Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
What's bothering my son at 5am every night?

yiddishmom

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 12:35 pm
I need help figuring out what's bothering my 12 month old.

He usually sleeps from 6:30/7 pm to 6:30/7 am for the night.

Recently he started waking up between 4-5 am. The first few nights I thought he was waking up from hunger because he didn't eat much throughout the day. So I nursed him a bit and put him back to sleep.

The last three days tho he has eaten much better, plus I made sure to nurse him in his sleep before I went to sleep, so I believe he is not hungry anymore.

I tried reassuring him and going in every 5 - 10 min (basically the Ferber method), which is what I did with him when I first sleep trained him. After 15 - 20 minutes of crying he would fall asleep. But then he wakes up every 5 - 10 minutes, cries for a few (approximately 15) seconds and goes back to sleep. This goes one for over an hour. By 6:15 I take him out to nurse him.

Friday and shabbos morning, he nursed and then ran off to play. As if he didn't just miss an hour + of sleep. This morning he went back to sleep until 8.

Do you think he is hungry and that's why he keeps waking up from 5 am? He nurses morning, evening and once during the day. Plus he eats solids (but some days he doesn't eat well).

Do you think it's time for me to skip his second nap? He naps at 11 for 1 - 1.5 hours and then at 3 for 45 - 60 minutes. I can't imagine tho that he is ready to drop it. Because by 3 he is so cranky already. And at 6:30, even tho it's only 2 hours since his second nap, he is super tired and cranky again.

I wish I knew what's bothering him and how to help him! There is no fever, nor any evident sign of teething now. I really don't know.

Any insight would greatly be appreciated!

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 12:40 pm
It is normal for a one year old to still wake at night. It doesn’t mean anything is bothering him. If you want him to go back to sleep, feed him right away. Don't let him cry.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 12:42 pm
Sounds like he is hungry... feed him more solids during the day and nurse him at 5.
5 is technically the morning, I wouldn’t let him cry at all. He is probably hungry/ thirsty
Enjoy your baby

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 12:45 pm
He either needs more solids before bed or he needs to start going in a little later if you want him to sleep later.
He’s probably good and ready for his nap if he’s waking up so early!
My babies changed their schedules on their own. There was very little I had to do other than take the que from them.

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 1:11 pm
we had that around her first birthday. SHe was getting too much sleep during the day and not tired, so I dropped a nap and she started sleeping later again.

yiddishmom

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 1:16 pm
Thanks for the replies.

I keep a water bottle in his bed, in case he is thirsty.

In the past when I tried putting him to bed later, he would still wake up at 6:30. We'll try again tho.

If nothing helps, then I'll nurse him. I just don't want it to become a habit and then he'll go back to waking every 3 hours for a feed. But he is probably past that, right?

I'll try giving him more solids, but he often refuses. Even when I try feeding him while he is playing outside....

Ok, I just needed to know that I'm normal and my son is ok, and this isn't anything out of the ordinary.

Thank you!!!

ChanieMommy

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 1:19 pm
Do you have pets?
Maybe the cat it jumping around and waking him up?

Or some kind of noise? Neighbours getting up at 5 am?

yiddishmom

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 3:49 pm
No pets, and no noise from the neighbors BH!

Thank you to whoever took the time to read my long post!

bnm

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 4:48 pm
Light in the room? For us it was the neighbor's alarm clock.

amother
Black

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 4:49 pm
Teething?

banana123

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 4:51 pm
When is alot hashachar/ netz where you live? Or maybe it's the muezzin?

Success10

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 4:54 pm
Didn't read the whole post, but he might just not need the same amount of sleep anymore. You can drop a nap at this age.

dankbar

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 7:51 pm
What is his total food intake in 24 hrs including nursing?

stillnewlywed

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 7:55 pm
Kids need minimum 4 hours before bed at this age in order to have enough sleep pressure to sleep all the way until the morning.
If his last nap is ending at 3:45/4 then bedtime should not be until 8.
Also 12 hours is a long night, so even with an 8 pm bedtime he probably won’t sleep later than 7 am.
If you don’t want a late bedtime and don’t want to switch to one nap, then you have to cut his first nap short so that you can put him down earlier for his 2nd nap.
Try Wake 7
Nap 10 - 11:30
Nap 2:30 - 3:30
Bedtime 7:30

yiddishmom

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 8:23 pm
stillnewlywed wrote:
Kids need minimum 4 hours before bed at this age in order to have enough sleep pressure to sleep all the way until the morning.
If his last nap is ending at 3:45/4 then bedtime should not be until 8.
Also 12 hours is a long night, so even with an 8 pm bedtime he probably won’t sleep later than 7 am.
If you don’t want a late bedtime and don’t want to switch to one nap, then you have to cut his first nap short so that you can put him down earlier for his 2nd nap.
Try Wake 7
Nap 10 - 11:30
Nap 2:30 - 3:30
Bedtime 7:30

I think this is the answer. But my babysitter insists that she puts all the children for a nap at 11. Which means he has 5 awake hours in the morning.

I can be firm with her and tell her that he needs to nap from 10 - 11/11:30, and then put him for a second nap at 2, right?

stillnewlywed

Post Mon, Sep 07 2020, 1:19 pm
yiddishmom wrote:
I think this is the answer. But my babysitter insists that she puts all the children for a nap at 11. Which means he has 5 awake hours in the morning.

I can be firm with her and tell her that he needs to nap from 10 - 11/11:30, and then put him for a second nap at 2, right?

Yes, if you can get her to change his nap time then a nap from 10 - 11:30 would be great and then a second nap from 2:30 - 3:15. You want at least 3 hours between wake up and nap 1, and then another 3 hours between nap 1 and nap 2. If he wakes up from his 2nd nap at 3:15, try bedtime at 7:30ish and see how that goes.
He will probably need 1 nap soon anyway, and then the 11 am nap should work with a 630ish wake up and 7/7:30 ish bedtime.

Good luck!

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Sep 07 2020, 1:22 pm
yiddishmom wrote:

Then make it the 11 nap is the only nap. There will be a few bad days where he collapses at 6, and then he’ll regulate into a normal sleep schedule where he sleeps later and lengthens that one nap.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics