Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Segula against intermarriage
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 6:01 pm
iyar wrote:
Segulas don't "work". A segula isn't like something out of Harry Potter. It's not a magical incantation that will instantly turn your enemy into a frog or give you the power to fly.
There have been rabbis who have mentioned things that can be done as a form of hishtadlus when a person needs something. If what you're doing as a segulah is a positive thing to begin with, like saying Tehillim or hafrashas challah, then doing that while davening for a good outcome can't hurt.
It's always a good idea to find out the source of a segulah. If you heard it directly from Rebbetzin Heller-Gottlieb, or a different person you trust and look up to, then there's something behind it. Even if you don't necessarily know what that is you might want to try it, while remembering Who is The Only One that can bring about the results you're asking for.

I think people do segulahs to "increase their odds". A single person or a couple struggling with infertility might do a segulah that involves saying specific tehilim because they are told (with no guarantee) that it increases their chances of the desired result.

My question is do you believe that for example if we take 1000 single 20 year olds. 500 of them will do segulahs and 500 will not. All 1000 will make the same hishtadlus to find a shidduch. When we look back 10 years later and see how the group is doing, will the 500 that did segulas be married more than the other 500?

iyar

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 7:31 pm
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
I think people do segulahs to "increase their odds". A single person or a couple struggling with infertility might do a segulah that involves saying specific tehilim because they are told (with no guarantee) that it increases their chances of the desired result.

My question is do you believe that for example if we take 1000 single 20 year olds. 500 of them will do segulahs and 500 will not. All 1000 will make the same hishtadlus to find a shidduch. When we look back 10 years later and see how the group is doing, will the 500 that did segulas be married more than the other 500?

I believe, or more accurately I try to believe, in the 13 principles that the Rambam lists that are the basics of our Emunah. You can find them listed in your siddur, explained by aish, or by talmidei chachamim who do a much netter job than I can.
As for your specific question- no, I don't believe that nor would I have any idea what results you'd get. That's neither the point nor the result of segulahs. If you want to know my what I believe I can tell you about myself personally. If you want to know more about segulahs, you need to ask someone more learned.

Reality

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 7:49 pm
Frumme wrote:
?

Jews can go to frum Jewish schools and STILL not get the "education" they need. They can still go OTD or intermarry, chas v'shalom. It is more than just education... It's a mindset. I know a brilliant scholar who became a Rabbi at a young age. He eventually went OTD because, well... Never at one point did anyone ever instill in him that Hashem loves him. Not his cheder, not his top yeshivas. BH he eventually married a Jewish girl, but it was a real concern that maybe he might not even do that.

I have close family members who went to frum schools and still intermarried. In the case of one, she kept getting set up with really terrible guys who were "frum" yet would try to touch her inappropriately or spoke to her like she was a dog. She ended up marrying a non Jew who wrote her poetry, bought her flowers, and in general treated her like a princess. That plus the fire and brimstone version of Judaism she was taught of meant it was just an OTD/intermarriage just waiting to happen.

My point is, it can happen to anyone (cv"s). It's not as easy as saying that all you need to do is send your child to a frum school and you won't have to worry about such things....

There is always an exception to every rule. But for most families Jewish education insures their kids marry Jews.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Sep 07 2020, 7:35 am
My DD was also "ruined" by Jewish schools, and was bullied horribly by several of the "frummest" kids, who's parents were bid financial donors to the schools and local synagogues. The parents often had dinners thrown for them. It was completely disillusioning, to say the least.

I found that the best thing is to have a copy of Rebbetzin Jungreis's booklet "Why Marry Jewish?" in your home.

It's a quick read, and she makes excellent, logical points - as well as pointing out the Torah and spiritual side.

Remember, "A bird and a fish can fall in love, but where will they build their home?"

Daven, daven, and then daven harder. Strengthen your emunah and ask Hashem to help you get through this. Daven for the right words to say, for the wisdom to know when to keep quiet, and for clarity in general. Hug Hug Hug

Modmomma

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 10:59 am
I have the original source of the segulah.. I am finding a hard time uploading it . I know this is an old forum but would like to know about the brick gemach if possible

BH Yom Yom

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 11:36 am
Modmomma wrote:
I have the original source of the segulah.. I am finding a hard time uploading it . I know this is an old forum but would like to know about the brick gemach if possible

Maybe try to upload as an image? Would be curious to see it!

zaq

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 12:09 pm
Reality wrote:
There is always an exception to every rule. But for most families Jewish education insures their kids marry Jews.

No. It does not "ensure" anything. What it does is improve the odds.

bestrong1

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 1:07 pm
Pls pls pls can someone post the segula. Pls I beg you. Thank you

octopus

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 1:13 pm
amother Tangerine wrote:
[u]

Tell me a single segulah in history that can be proven? Literally a single one? When the rebbetzin said *most* segulahs are made up, I'd have asked her which ones aren't? I mean don't get me wrong, most segulas are nice things. Baking challah, visiting a kever, saying certain tehilim, but which segulas can be proven to work? As far as I can tell, none. If I'm wrong, please tell me which segulas work?

Teshuva, tefillah, and tzedakah are mesugal to rip up bad decrees.

Modmomma

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 4:26 pm
I will do my best to upload the photo bli neder, by tomorrow. Hopefully on my tablet it would upload.. on my phone it did not.. I pray, give tzedka and say Tehillim . I was told this segula is also helpful to help open one’s heart to teshuva. I am doing it under two desperate circumstances. I have a sister in law that is practicing Buddhism for approx 30 yrs and she visits often and I with the help of Hashem of course , has been able to get through her pain that’s stems from childhood. This pain caused a a great sense of loss and need to fill it will hope through some spiritual means. She wanted Judaism but unfortunately the Jewish education she received for a short amount of time made her feel suffocate and saw everything as assur and not with love. She was married to a [gentile] and bh our tefillot were heard and she is divorced ( no segula done there just pure tefillot, so u may ask why now segula if I can pray) I just have a strong feeling about this unique segulah .. now I still pray for her to marry a Jew but I understand she is completely clothed in clipot of all the Tumah. But I have complete hope and emuna she will do tremendous teshuva. I feel this segula in some unique way will help get through the clipot. I don’t like to do every segula out there but I received this from someone I feel connected to and have seen greatness done for me through her blei glissen (removing a ayin Hara) she is not the originally source but you will all see soon and can use this to ask your local rabbi.

Modmomma

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 4:34 pm
I am not expecting a Ba’al teshuva overnight, I look at segulahs like this I mean segulahs that are given down by tzadikkim. It’s like praying to hashem, I can pray anywhere and talk to hashem anytime I want. Sometimes due to lack of kavanna, distractions, maybe an avera etc. my tefillot might take a longer route until it gets excepted .. with certain segulahs it can elevate them and make it first class to hashem and this can help the Yeshuah to come closer .
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics