Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Can you wiggle your ears?
1  2  Next

Can you wiggle your ears?
Yes, both of them!  
 28%  [ 36 ]
Only my left ear  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Only my right ear  
 5%  [ 7 ]
No, but I can wiggle my toes :)  
 58%  [ 74 ]
I never thought about it, but now I'm going to try...  
 7%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 127

mamma llama

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 1:38 am
This is a very random question, but... can you wiggle your ears?

I was just thinking about this, and I'm curious how many people here can actually do it?

(I can't, but I think it's a cool talent!)

Also, if you can do it, is there a way to explain how you do it?

Rutabaga

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 1:47 am

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 2:13 am
I think most people can with practice. It's a muscle on the face that control them going up and down. I realized that my ears go up a lot when I smile so I evantually seperated the muscle that does that and practiced enough.

malki2

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 2:14 am
Hi

Very well. And no, I canโ€™t explain how itโ€™s done. It sort of feels like opening your eyes wide, except that it goes backwards rather than up. Among my other talents are flaring my nostrils, raising a single eyebrow, and turning my eyelids inside-out (this needs to be done by hand). I guess I was bored in school.

ChanieMommy

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 4:30 am
...funny there are more right-earers than left-earers...

I did not expect the proportion of wigglers to non-wiggles to be 50:50. I expected wigglers to be a small minority...

Elfrida

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 4:58 am
ChanieMommy wrote:
...funny there are more right-earers than left-earers...

I did not expect the proportion of wigglers to non-wiggles to be 50:50. I expected wigglers to be a small minority...

This isn't a scientific poll. Probably people who can wiggle their ears are more interested, and more likely to open this thread.

I can wiggle my ears and my eyebrows, but not at the same time.

simcha2

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 6:14 am
I taught myself when I was a kid. I stood in front of the mirror and worked on it until I isolated the muscle and could move if independently. (Is that a word?)

I'd read in a book you could learn and so tried.

miami85

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 8:58 am
I remember in high school a teacher telling us that it was possible to teach yourself. I don't remember when I discovered I could do it. Even more interesting is that for the most part I am very Right-dominant--hand, foot etc. But I have a much easier time with my left ear but I'm pretty sure I can do both.

Frumme

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 9:03 am
I can wiggle both. But I can only wiggle my right ear if the muscle for my left ear is also "activated," if that makes sense. When I get bored enough, I try to isolate the muscle on its own, but no real success yet.

tigerwife

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 9:07 am
Interesting. I can only wiggle both at the same time.

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 9:23 am
Double...

Last edited by amother on Thu, Sep 10 2020, 9:25 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 9:24 am
Yes, yes.
What about how they hang, as in low, and if they wobble to and fro? Not to mention knots and bows... mine don't.

yOungM0mmy

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 9:54 am
I can wiggle both, but only both, not one at a time. My kids think it's the funniest thing. I can't remember how I figured it out. Doing it now and trying to isolate the action, and I can't describe it. it's like a muscle right at the back of your jaw/lower cheekbone, and you move it back and forth. Weird Smile

challahchallah

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 1:02 pm
I learned by manually moving them up and down manually for so long that the muscle got tired. Once it was tired / sore, I could feel it, and that let me know how to move it. Ahh, childhood, when I had time for this sort of thing ๐Ÿ˜‰

I had always moved both together, but now trying to isolate it seems I can do the right one on its own but not the left. I like to think I could get there with practice, but who knows. Iโ€™ll come back and report when this bubbles to the top of my priority list. ๐Ÿ˜›๐Ÿ˜›

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 1:12 pm
My mom can!
I can't.

mamma llama

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 1:16 pm
challahchallah wrote:
I learned by manually moving them up and down manually for so long that the muscle got tired. Once it was tired / sore, I could feel it, and that let me know how to move it. Ahh, childhood, when I had time for this sort of thing ๐Ÿ˜‰

I had always moved both together, but now trying to isolate it seems I can do the right one on its own but not the left. I like to think I could get there with practice, but who knows. Iโ€™ll come back and report when this bubbles to the top of my priority list. ๐Ÿ˜›๐Ÿ˜›

I am seriously going to try this!
(I may get some weird stares, but when my ears wiggle, it will all be worth it...! LOL )

seeker

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 2:01 pm
I can do both, taught myself how by first moving my whole face and then isolating the part that moves the ear - it's really kind of under/in front of the ear.

challahchallah

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 2:17 pm
mamma llama wrote:
I am seriously going to try this!
(I may get some weird stares, but when my ears wiggle, it will all be worth it...! LOL )

Please do and report back! Fair warning, I remember it taking quite a while. Then again, I had the patience of a little kid so maybe itโ€™s not actually that long.

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 2:37 pm
Yeah, I think I was 11 before I learned how. I remember lying in bed and having this weird feeling on my head then suddenly it hit me "maybe I just wiggled my ears" then running to the mirror to look, and sure enough! I was thrilled. I don't think it's ever really helped me in life though

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 11:26 pm
It's probably genetic just like the ability to make a U shape with your tongue without touching your tongue- some can't some can.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics