Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Need help with SNAP

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 04 2020, 4:23 pm
Hi!

I recently qualified for SNAP because I lost a job during the pandemic. I've never had it and I have no idea how it works.

I know all the little corner stores take the card, but I usually order groceries from Peapod. Do they take SNAP?

How do I find out what foods qualify, are they labeled? I'm not embarrassed to have it, but I'm embarrassed to use it the wrong way and look stupid while shopping!

mommy100

Post Fri, Sep 04 2020, 4:48 pm
Don’t know about pea pod but all food items are allowed on Snap besides takeout food. You need to set your card up with a PIN numberafter your purchase is rung up the store should give you the amount you can charge to Snap card. you need to swipe your card then and enter your pin.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 2:33 pm
Bump

yidisheh mama

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 2:43 pm
I don't know about peapod, but Amazon accepts it for items sole by Amazon. Otherwise, you probably will need to swipe it in person at your local supermarket.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 2:46 pm
What if I buy more than I have on the SNAP card, do I pay the rest in cash? Or if I want to also buy things like lightbulbs or TP, do I have them ring up separately?

It's the logistics that are worrying me.

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 2:49 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What if I buy more than I have on the SNAP card, do I pay the rest in cash? Or if I want to also buy things like lightbulbs or TP, do I have them ring up separately?

It's the logistics that are worrying me.

The store rings everything up. You swipe the snap card and it will pay for what it can. Then the balance will show what’s left (toilet paper, what’s over the available snap amount) and you’ll pay for that with cash or credit card. Kind of like if you have a bill of $200 and use a gift card for $30. The balance will show you still owe $170 and you pay the rest another way.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen