Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days
Hakaras Hatov kiddush

DVOM

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 9:53 am
Good morning all!

We are hoping to host an outdoor kiddush for our neighborhood this week. There's a double purpose for the kiddush: my husband finished mishnah brurah (woohoo! Go hubby!), so we'll make a siyum, but it's also an expression of hakaras hatov to our wonderful neighbors who really took care of our family after I donated my liver to a family member last January. My recovery was long and difficult, and our neighbors and friends were so giving and kind. I didn't cook a meal for months. We were showered with gifts for my husband and me, toys for our kids, offers of child care, visits, phone calls....you name it. We'd planned on making a neighborhood kiddush pesach time, than shavuos time, but you guy all know how that turned out.

I'd love to get some help and advice. First, how would you word this invitation? We'll be holding the kiddush outdoors, in our yard and driveway. Second, any menu suggestions? I'll be cooking and baking it all myself. Third, I know there's an awesome tablecloth and servingware gamach here in Lakewood. Anyone know the number and open hours?

Thanks for the help! It's so nice to tap into the creativity and help of this lovely community!

real israeli

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 10:02 am
Rosenbaum Tablecloth Gemach
+1 (732) 363-5587

DVOM

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 12:59 pm
Thanks!

twizzlers1

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 1:54 pm
Wow what a beautiful reason to have a Kiddush. That is so special that you are able to donate your liver. May you Celebrate many more simchas in good health!

DVOM

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 1:57 pm
twizzlers1 wrote:
Wow what a beautiful reason to have a Kiddush. That is so special that you are able to donate your liver. May you Celebrate many more simchas in good health!

Amen! Thank you!

DVOM

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 2:04 pm
Anyone know the gamach address?

DVOM

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 2:11 pm
Anyone know the gamach address?

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 2:13 pm
Sorry, no, but there is a lovely simcha gemach down Rt 9 across the street from Amazing Savings. Maybe that's it.

DVOM

Post Tue, Sep 08 2020, 8:14 pm
Hi all!

I'm reviving this thread.

Thanks for the gamach info. I went today and got the most beautiful floral tablecloths, vases, serving dishes... one job done!

I'd love some menu help.

I'm sure neighbors and friends will send food platters, but I cant really count on it. I think I'm going to stick to cold foods only to make things easier. I'm not a fancy baker, and I don't need a fancy spread, but I would like the food to be fun and interesting. Here's what I've made. I'd love ideas of what else to put out.

Sweet:

I'm making a sandwich cookie section. I made choc chip cookies with chocolate fudge filling, peanut butter cookies with peanut butter fluff filling. I'd love one more idea for a cookies-and-filling combo.

I made cinnamon buns, mini amaretto cupcakes, mini chocolate cupcakes, apricot jam bars. Do I need to bake more cakes? Any suggestions?

I'd like to serve a few salads. I'll make corn salad, linguine and snap peas salad. Any other ideas? I would do some sort of leafy green salad, but I'm nervous about greens wilting in the outdoor heat. Maybe a crudites platter with some dips would hold up better?

I'm also making peckalach for the kids.

I'm so excited! I love throwing a party, and this is a very special one Smile

Thanks for your help guys!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days