Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Anyone make their own cheese?

judyjew

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 3:07 pm
I'm looking for kosher rennet to make cheese. Anyone know where I can get a hold of some? TIA!

Ruchel

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 3:25 pm
MY mil is yet to manage

miami85

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 3:34 pm
It's not hard to obtain on Amazon, what's harder is finding unpasteurized milk. We looked into it when we had a ton of milk this summer, and you need unpasteurized milk.

Frumme

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 8:37 pm
miami85 wrote:
It's not hard to obtain on Amazon, what's harder is finding unpasteurized milk. We looked into it when we had a ton of milk this summer, and you need unpasteurized milk.

You can use pasteurized milk, just not ultra pasteurized. Here's a fun experiment someone did: https://www.homestead.org/food.....milk/

Which rennet on Amazon have you found that is kosher? I've only seen the company that repackages kosher certified rennet into smaller bottles, but their own facility isn't kosher (thus voiding the kashrus).

You can buy nettles in bulk from Amazon though and then make nettle rennet

Good Friend

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 9:40 pm
I did a little bit of research about a year ago and it looks like the only rennet that is Kosher comes in bulk.
So I gave up on that, but I do make my own yogurt and ricotta cheese on a regular basis, with long life milk.

ddmom

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 10:48 pm
I made cheese a few times with extra milk we got from school lunches but no rennet.
Comes out as farmer cheese! Delicious in cheese cake, cheese latkes or blintzes!

GLUE

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 11:13 pm
Many years ago we got rennet that came in small bottles and were certify by the Kashres counsel of Wisconsin. I do not remember what company it was (we called up a lot of companies) maybe call the karshres and see if they can give you the name of the company, if they are still certifying it.

** I do not know how to spell Kashres-I hope you can read the word

challahchallah

Post Mon, Sep 07 2020, 1:39 am
We use this. Came heckshered by OK.

https://www.getculture.com/DCI-Supreme.html

judyjew

Post Mon, Sep 07 2020, 2:44 pm
challahchallah wrote:
We use this. Came heckshered by OK.

https://www.getculture.com/DCI-Supreme.html

This is exactly what I've been searching for! Thank you!

ChanieMommy

Post Mon, Sep 07 2020, 2:46 pm
There are also vegan solutions to replace rennet... maybe you want to look there...

Mommy1:)

Post Mon, Sep 07 2020, 2:58 pm
ddmom wrote:
I made cheese a few times with extra milk we got from school lunches but no rennet.
Comes out as farmer cheese! Delicious in cheese cake, cheese latkes or blintzes!

Recipe please??? My freezer is full of milk and I need to start making room to cook for Yom Tov!

ddmom

Post Mon, Sep 07 2020, 4:12 pm
Mommy1:) wrote:
Recipe please??? My freezer is full of milk and I need to start making room to cook for Yom Tov!

You warm up milk in pot! Add 1tsp of salt for each half gallon.
When hot but not boiling add something acid like lemon juice or vinegar! From experience is better to use real lemons, it didn't really work with bottled lemon juice!
Juice of one lemon for each half gallon.
Milk will curdle.Cheese will separate from whey.
Pour in strainer lined with cheese cloth(any thin clean shmatte, a undershirt is perfect!)
Get rid of "juice" squeeze out some liquid but not all! Put in fridge! Cheese is ready to use!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking