Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
"Not Testing"/"Don't Test"
Previous  1  2  3  4

ChanieMommy

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 6:10 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
The tests are so inaccurate. People with no symptoms test positive and people sick in bed with all symptoms test negative. This is why quarantine & masks are important. As soon as I felt sick I let the people I had been together with know. You should do this regardless of testing.

That's why this disease is so tricky, that's why it could spread so rapidly all over the world and cause over 900'000 deaths worldwide and over 1000 per day in the USA:
asymptomatic carriers!!!

SARS1 was really more lethal (10% mortality), but people had clear symptoms before they became contagious... It was stopped and eliminated in humans after about 10'000 cases... never spread like covid-19 did... same goes for Ebola... which has a 90% mortality... but no asymptomatic transmission... much lower death toll...

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 6:15 pm
And if it is this contagious and lethal why didn't every politician and health official jump to shut down the protests?

Yes at the same time we understand this is a real problem.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 6:25 pm
The city can always test sewage and require testing of residents whose sewage indicates that an infected person lives in the house.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 6:28 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
And if it is this contagious and lethal why didn't every politician and health official jump to shut down the protests?

Yes at the same time we understand this is a real problem.

Didn't Republicans object to the protests? Somehow those didn't seem to cause as many infections as religious services, weddings, and family gatherings.

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 8:02 pm
Just wanted to say that my very yeshivish rav told my husband he has an achrayis to test when he only had cold symptoms. Test came back positive and now we are all quarantining. There are plenty of communities that are being responsible ...

ChanieMommy

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 8:04 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
Just wanted to say that my very yeshivish rav told my husband he has an achrayis to test when he only had cold symptoms. Test came back positive and now we are all quarantining. There are plenty of communities that are being responsible ...

That's good to hear...

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 8:09 pm
southernbubby wrote:
Didn't Republicans object to the protests? Somehow those didn't seem to cause as many infections as religious services, weddings, and family gatherings.

Indoors vs outdoors

STMommy

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 8:45 pm

Happy to hear!

Ruchel

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 4:37 am
My mother tested negative after taking train with italians and being sick

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 9:56 am
STMommy wrote:
Can someone please explain this to me because it is making my head explode but maybe there's more to the story.
Many posters have commented on here in recent weeks that in their communities people are "not testing" for COVID even if they have symptoms or are being explicitly told by their rabbanim/school hanhala "Don't test".
I am also aware of the recent psak from Israel regarding high school bachurim.
This is the kind of things that gets my blood boiling before I fully understand it (or maybe I do and it really is that infuriating) but since this is very much NOT happening in my community, where everyone is still being careful and responsible, I would appreciate any insight.

I would not test.
Why?
Because the results wouldn’t alter what I’m doing.
I’m already home 99.9% of the time. My rare trip out to shop is 10 minutes in the store, masked and social distanced.
Now if I had symptoms, I’d skip the store and up my supplements.
Only if things got very very bad and I needed meds and nobody would prescribe without a test, then I’d test.

Miri1

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 11:02 am

Refuah Sheleima to your husband, and I hope the quarantine period goes easy and smooth!

southernbubby

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 11:15 am
I would think that if a group of people wanted to skew the numbers, they could send people to be tested that were unlikely to test positive.

ChanieMommy

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 11:20 am
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
I would not test.
Why?
Because the results wouldn’t alter what I’m doing.
I’m already home 99.9% of the time. My rare trip out to shop is 10 minutes in the store, masked and social distanced.
Now if I had symptoms, I’d skip the store and up my supplements.
Only if things got very very bad and I needed meds and nobody would prescribe without a test, then I’d test.

That's fair enough...

In fact, I suppose that back in March, many people who actually had it, all over the world, were told by their respective health ministry task forces not to test, because there were not enough tests available,

ChanieMommy

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 11:22 am
southernbubby wrote:
I would think that if a group of people wanted to skew the numbers, they could send people to be tested that were unlikely to test positive.

Good point.

That's also why I don't like the marker "positivity rate", where they say the lower the positivity rate, the better...

because if the positivity rate is high, it means they target the right people for the tests, and don't squander them on people who don't have the virus...

It coud well be that back in March, there was a 90% mismatch both ways: 80-90% of tests were negative, and over 90% of positives were never tested...

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 11:53 am
2 stories for you!
One lady went to get tested, had to leave before taking the test but got a phone call 2 days later that her test came back positive! They wouldnt wouldn't believe her when she said she didn't end up taking the test! What
One of the older kids in a big family that I know had all covid symptoms but did not get tested so the entire family didn't have to deal with the repercussions of postitive test! Scratching Head
Btw she lost her sense of smell 3 days later! All the other kids inthe house are continuing life as usual, going to school and playing with friends included!
NO COMMENTS NECESSARY! Can't Believe It Banging head

amother
Red

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 2:28 pm
Not reading all pages but this is why:
My friend tested her asymptomatic child because grandparents wanted to visit.
If negative, grandparents could visit. If positive, the whole class shuts down and has to quarantine, and those parents cant go to work and lose parnassa and their fathers can't go to shul.
So maybe just dont have the grandparents come.
So dont just test asymptomatic ppl

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 2:39 pm
amother [ Red ] wrote:
Not reading all pages but this is why:
My friend tested her asymptomatic child because grandparents wanted to visit.
If negative, grandparents could visit. If positive, the whole class shuts down and has to quarantine, and those parents cant go to work and lose parnassa and their fathers can't go to shul.
So maybe just dont have the grandparents come.
So dont just test asymptomatic ppl

Just let that untested kid give covid-19 to another classmate with an immunocompromised sibling, who gives it to a grandparent with lung problems, etc etc.

Is that a good plan?

DrMom

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 2:42 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
Just let that untested kid give covid-19 to another classmate with an immunocompromised sibling, who gives it to a grandparent with lung problems, etc etc.

Is that a good plan?

I don't understand your response. The child wasn't ill, so why would he be tested?

The only motivation for testing was because grandparents were visiting.

amother
Red

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 2:43 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:

Is that a good plan?

You do realize that there are tons of people walking around with asymptomatic covid. No medical professional is trying to track them all down. There is a reason we are all social distancing even in school and wearing masks etc. And chances of asymptomatic people passing it along are low as well.

DrMom

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 2:43 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:

Is that a good plan?

I don't understand your response. The child wasn't ill, so why would he be tested?

The only motivation for testing was because grandparents were visiting.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics