Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains
Food prices went skyrocketing - help!

lk1234

Post Tue, Sep 01 2020, 2:48 pm
I am shocked at how prices for virtually all foods went up! What is going on? Can someone tell me if this is temporary or here to stay? Does anyone have any solutions?

southernbubby

Post Tue, Sep 01 2020, 5:33 pm
The supply chains were disrupted by restaurants and cafeterias being closed as well as Covid infections in migrant farm workers. Add to that, salmonella being found in lots of produce and now everything costs more.

lk1234

Post Tue, Sep 01 2020, 5:49 pm
Yikes -are the prices going to eventually go down? I just bought a small jar of mayonniase for $7??

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Sep 01 2020, 5:50 pm
lk1234 wrote:
Yikes -are the prices going to eventually go down? I just bought a small jar of mayonniase for $7??
omg. Where are you shopping?

ra_mom

Post Tue, Sep 01 2020, 5:51 pm
Some consumers haven't been buying as much due to the school boxes. The grocery stores are really hurting.

Amarante

Post Tue, Sep 01 2020, 9:15 pm
$7 for a small jar of mayonnaise is extreme. My mayo in a supermarket is well below that price.

That said, prices for food have been increasing because of the pandemic. Depending on the specific item, there are different reasons but essentially there are issues all up and down the supply chain - the cost of labor to pick produce; the high level of infection in meat packing; higher costs for the labor of shipping items to market; higher costs for raw materials to manufacture packing materials.

And free food given to school children has not hurt grocery stores. It is a very minor amount of food that is distributed in school boxes and so it is hard to imagine a store that lost a significant amount of sales due to people not buying food.

From what I have read, most grocery stores are actually doing extremely well because people are eating at home so all the money spent to eat out is now spent for food at a grocery store - or almost all.

Fave

Post Tue, Sep 01 2020, 9:23 pm
Amarante wrote:
And free food given to school children has not hurt grocery stores. It is a very minor amount of food that is distributed in school boxes and so it is hard to imagine a store that lost a significant amount of sales due to people not buying food.

From what I have read, most grocery stores are actually doing extremely well because people are eating at home so all the money spent to eat out is now spent for food at a grocery store - or almost all.

NY and NJ supermarkets in the heavily populated Jewish areas were definitely impacted by the grab and go food programs.

I didn’t by milk, bread, cheese, cereal and other weekly staples in months. My friends and I planned our weekly menus around the food boxes.

My grocery/produce expenses we’re probably halved.

I know that this only anecdotal evidence but I’m sure that I’m right on this.

srbmom

Post Tue, Sep 01 2020, 9:34 pm
I shop at walmart for all my groceries (OOT). I have not noticed any major change in prices. I have noticed tons of products out of stock much more frequently though.

whewpy

Post Tue, Sep 01 2020, 10:58 pm
I, and many others, are buying much more in the grocery stores. They are not losing money. In fact, for the first time ever, the grocery store was packed every single week in the summer. I had to wait on line for a shopping cart several times. This is in brooklyn.

I did ask some neighbors where getting boxes as to how its affected their grocery shopping. They said they get amazing boxes of food but most of it is not things they buy every week like falafel balls, potato knishes, lox, chocolate milk and more. So, besides for an abundance of milk, they see a slight reduction but not much

wtvr

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 6:52 am
I heard from a store owner that his sales are down 30-40% due to food distributions.

SaraBrooklyn

Post Mon, Sep 07 2020, 1:59 pm
I think the boxes introduced us to many new products we normally would not have tried. in case any manufactures are listening its a good marketing idea to get people to try new products out offer them in boxes or sales in stores

dankbar

Post Tue, Sep 08 2020, 3:03 am
Supply chain got disrupted sometimes not for waiting for product itself to be shipped or enter country just for minor, silly things like a label, container, cover etc.

cbg

Post Tue, Sep 08 2020, 9:03 am
$7 for Mayo????
Jumbo eggs by me were $1/dz
I use only olive oil which is $10 for a 2liter bottle
That can make a lot of mayo
Make your own
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains