Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Is Azamra a name?
Previous  1  2

Miri1

Post Sun, Mar 24 2013, 11:42 pm
I would hazard a guess that Zimrat might be a shortened version of Zimratya. Both nice sounding. I like Azamra too.

BatZion

Post Mon, Mar 25 2013, 6:16 am
It is for sure a name and Rebbe Nachman has a teaching called Azamra which- after a quick internet search- apparently speaks of "the way to happiness through finding the good points in ourselves and in others"- I know a Breslever lady named Azamra- I think it's a beautiful name- with or without Taharah- although, I do think that Azamra is a whopper of a name in itself without the addition...but to each their own Smile

mommyhood

Post Mon, Mar 25 2013, 11:39 am
Azamra sounds pretty but Taharah reminds me of the chevra kedisha and of taharas hamishpacha.

RachelB

Post Tue, Mar 26 2013, 7:10 pm
Azamra sounds lovely. Tahara -no so much.
Tohar is popular in Israel now. Pronounced TO-har (with soft h)

ah1017

Post Fri, Mar 29 2013, 10:03 am
Thanks guys.. we were definitely more thinking about Azamra and less than Tahara.. I've met a few girls named Tahara and thought it was a beautiful name so I'm not sure of why all the backlash against it...

I have to say that I personally really really really despise classic Jewish names (I'm a BT so this is probably to be expected) so I'll still have to find a middle ground with the second name. My husband's family has tons of Tova, Devora, Talya, Leah, ... none of which I would ever really use for a middle name anyways (not to offend those who do, just not my thing). Like I said.. I'm a BT, so a lot of these names are a little difficult for me.
Thanks for the opinions though!

finallyamommy

Post Fri, Mar 29 2013, 10:17 am
Like previous posters have said, I think Ashira is a good alternative to Azamra (which I've never heard).

Or what about Zmira? I've met one, she's Israeli, and I think it works for your "song" theme.

Isramom8

Post Fri, Mar 29 2013, 10:37 am
Zamira sounds similar but I think it's a hummingbird. My friend's daughter has this as her middle name.

emet18

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 1:47 pm
Hi - I know this is an old thread but I came across this group when searching about the name Azamra (plus my friend suggested the group), so I had to join and comment! We just named our daughter Azamra - We shared many of the same considerations in this thread. We haven't found anyone else with her name but I see someone commented that they have a breslover friend named Azamra which makes sense because of Rebbe Nachman's teachings. I wonder if the OP ended up using the name?!

amother
White

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 2:13 pm
I love Azamra. I wouldn't do Tahara though. I like the suggestion of Tova as a middle name, but just Azamra is cool too.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 2:38 pm
Azamra sounds to me like a Japanese anime character.

banana123

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 2:50 pm
Azamra sounds a bit funny, but I know of a few Ashiras.

banana123

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 2:52 pm
ah1017 wrote:
Thanks guys.. we were definitely more thinking about Azamra and less than Tahara.. I've met a few girls named Tahara and thought it was a beautiful name so I'm not sure of why all the backlash against it...

I have to say that I personally really really really despise classic Jewish names (I'm a BT so this is probably to be expected) so I'll still have to find a middle ground with the second name. My husband's family has tons of Tova, Devora, Talya, Leah, ... none of which I would ever really use for a middle name anyways (not to offend those who do, just not my thing). Like I said.. I'm a BT, so a lot of these names are a little difficult for me.
Thanks for the opinions though!

Never heard of Tahara but Tohar isn't unheard of.

Bar also means pure but it's more masculine.

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 3:02 pm
I love both names!!!! But I wouldn’t name them.

But Tahara makes me think of T”H though which could be embarrassing to a kid. To me it sounds like the the parents are announcing that they conceived in purity. Which is beautiful- but private.

Not saying anyone shouldn’t do it- just saying what it makes me think of.

But I absolutely love Azamra!!!!

ChanieMommy

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 3:03 pm
One of the Ambash wives is called Azamra... I will sing... I think she is persian...

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 3:11 pm
I'm loving the Azamra. I grew up with a Z'mira (in the US) -awesome girl!

Taharah is also making me think of dead people.

I would recommend going for a middle name which is not three syllables and preferably doesn't end in a a/ah, but if you like a T, I think Tikva would work. (I know it has an A) or Tzion.

Azamra Tikva
Azamra Tzion. (I'm assuming you are DL/Torani based on your name choice and the impression I am getting here.)

banana123

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 3:21 pm
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
I'm loving the Azamra. I grew up with a Z'mira (in the US) -awesome girl!

Taharah is also making me think of dead people.

I would recommend going for a middle name which is not three syllables and preferably doesn't end in a a/ah, but if you like a T, I think Tikva would work. (I know it has an A) or Tzion.

Azamra Tikva
Azamra Tzion. (I'm assuming you are DL/Torani based on your name choice and the impression I am getting here.)

Tzion is a boys' name. The equivalent is Tziona.

Tehila
Tikva
Techiya
Tahel
Tohar
Tirtza

Azamra Tehila would actually go really beautifully.

BH Yom Yom

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 7:35 pm
banana123 wrote:

Azamra Tehila would actually go really beautifully.

Was thinking the same thing!

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 10:18 am
I know this thread is ancient but I'll put in my two cents:

I've heard of it once as a middle name. I think it would go fine as long as you are in the type of community where modern and rare names are acceptable. It sounds good and has a nice meaning, so even though it's rare it's not weird. A Chavatzelet would definitely be made fun of more than an Azamra.

banana123

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 10:25 am
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
I know this thread is ancient but I'll put in my two cents:

I've heard of it once as a middle name. I think it would go fine as long as you are in the type of community where modern and rare names are acceptable. It sounds good and has a nice meaning, so even though it's rare it's not weird. A Chavatzelet would definitely be made fun of more than an Azamra.

I've actually heard of a few Chavatzelets.

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 10:30 am
Sounds like a name Shlomo carlebach would have used
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names