Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Would you leave your children without a babysitter?
Previous  1  2  3

nchr

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 10:33 am
Yes I would.

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 10:53 am
Unforeseen tragedies- could simply be sleeping through a younger sibling getting up and doing who knows what.

Your average kid won't wake up. My teenage daughter (age 16) still won't babysit for her younger siblings while she's asleep. She stays up until I get home, whenever it is, because she doesn't trust herself to wake up.

Rappel

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 11:02 am
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
Unforeseen tragedies- could simply be sleeping through a younger sibling getting up and doing who knows what.

Your average kid won't wake up. My teenage daughter (age 16) still won't babysit for her younger siblings while she's asleep. She stays up until I get home, whenever it is, because she doesn't trust herself to wake up.

That's where the baby monitor and the alert neighbor come in. In case a kid wakes up.

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 11:24 am
Things can happen too quickly for a neighbor to run over and prevent.
A neighbor is not glued to the monitor every second let's say she's in the bathroom or water is running and she misses something.
Fires don't only happen because a stove is on.

doodlesmom

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 12:21 pm
I started leaving my kids to babysit at night when my son was 12. Even then I found that he did not hear the 3 year old heading to he bathroom, so I installed nest cams and now I constantly check on them via the cameras, through which I can talk to them as well.
I also make sure there is someone nearby in case of emergency.

Rappel

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 12:21 pm
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
Things can happen too quickly for a neighbor to run over and prevent.
A neighbor is not glued to the monitor every second let's say she's in the bathroom or water is running and she misses something.
Fires don't only happen because a stove is on.

Now you're just being alarmist. Smile Honestly, what could "happen too quickly for a neighbor to prevent," that I could have prevented? Not much.

And the idea of the monitor is that it's a portable radio in the vicinity while she looks after her own kids. I hope she's doing things while keeping track of the monitor. I hope she goes to the bathroom, and washes dishes. After all, if my kids so much as breathe loudly, the monitor picks it up. It even tells her what the temperature is in their room. And do you never go to the bathroom when you're alone with the children? Do you charge your babysitters to not use the toilet while their charges sleep? Of course not, that's ridiculous.

And you're right about fires. There can be an electric fire. The house could be struck by lightning. We could have a magma explosion along the Jordan Valley Rift. But I'm not on the alert for those, because there is no reason for them to happen. So the same assurance which allows me to sleep at night, and not stand guard against the possibility of the washing machine sparking onto the laundry basket, also allows me to step out and do a round of hakafot shniyot while a willing and capable ear listens in.

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 12:34 pm
Sure I go to the bathroom. But it's not the same being 1 room away and 1 house away, at all.
I guess I've heard too many horror stories. Real ones, not urban myths. It's not worth it to take the chance. If a neighbor asked me I'd say no. No way would I want that responsibility on my head. Morally or legally.

avrahamama

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 12:38 pm
Sleeping kids no.

My parents left me home alone often. I would chain the door.

One night I slept so soundly they got locked out. This was before cellphones so they couldn't even call me. Apparently they threw coins and shouted etc. And I woke up and let them in. I don't remember doing this as I was sleepwalking.

So sleeping kids are not advisable.

Rappel

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 12:40 pm
Sure I go to the bathroom. But it's not the same being 1 room away and 1 house away, at all.
I guess I've heard too many horror stories. Real ones, not urban myths. It's not worth it to take the chance. If a neighbor asked me I'd say no. No way would I want that responsibility on my head. Morally or legally.

I'm not rejecting what you said; I'm genuinely curious: what tragedy have you heard of which is likely to occur when the caregiver is listening from 30 feet away?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 12:56 pm
No. If they're not old enough to babysit when awake then definitely not when asleep.

And if they are old enough (12/13 or so), then they need to be told that they'll be alone. before they go to bed.

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 1:00 pm
Rappel wrote:
I'm not rejecting what you said; I'm genuinely curious: what tragedy have you heard of which is likely to occur when the caregiver is listening from 30 feet away?

I saw a toddler in a burn unit with terrible burns from hot water. The boiler had malfunctioned, and when he turned on the faucet it came out scalding hot. That's just one.
Sorry if a mom is in the next room it can't compare to someone listening over a monitor who would need to realize there is a noise and come over. And, for example with something like burns literally every second counts.

Metukah

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 1:24 pm
In my state it is. A babysitter must be at least 13 for a charge under 9.

I don't know where you live but where I live a babysitter who is not part of the family must be 14+ , but, a sibling can be younger. It is up to the parents discretion to decide when the child is ready and responsible enough.

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 1:52 pm
Metukah wrote:
I don't know where you live but where I live a babysitter who is not part of the family must be 14+ , but, a sibling can be younger. It is up to the parents discretion to decide when the child is ready and responsible enough.

Doesn't matter if the baby sitter is related.
I just took a refresher child abuse and neglect training for work. That is the law in my state. Others may differ.

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 3:01 pm
When I was almost 13 my parents went to an evening wedding and I babysat my younger siblings. A fire broke out and I was old enough to handle the situation but I think that would be tough for a 10-year-old to deal with.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics