Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Negotiating hospital bills

Kumphort

Post Mon, Sep 07 2020, 7:21 pm
I was wondering if anyone had advice with negotiating hospital bills.

I have insurance but still have a 30% copay resulting in $1,000. Was wondering if I should see if the hospital can help me. Should I wait until all bills for for follow up services have been billed and let my bills pile up? Do hospitals usually give breaks when asked? Specially NYU

I have 2 children receiving services in the same hospital. My DH is the insurance holder. Do those become one account based on his name even though the kids have different accounts.

If anyone else has been down this road and has advice or knows someone who does I would really appreciate it

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Sep 07 2020, 7:22 pm
A lot of hospitals have patient assistance programs, and they give discounts based on income, check it out.

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Sep 07 2020, 7:25 pm
I realized that when my bill got to the collection agency- they were always able to give me a 25-30% off deduction, so the last time I had a big bill, I asked the hospital directly if they would just do that for me directly, and they did.

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Sep 07 2020, 7:45 pm
The hospital I had surgery at recently offered an interest free payment plan, and said that I could miss a month without any fees or without reporting to the credit company. They refused to negotiate other than that. I paid for 6 months, then missed a month - and they offered me a percentage off if I paid in full. It was worth borrowing interest free from a gemach to pay the hospital back in full, get it off my head and at less cost.

dankbar

Post Mon, Sep 07 2020, 7:56 pm
Mr Neustadt works with different organizations like RCCS, Chayalifeline etc.to negotiate medical bills.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Sep 07 2020, 8:53 pm
NYU has a great financial aid program with 100% discounts for high income levels. You need to call and ask for the financial aid department and complete their form.
I have done it a few times with them already and it's a really easy process.
Got my entire bill reduced to zero every time.

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Sep 07 2020, 9:05 pm
My baby was taken to the emergency room before he had insurance coverage. The bill is almost $100,000, Columbia or their credit company refuses to negotiate. So far it's going ignored. There's no way I'm paying this amount.

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Sep 07 2020, 9:09 pm
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
My baby was taken to the emergency room before he had insurance coverage. The bill is almost $100,000, Columbia or their credit company refuses to negotiate. So far it's going ignored. There's no way I'm paying this amount.

If the baby was under 30 days he would be insured on your coverage.

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Sep 07 2020, 9:32 pm
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
If the baby was under 30 days he would be insured on your coverage.

He was 2 months old at the time. The hospital made a mistake with his birth certificate and we had to reapply. It took a while till we got it. I called insurance from the hospital and they said they'll backdate 3 months. When the baby finally got insurance, they refused to backdate. So now we're stuck.

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Sep 07 2020, 9:34 pm
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
He was 2 months old at the time. The hospital made a mistake with his birth certificate and we had to reapply. It took a while till we got it. I called insurance from the hospital and they said they'll backdate 3 months. When the baby finally got insurance, they refused to backdate. So now we're stuck.

That’s really tough. Columbia’s billing people are brutal 😕

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Sep 07 2020, 9:45 pm
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
NYU has a great financial aid program with 100% discounts for high income levels. You need to call and ask for the financial aid department and complete their form.
I have done it a few times with them already and it's a really easy process.
Got my entire bill reduced to zero every time.

This!
N.y.u has a great financial assistance program

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Sep 07 2020, 9:49 pm
amother [ Peach ] wrote:

Oy!
Did you apply for financial assistance? Did you complete the a charity Care form? (It May be you did, but I had to make a lot of calls, so just in case if this could help you:
I just did the research for someone I know who had high hospital bills at New York Presbyterian and they applied for help and BH got a big chunk off.)

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Sep 07 2020, 9:53 pm
dankbar wrote:
Mr Neustadt works with different organizations like RCCS, Chayalifeline etc.to negotiate medical bills.

Where can I get hold of him?
A relative of mine thought they had hospital coverage when they came from abroad and ended up only being 75 percent covered.

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Sep 07 2020, 11:36 pm
I don't know nyu, but I had a procedure in LIJ done that multiple doctors said I needed, but insurance refused to cover. The hospital bill alone, not including the anesthesiologist or doctor itself was over $11,000. I called the hospital and after filling out some forms, granted me a huge break. I was left paying about 10%. The hospital and doctors all let me make a payment plan to pay a little each month. Call the billing department and see if they can help you.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics