Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Jewish book recommendations for several ages

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 10:13 am
I'm looking to buy some Jewish books for my daughters for the upcoming Y"T, and a looking for recommendations. They're 4, 9, and 12.

I'm thinking of the Voyage to Good Middos series for the 9 year old, and maybe some Avener Gold books for the 12 year old? Any other recommendations? I'm open to suggestions.

If there are any nice books on Y"T, I'd like something like that for the 4 year old. Or if not, maybe about brachos? Or aleph beyz? I'd like some type of "learn about something" book for her.

Thank you!

GLUE

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 12:12 pm
Did you try any Menucha Fuchs books? She has some on Yom Tov, They will be good for your 9 year old, your 12 might also enjoy them. Red is for Riomon (the jewish word for pomegranate- I not shore how to spell it) would be good for your 4 year old it is about colors.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 12:32 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm looking to buy some Jewish books for my daughters for the upcoming Y"T, and a looking for recommendations. They're 4, 9, and 12.

I'm thinking of the Voyage to Good Middos series for the 9 year old, and maybe some Avener Gold books for the 12 year old? Any other recommendations? I'm open to suggestions.

If there are any nice books on Y"T, I'd like something like that for the 4 year old. Or if not, maybe about brachos? Or aleph beyz? I'd like some type of "learn about something" book for her.

Thank you!

Your kids haven't read these books yet?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 12:41 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Your kids haven't read these books yet?

Voyage to Good Middos- no. Or if yes, it was a long time ago.

Avner Gold- I'm not sure. I think we may have had one around and she wasn't interested in reading it. I'm hoping either she'll be more interested now, or that someone will suggest a better option Smile

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 12:44 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Voyage to Good Middos- no. Or if yes, it was a long time ago.

Avner Gold- I'm not sure. I think we may have had one around and she wasn't interested in reading it. I'm hoping either she'll be more interested now, or that someone will suggest a better option Smile

Maybe Mimi in the Middle series? Does she like historical fiction? What's the last book she read? This will give an idea of her level and likes.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 12:47 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Maybe Mimi in the Middle series? Does she like historical fiction? What's the last book she read? This will give an idea of her level and likes.

She's a pretty advanced reader. She likes All for the Boss, for example. She mainly reads non-Jewish books, so I can't think of offhand any other Jewish book examples that she likes. (And as this is a surprise, I don't want to ask her).

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 12:54 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
She's a pretty advanced reader. She likes All for the Boss, for example. She mainly reads non-Jewish books, so I can't think of offhand any other Jewish book examples that she likes. (And as this is a surprise, I don't want to ask her).

And what about your 9 year old?

Serina by (forgot first name) Tanenwold and The Youngest Bride by Menucha Chana Levin are historical and popular with this age. I just read Name the Stars by Penina Wieser and loved it.

What about the 9 year old?

And re the 4 year old, I don't know if this is too old, but Genendel Krohn has lovely story collections. I think she has one on Tishrei.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 12:59 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Serina by (forgot first name) Tanenwold and The Youngest Bride by Menucha Chana Levin are historical and popular with this age. I just read Name the Stars by Penina Wieser and loved it.

Those are for the 9 year old? Or 12 year old?

PinkFridge wrote:
And re the 4 year old, I don't know if this is too old, but Genendel Krohn has lovely story collections. I think she has one on Tishrei.

Taking a look, I think it's too old. She does better with books that are on the easy side for her age.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 1:02 pm
Those are for the 12 year old.
And what books has your 9 y.o. liked?

#BestBubby

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 1:03 pm
For the 9 - 12 year old a Kid Speak book. Warning: Many of them are sad. But I think it helps for
kids to see that other kids have problems and the situation has improved at the end of the story.

Also my DD enjoyed the Bakers Dozen books - a serial about a large family, including a set
of quintuplets.

For the 4 year old - check out Manny and the Pickle Tantrum - not sure of the exact title.
But it's about a boy who was allowed to tantrum and grows up to be a tantrum throwing man.

Last edited by #BestBubby on Wed, Sep 09 2020, 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 1:04 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Those are for the 12 year old.

Oh ok great. Thanks!

PinkFridge wrote:
And what books has your 9 y.o. liked?

She likes Kids Speak a lot.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 1:08 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
For the 9 - 12 year old a Kid Speak book. Warning: Many of them are sad. But I think it helps for
kids to see that other kids have problems and the situation has improved at the end of the story.

Also my DD enjoyed the Bakers Dozen books - a serial about a large family, including a set
of quintuplets.

For the 4 year old - check out Manny and the Pickle Tantrum - not sure of the exact title.
But it's about a boy who was allowed to tantrum and grows up to be a tantrum throwing man.

My 9 year old daughter has actually read a lot of the Kids Speak books and loves them. So it's a great suggestions, but wouldn't work as a present of "a book she never read / hasn't read much".

I'll check out the Bakers Dozen and Manny and the Pickle Tantrum. Thanks!

seeker

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 2:09 pm
My 8-9 love Burksfield Bike Club. And the "Just Imagine" comic series (modern-day versions of yom tov stories) but they get through them really fast.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 5:39 pm
Some nice books for your 4 y.o.:
https://www.amazon.sg/Theres-R.....28900 and Goldie and the Guests by the same author.

Speaking of guests I love Around the Shabbos Table by Seryl Berman.

A lot of 9 year olds are starting to read story anthologies, by authors like Miriam Schonzeit, Libby Lazewnik, Rachel Stein. I'm sure I'll come up with others after I log off.

Oh, and a popular author for 12 y.o.s is Eva Vogiel.

Some more historical fiction for your oldest: The Stars Will Guide You and Into the Fire by Miriam Walfish, Far From the Place We Call Home by Sarah Schleimer, Ticket to Life by Toker. By Miriam Luxenbourg: Victory Gardens and Field of Dreams. Junior Artsroll biographies, like Rebbetzin Kanievsky and Hennie Machlis a"h would be nice.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 7:12 pm
Menucha Fuchs books are geared toward beginner readers, not 9 year olds.

mommy9

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 7:21 pm
The "I go to" or "let's go to" books for the 4 yr old
Are those Menucha Fuchs? My son loved them

grateful2bmom

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 8:14 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My 9 year old daughter has actually read a lot of the Kids Speak books and loves them. So it's a great suggestions, but wouldn't work as a present of "a book she never read / hasn't read much".

I'll check out the Bakers Dozen and Manny and the Pickle Tantrum. Thanks!

The title is Manny in a Pickle. I don’t remember the author offhand but it’s really nice. Other books for the 4 year old - Chani Altein and Marc Luke’s have some nice books with fantastic illustrations- Benny’s Mitzvah Notes, something about Where Hashem might be and another 1 or 2.
The Middos Man series can also work. Nice stories, realistic etc. there is one Middos Malkah (girls version) that came out around Pesach time but my daughter loves Middos man too.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 9:43 pm
[quote="grateful2bmom"]The title is Manny in a Pickle. I don’t remember the author offhand but it’s really nice. Other books for the 4 year old - Chani Altein and Marc Luke’s have some nice books with fantastic illustrations- Benny’s Mitzvah Notes, something about Where Hashem might be and another 1 or 2.
The Middos Man series can also work. Nice stories, realistic etc. there is one Middos Malkah (girls version) that came out around Pesach time but my daughter loves Middos man too.[/

Spell check?
If you want CD books, yes, Middos Malkah, also the Yael books by Malky Weinstock. I think that one of the big companies has a brachos books with CD but I don't remember the name offhand.

#BestBubby

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 10:29 pm
For the 4 year old: Labels for Label - a famous book about siblings sharing

Another series for 9 - 12 year olds is BY Times.

Adopted Princess by Marcus Lehman
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics