Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Mishpacha -Journeys through life
Previous  1  2  3  Next

farm

Post Tue, Sep 08 2020, 10:37 pm
I was so annoyed by the story. It was cute the first time in the Purim issue, and cute-ish with the Bernstein Bears, but now it’s become a thing and I’m super sick of it. Enough!

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 5:05 am
farm wrote:
I was so annoyed by the story. It was cute the first time in the Purim issue, and cute-ish with the Bernstein Bears, but now it’s become a thing and I’m super sick of it. Enough!

There were others. A Cat in the Hat one, for starters.
They're cute. But you are very entitled to your opinion. Mishpacha is monitoring this thread, I'm sure. Hiding

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 5:23 am
farm wrote:

I have to agree, it's overdone at this point. Or save for Purim edition only.

singleagain

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 5:56 am
Well..I never saw this story before now so I'm glad it was around to be shared. I grew up loving journeys and thinking those 3 almond were perfect and then when the fourth came out it was a big deal and even more perfect

Amelia Bedelia

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 5:58 am
Am I the only one who is not familiar with most of the Journeys songs? I recognized the reference, but was disappointed that I wasn't able to "get" most of the story.

cbsp

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 6:23 am
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
Am I the only one who is not familiar with most of the Journeys songs? I recognized the reference, but was disappointed that I wasn't able to "get" most of the story.

It's never too late...

The Journeys albums are available here:

https://jewishmusic.fm/home?s=.....rneys

Odelyah

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 6:36 am
I recognized most of the references but not all, so I ended up finding it kind of confusing and not really getting how it came together. I thought the other stories of this genre were cute. I think they worked better because they were based on individual children's books or series that are very familiar to most people, rather than relying on people to remember specific details of stories in a large number of songs, so that you only "get" it if you knew/remembered ALL of the songs rather than some, and I think many readers may not be familiar with them at all, so would have found it completely confusing and inaccessible. As opposed to the other much more easily recognizable references in the other stories, which I, and I assume many other readers, enjoyed very much! Thumbs Up (Or even if it wasn't their thing, they would still "get it")

cbsp

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 9:54 am
Found another Very Happy

Yankel (am ha'aretz)

seeker

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 10:42 am
Very impressive how they fit everything together! But yes, more fun at Purim time, a little random now.

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 10:48 am
It was great -- I got every single reference! Like others here the timing made no sense but I guess the editors liked it so much they wanted to use it immediately. It was very smartly written.

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 11:32 am
farm wrote:

Do you like fiction in general? What sort?

seeker

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 11:40 am
I mean these things kind of have a high school flavor to me, but hey if it was fun in high school then why not now? (or was it just me and my friends who loved writing parodies in high school? nah, can't be)

realsilver

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 12:52 pm
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
Both Torontonians thats why!

Who is the author?

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 12:54 pm
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:

I'm not farm, but as someone who agrees with her...this isn't really what I would call fiction. It's a parody like someone else said, and extremely hard to do well. The ones I've read in Frum magazines are cutesy at best (imo) but mostly stilted and silly.

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 1:02 pm
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
I'm not farm, but as someone who agrees with her...this isn't really what I would call fiction. It's a parody like someone else said, and extremely hard to do well. The ones I've read in Frum magazines are cutesy at best (imo) but mostly stilted and silly.

Honestly I can't really stomach any frum fiction, but at least these parodies are fun. To me the other stuff is just eye roll material.

smss

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 1:08 pm
farm wrote:

I agree. I love Journeys enough that I read the whole thing, but the concept is getting very tired. (So are the sci-fi-ish ones with time travel, magic pills etc...)

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 8:35 pm
Odelyah wrote:
I recognized most of the references but not all, so I ended up finding it kind of confusing and not really getting how it came together. I thought the other stories of this genre were cute. I think they worked better because they were based on individual children's books or series that are very familiar to most people, rather than relying on people to remember specific details of stories in a large number of songs, so that you only "get" it if you knew/remembered ALL of the songs rather than some, and I think many readers may not be familiar with them at all, so would have found it completely confusing and inaccessible. As opposed to the other much more easily recognizable references in the other stories, which I, and I assume many other readers, enjoyed very much! Thumbs Up (Or even if it wasn't their thing, they would still "get it")

That's me Confused Confused Confused

farm

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 10:52 pm
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:

Yes I very much enjoy fiction in general. Should I list some authors I like (secular)?
I generally enjoy the calligraphy stories on Yom Tov as long as they aren’t tragic or O’Henry type aggravating Smile

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 12:12 am
farm wrote:
Yes I very much enjoy fiction in general. Should I list some authors I like (secular)?
I generally enjoy the calligraphy stories on Yom Tov as long as they aren’t tragic or O’Henry type aggravating Smile

Generally I don't find frum fiction comparable, I was referring to what sort of fiction you like to see in the frum magazines. Yes, Calligraphy is usually very good.

seeker

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 1:25 am
As with most things, there are some absolutely fabulous writers and some ok writers, there are some excellent fiction stories and some blah ones (even from the fabulous writers; no one can just consistently produce wins), and different people have different tastes so there will always be some things that appeal to you and some things that don't appeal to you but other people love them. It doesn't behoove any of us to put down a specific or general type of writing.

Just realized we're all probably dating ourselves here, if you recognized most or all of the Journeys references I bet you're an 80s or 90s kid, am I right? They don't make fans like they used to.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics