredit wrote:
Thought the same. We should find something that sounds like NO MORE corona.

Which brings us back to Macaroni: "Mah? Corona?" Nah! That's so 5780!

ExtraCredit

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 1:37 pm
Success10 wrote:
Which brings us back to Macaroni: "Mah? Corona?" Nah! That's so 5780!

I think this wins!
Any good macaroni recipes?

ChanieMommy

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 1:39 pm
ExtraCredit wrote:
I think this wins!
Any good macaroni recipes?

I vote for throwing out one can of Corona beer...

ExtraCredit

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 1:41 pm
ChanieMommy wrote:
I vote for throwing out one can of Corona beer...

We should dispose of all of it. Then disinfect the cabinet.

zaq

Post Mon, Sep 07 2020, 2:04 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
I never grew up with doing simanim. We did apple. No generations worth of anything.
A few years after we got married we decided to do some.
Definitely not everyone had a minhag from generations.
Many simsnim over the years have been made up. They are great.

Me, too. A siman that's a play on words in Ivrit, ok, I can handle it. it may even have a smidge of holiness. or not. otoh a siman that's a play on words in Yiddish or German is clever but has zero holiness afaic. It's a clever shtick, not torat Moshe miSinai.

that being said, we like to make up "simanim" for fun and see if people can figure them out. We are careful to announce that we made up these "simanim" purely for entertainment, same as I'm scrupulous about stating that I'm spring cleaning, not pesach cleaning, when polishing silver or dusting bookshelves. unlike simanim, Bal tosif is a bona-fide mitzvah d'oraita.

keym

Post Mon, Sep 07 2020, 2:20 pm
zaq wrote:
Me, too. A siman that's a play on words in Ivrit, ok, I can handle it. it may even have a smidge of holiness. or not. otoh a siman that's a play on words in Yiddish or German is clever but has zero holiness afaic. It's a clever shtick, not torat Moshe miSinai.

that being said, we like to make up "simanim" for fun and see if people can figure them out. We are careful to announce that we made up these "simanim" purely for entertainment, same as I'm scrupulous about stating that I'm spring cleaning, not pesach cleaning, when polishing silver or dusting bookshelves. unlike simanim, Bal tosif is a bona-fide mitzvah d'oraita.

But many of the "traditional simanim" and by traditional, I mean the ones in the machzor are a play on the words in Aramaic. Silka, Karti.
And Aramaic was the spoken language of the time 2000 years ago, similar to Yiddish or English.

ChanieMommy

Post Mon, Sep 07 2020, 2:23 pm
zaq wrote:

Actually I once received a list off simanim frosm the local jewish school and started doing those.

Originally, I only had apple, honey, fishhead, carrots and a pomegranate on the second night for shehecheyanu...

On the list, there were a lot of sefardi/israeli simanim, although it came from an ashkenasy school: pumpkin, dates, leak, little beans, swiss chard, pomegranate as a siman, etc.so we started doing those... and I also like the funny, original ones like coca cola, we do those as a play on words...

So I don't be any means think it's a sacrilege to invent new simanim or to do simanim in good humor...

zaq

Post Mon, Sep 07 2020, 2:37 pm
miami85 wrote:

Cute!

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Sep 07 2020, 3:46 pm
zaq wrote:

Lettuce, half a raisin, celery. (Not original.)

zaq

Post Mon, Sep 07 2020, 4:03 pm
How about a Heath bar and you add an "L" between the A and the T? (Just remember Heath is milchik.)

chanchy123

Post Mon, Sep 07 2020, 4:19 pm
I also grew up in a home where we had an apple and honey on the first night and added the rimon on the second night. DHs family does all the simanim from the Gemara. We are pretty Litvak but on RH we have a bunch of simanim some traditional and some new ones, but in addition we try to find simanim in everything we eat and say a yehi ratzon (without Shem Hashem of course). We do have foods we have started eating traditionally on RH but try to add new twists and innovative ideas. We often host soldiers (who are on guard here) on RH and have them join us finding new ideas - they usually love the game.
A corona siman would be a great hit in our family, but I haven’t found a winner here yet.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur