Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Urgent Help needed with my rib steak

Ruchi

Post Fri, Sep 04 2020, 2:54 am
Can anyone help me please?

I cooked rib steak (deboned slices) for 2 1/2 hours (as instructed in recipe of The Balabustas Choice Volume 2) and it was very chewy and did not seem ready.
So I put it into the oven (in a pan, covered tightly) for 45 minutes on 350c but there was not much Improvement so I popped it back again in the oven for a further 30 minutes.
However, it is still very chewy and you have to chew for an awfully long time before you can actually swallow it down.
I wanted this to be fork tender - melt in the mouth.
I am so upset about this as I paid around $7 a slice and this was supposed to be for Tom Tov. 😂

Can anyone help me out with suggestions / tips?
Can I still salvage it?

fig

Post Fri, Sep 04 2020, 3:02 am
I kept having same issues. Till I realized it was the imported meat. I can never get it to taste good. I buy less often but I buy the American - it’s double the price.

Ruchi

Post Fri, Sep 04 2020, 3:57 am
etalebo wrote:
I kept having same issues. Till I realized it was the imported meat. I can never get it to taste good. I buy less often but I buy the American - it’s double the price.

Can I take this up with my butcher and request a refund?

rgr

Post Fri, Sep 04 2020, 8:16 am
Does the recipe have liquid? Keep it low and slow for a very long time

egam

Post Fri, Sep 04 2020, 8:30 am
Rib steak is not a cut of meat you cook in the oven for hours. The longer you cook, the tougher it will be. It needs high heat and short time. Unless you are making whole rib roast. Sorry.

meme6

Post Fri, Sep 04 2020, 8:46 am
The trick to cooking meat is slow and long! I do it for like5-6 hours at 250 and it’s delicious. I buy the imported and have zero issue

Put yours back in the oven at 250 for 3 hours

IMHopinion

Post Fri, Sep 04 2020, 9:11 am
I wouldn’t touch a $7 a slice of Rib steak .
It’s obviously imported meat.

A slice of thin cut rib should be about $15-20

And no you can’t take it up with the butcher because they probably bring it in for people who request cheap.

You need to look closely at what you’re buying.

It’s ok, we all make meat mistakes... and learn from them Smile

Chana Miriam S

Post Fri, Sep 04 2020, 9:21 am
X

Last edited by Chana Miriam S on Fri, Sep 04 2020, 9:23 am; edited 1 time in total

Chana Miriam S

Post Fri, Sep 04 2020, 9:23 am
andrea levy wrote:
Tragic. I cook mine in my sous vide 134 f for a day and then finish on grill.
I think you might as well make soup.

egam

Post Fri, Sep 04 2020, 9:25 am
andrea levy wrote:
I think you might as well make soup.

That might be a good suggestion.

sky

Post Fri, Sep 04 2020, 9:25 am
I sear on the grill
The place in a hot oven covered. And turn off the oven
We don’t like it red and I find this way it gets dark inside without drying out.

I make the cheap imported steaks like this all the time. It works especially well for Yom Tov and it’s always delicious. Would never pay $15 for a steak again.

egam

Post Fri, Sep 04 2020, 9:32 am
meme6 wrote:
The trick to cooking meat is slow and long! I do it for like5-6 hours at 250 and it’s delicious. I buy the imported and have zero issue

What kind of meat? Every cut is different. Brisket is good low and slow, rib - not so much. Even on 250 degrees in the oven in needs less than an hour and I’m talking about nice marbled thick ones. Cheap, imported ones will become rubber in no time.

meme6

Post Fri, Sep 04 2020, 9:34 am
egam wrote:
What kind of meat? Every cut is different. Brisket is good low and slow, rib - not so much. Even on 250 degrees in the oven in needs less than an hour and I’m talking about nice marbled thick ones. Cheap, imported ones will become rubber in no time.

I do most meats slow also rib! A roast around 8 hours and slices an average of 5 hours it’s butter soft I do check it after 4 hours.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Sep 04 2020, 10:10 am
meme6 wrote:

If you do this, do it on YT otherwise it's going to cook all over again when you reheat it.
Such a shame to use rib steak for a braised recipe.

meme6

Post Fri, Sep 04 2020, 10:12 am
ra_mom wrote:
If you do this, do it on YT otherwise it's going to cook all over again when you reheat it.
Such a shame to use rib steak for a braised recipe.

I always make my meats before Yom Tov I then put it in my warmer drawer frozen solid and it’s never dry and piping hot for the meal!

lilies

Post Fri, Sep 04 2020, 10:12 am
sky wrote:
I sear on the grill
We don’t like it red and I find this way it gets dark inside without drying out.

I make the cheap imported steaks like this all the time. It works especially well for Yom Tov and it’s always delicious. Would never pay $15 for a steak again.

How long does it need to be in the oven?

sky

Post Fri, Sep 04 2020, 10:23 am
lilies wrote:
How long does it need to be in the oven?

THe recipe is from the Roosevelt pesach cookbook.

Originally recipe:
Sprinkle steak with pepper
Sear 4 min per side
Cover in pan. Bake 350 for 30 min. (I would prob do 10-20 to be safe depending on size and thickness). Turn off oven leave in up to 1 hr.

What I actually do in the oven is on Yom Tov my oven is around 220f so I stick in the oven at 350 10 min before candle lighting. Then lower oven to 220f for Yom Tov and leave in until the seuda covered tightly in a sheet pan.

I remember once reading in the whisk Victoria dweck had a similar method but I don’t remember the details.

This is a similar idea:
https://betweencarpools.com/ho.....ther/

Last edited by sky on Fri, Sep 04 2020, 11:01 am; edited 1 time in total

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Sep 04 2020, 10:48 am
Ruchi wrote:
Can anyone help me please?

I cooked rib steak (deboned slices) for 2 1/2 hours (as instructed in recipe of The Balabustas Choice Volume 2) and it was very chewy and did not seem ready.
So I put it into the oven (in a pan, covered tightly) for 45 minutes on 350c but there was not much Improvement so I popped it back again in the oven for a further 30 minutes.
However, it is still very chewy and you have to chew for an awfully long time before you can actually swallow it down.
I wanted this to be fork tender - melt in the mouth.
I am so upset about this as I paid around $7 a slice and this was supposed to be for Tom Tov. 😂

Can anyone help me out with suggestions / tips?
Can I still salvage it?

If you're talking about cooking a rib steak: https://www.foodnetwork.com/re.....31274 Minutes, not hours. And it should be served right after cooking. (We do this occasionally as a Shabbat treat. Its stressful, since I need to time it to finish right before lighting, and I worry that it will need more time. And if you leave it too long, its trash. But we're talking $30+ per pound, not $7.)

Rib roast is about 15 minutes or so a pound. Eg, https://www.simplyrecipes.com/....._rib/

This sounds wildly overcooked, not undercooked. If you want to try to rescue it, cut it into pieces and incorporate it into a stew or dish with a lot of liquid.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Sep 04 2020, 11:01 am
sky wrote:
I sear on the grill

V Dweck says sear just outside so steak is rare, cover and place in a hot oven that was just turned off before the zman so it's closed, and keep in the oven until mealtime. But it won't work if the men come home from shul really late and it sits for long.

Ruchi

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 5:22 pm
Thank you so much for all your helpful responses.

As an aside, I spoke to my butcher and he said that just as no two people are alike, the same goes for the cows and when you buy any type of meat, you have no way of knowing how it will turn out even though you stick to the same tried and tested method, length of cooking etc.
He said many times he comes home for dinner and the steak is hard and then other times it is butter soft.......
Mmmm, is this telling me that the meats being sold are low grade quality????
Looking back I realise that the rib steak didn't have any marbling. It just had a thin strip of fat around the outer border.
The butcher said you have to make a special request if you want rib steak with marbling as otherwise you will be given whatever they pick up first and many come without marbling.
I am left feeling very confused.....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics