Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Elevating food for Shabbat or Yom Tov
Previous  1  2

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 10:43 am
Is meat loaf considered elevated if I serve it with mushrooms on the sides of the platter (sliced meatloaf in the middle) and mushroom roux sauce, a strip of sauce on top, and extra sauce on the side
I have baked and thinly sliced meat loaf in my freezer, that I made this past week

Can I leave a roux sauce on the blech, or will it break

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 10:50 am
Sure. Serve 3 thin slices fanned out, kind of like dominoes, and a drizzle with sauce on top. Side dishes nearby on the plate.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 3:31 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Sure. Serve 3 thin slices fanned out, kind of like dominoes, and a drizzle with sauce on top. Side dishes nearby on the plate.

I wasn’t planning on plating individual portions
I like serving big platters and let everyone serve themselves buffet style

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 3:37 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I wasn’t planning on plating individual portions
I like serving big platters and let everyone serve themselves buffet style

I'm sure it will look beautiful and elevated fanned out on a platter with a drizzle of sauce - and extra sauce in a bowl on the side.

Reality

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 3:38 pm
I make stuffed meatloaf only for shabbos/ yom tov. I sautee veggies and roll up the meat. It looks very pretty when sliced.

The recipe is from Spice and Spirit.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 3:47 pm
Bracha, birkat hamazon
I suspect some do traditional food bec ause they see it as elevated?

Raisin

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 3:54 pm
The difference between shabbos/yt and weekday is that during the week there is one course, no dessert. for shabbos and yom tov we have challah, dips or salads and fish, or soup, and then a main course.

I can't serve roast 4 meals in a row...much nicer to switch between roast and meatballs and chicken and so on. I never serve baked chicken pieces during the week unless its leftovers, that is exclusively a shabbos or yom tov food.

I think meatballs are fine for a yom tov meal, served with rice.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 5:33 pm
Raisin wrote:
The difference between shabbos/yt and weekday is that during the week there is one course, no dessert. for shabbos and yom tov we have challah, dips or salads and fish, or soup, and then a main course.

I can't serve roast 4 meals in a row...much nicer to switch between roast and meatballs and chicken and so on. I never serve baked chicken pieces during the week unless its leftovers, that is exclusively a shabbos or yom tov food.

I think meatballs are fine for a yom tov meal, served with rice.

I’m thinking of doing spatchcock chicken for the chicken and rice “casserole”. A one pan dish where you place all the ingredients in a pan (water , rice, seasoning, etc) and lay pre-seasoned chicken on top. Cover tightly and bake.
Will a spatchcock chicken look more elegant.
Will it work? Can’t see why not?
I usually do chicken pieces

How many ppl will a spatchcock chicken serve if I have other foods (more gourmet) like thinly sliced tongue -OR- onion stuffed with meat and rice cooked in a sweet sauce aka onion mekshi

Also
I still need a mushroom sauce I can leave on the blech until Shabbat day.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 07 2020, 10:47 am
I still need a mushroom sauce recipe that can stay in the blech/hit until shabbatlunch

Raisin

Post Mon, Sep 07 2020, 10:54 am
Never served spatchcock chicken but that sounds lovely. Honestly I think almost any meat or chicken or fish is suitable for shabbos or yom tov. Maybe not hot dogs on their own. (I would serve as a kids option in addition to chicken)

I don't leave anything on blech except soup or cholent so can't help you there.

As for amounts, I find people don't eat a lot of main course if you are serving challah and a starter. Maybe 1/8th of a piece of chicken each goes.

So if a spatchcock chicken is regular chicken size definitely it can feed 8 if you are serving another meat.

Can I have your stuffed onion recipe? Sounds lovely.

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Sep 07 2020, 11:02 am
Any food plated nicely can be shabbos food. If I am short on time, I normally grill steaks, make French fries and a side and that's the Friday night meal. My mother always does meatballs as a Yom tov meal since the kids eat it really nicely and we like to do some fun meals.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 07 2020, 12:49 pm
Raisin wrote:
Never served spatchcock chicken but that sounds lovely. Honestly I think almost any meat or chicken or fish is suitable for shabbos or yom tov. Maybe not hot dogs on their own. (I would serve as a kids option in addition to chicken)

I don't leave anything on blech except soup or cholent so can't help you there.

As for amounts, I find people don't eat a lot of main course if you are serving challah and a starter. Maybe 1/8th of a piece of chicken each goes.

So if a spatchcock chicken is regular chicken size definitely it can feed 8 if you are serving another meat.

Can I have your stuffed onion recipe? Sounds lovely.

Onion Mekshi

I don’t have amounts just by sight and taste

Boil large onions. Cool. Seperate leaves
Stuff with ground meat and rice like you do stuffed cabbage I season with salt, all spice, cinnamon, but season how you like

I tightly pack into a square pyrex

At this point you can freeze raw

Sauce - is OOT which is a tamarind sauce, but it’s hard to get
So- I mix prune jelly, lemon juice, sugar and lemon.

If you don’t like these flavors then make the same sauce as stuffed cabbage

Bake at 350. For A LONG TIME. Until it gets very very dark.
I’ve also left on the blech all night.
Heat it up in the oven first and then place on the blech
If I put it on the blech I add extra water and lemon.

Here is another version
http://notderbypie.com/persian.....enus/
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen