Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Becoming a personal trainer

subby

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 11:31 pm
Hi I would love to train to become a personal trainer. Anyone on here that does it and would be able to help me? Which course is good? How long does it take to get the license? Thanks in advance

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 1:54 am
My husband became a personal trainer through ACE about 8 years ago. I think now the more respected program is NASM, but either is fine. Check their websites for the details.

(I also suggest learning FMS after getting certified. Once you learn it, you'll see that alot of certified personal trainers are really lacking important knowledge)

subby

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 9:10 am
THanks. I did come across those 2 on the internet but wasnt sure if its good? What does FMS stand for?

4thebooks

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 9:26 am
subby wrote:
THanks. I did come across those 2 on the internet but wasnt sure if its good? What does FMS stand for?

FMS stands for Functional Movement Systems.

I signed up by NASM for the CPT and AFAA for the GFI.
I chose the deluxe package, don’t remember how much I paid cuz it was 3 years ago, I took the exam but failed since I didn’t study well.
I have been wanting to re take the exam but I’m a visual learner and studying on my own even with the little snippets and videos they provide are not enough for me. NASM is known as one of the top certifications that are well accredited by most gyms.
There are other ones that is supposed to be easier and less invasive but don’t know how well it’s accepted. It also really depends where you plan on working, if you train private clients on your own then you don’t need NASM per se, you can go with ACSM, ACE or anything else that’s out there, but again, knowledge is power and you also learn a lot as you go, some things can only be learned with experience.
I would say if you have a specific gym you want to work out of, find out what certifications they accept and go from there.
From the research I have done most people say that NASM’s program has way more information than what’s actually needed to train clients. I find the Biomechanics, Anatomy and physiology chapters extremely hard to understand but maybe you are a better student then I am.
One gym that wanted to hire me asked me to get certified through expertrating.com it’s a certification that teaches the minimum basics and you take the exam online. I would do that but if I want to grow and work in more upscale gyms I’d take NASM in addition to that.
Let me know if you sign up, and maybe we can become study buddies?? I think NASM has a 14 day free trial. Good luck!

Ruchel

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 9:31 am
I've seen one advertising. No license, just sporty lady

subby

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 11:35 am
4thebooks wrote:
FMS stands for Functional Movement Systems.

I signed up by NASM for the CPT and AFAA for the GFI.
I chose the deluxe package, don’t remember how much I paid cuz it was 3 years ago, I took the exam but failed since I didn’t study well.
I have been wanting to re take the exam but I’m a visual learner and studying on my own even with the little snippets and videos they provide are not enough for me. NASM is known as one of the top certifications that are well accredited by most gyms.
There are other ones that is supposed to be easier and less invasive but don’t know how well it’s accepted. It also really depends where you plan on working, if you train private clients on your own then you don’t need NASM per se, you can go with ACSM, ACE or anything else that’s out there, but again, knowledge is power and you also learn a lot as you go, some things can only be learned with experience.
I would say if you have a specific gym you want to work out of, find out what certifications they accept and go from there.
From the research I have done most people say that NASM’s program has way more information than what’s actually needed to train clients. I find the Biomechanics, Anatomy and physiology chapters extremely hard to understand but maybe you are a better student then I am.
One gym that wanted to hire me asked me to get certified through expertrating.com it’s a certification that teaches the minimum basics and you take the exam online. I would do that but if I want to grow and work in more upscale gyms I’d take NASM in addition to that.
Let me know if you sign up, and maybe we can become study buddies?? I think NASM has a 14 day free trial. Good luck!
I would love a study partner!! I really want to work on my own not for a gym. I have to decide on a program but im definitely signing up to something.

4thebooks

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 11:47 am
subby wrote:
I would love a study partner!! I really want to work on my own not for a gym. I have to decide on a program but im definitely signing up to something.

Sounds great! PM if you really want to study together. I think if I have a serious partner and do it together with someone it will def motivate me!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics