Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Job Positions in Baltimore
Previous  1  2

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 6:55 pm
What is standard to make in that type of position then? What type of positions would pay more? Or are there even any positions where you can start out as level-entry but there's room to grow and expand? How do people make ends meet?

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 6:57 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How do people make ends meet?

Nowadays unfortunately its really tough without a 2 household income.

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 7:02 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yes, looking for full time. Looking for $ 50,000-60,000 range.

Hi op!
I am an accomplished professional with over 10 years experience in a specialized field. My salary is about HALF of what I made in NY. And that was the workplace being overly generous... I don’t mean to burst your bubble but I think that’s a very unrealistic salary...
From what I understand, a lot of people work in their children’s schools as assistants or other positions to get a tuition break.
Much Hatzlocha!
If you moved already, welcome!
We recently moved and we have felt very welcomed by by the neighbors bh!
It’s a wonderful community!

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 8:40 pm
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
Nowadays unfortunately its really tough without a 2 household income.

Most women with those sorts of jobs are rarely the breadwinner here. Usually it's for a second income.
Also, this is why the majority of people who grew up in Baltimore do get a college degree. Even before online degrees or frum programs were around.....

amother
White

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 8:58 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What is standard to make in that type of position then? What type of positions would pay more? Or are there even any positions where you can start out as level-entry but there's room to grow and expand? How do people make ends meet?

Please do your research before your family moves here if you have not moved here already. The cost of living in the general lifestyle here cannot be compared to New York. Positions that pay more need a degree and its worth it to get one. When I completes my BA, I got a very substantial raise at my job. And again, I have to stress - most people do not have jobs in frum workplaces. You have to be flexible. And two incomes are very helpful also.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 9:06 pm
Thanks for the info. What type of BA did you receive a raise for? I have a degree, but I didn't think in the type of position I'm looking for they would care as much. A lof times it comes down to experience, skills, and who you know. Would you say the non-frum jobs pay better even for a job in the same field? If someone wants to work in a frum environment, does it mean they just have to settle for a much smaller salary?

amother
White

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 9:14 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for the info. What type of BA did you receive a raise for? I have a degree, but I didn't think in the type of position I'm looking for they would care as much. A lof times it comes down to experience, skills, and who you know. Would you say the non-frum jobs pay better even for a job in the same field? If someone wants to work in a frum environment, does it mean they just have to settle for a much smaller salary?

Liberal Arts.

In Baltimore it does not come down to who you know. Again, please leave this mindset behind when you move here. Yes I would say the nonfrum jobs pay more. I actually looked into the TA office position and the person hiring is my friend. She laughed when I told her my salary. They cant even come close. I make 50k at my full time job plus benefits. This is after 5 years at this office (raises every year) and I’ve been working since 2000. I’ve only been at an office for about 6 years, I was teaching before (teachers assistant for the most part).

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 9:19 pm
If you have a degree, you can look into a government office job. Many frum people in Baltimore do, federal or state.
Probably they start off in low to mid 40s, but I'm not up on the latest, so I may be off a bit. Good benefits and stability. Which is huge, considering covid complications and working remotely.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 9:36 pm
amother [ White ] wrote:
Liberal Arts.

In Baltimore it does not come down to who you know. Again, please leave this mindset behind when you move here. Yes I would say the nonfrum jobs pay more. I actually looked into the TA office position and the person hiring is my friend. She laughed when I told her my salary. They cant even come close. I make 50k at my full time job plus benefits. This is after 5 years at this office (raises every year) and I’ve been working since 2000. I’ve only been at an office for about 6 years, I was teaching before (teachers assistant for the most part).

It sounds like you moved to Baltimore at some point. Do you feel like it's easier to make ends meet in the tristate area (if you moved from there or aware of the standards and salaries)? What advice would you give to someone looking to join the workforce in Baltimore? Do you know of any fields that are currently needed in the Baltimore frum community? Would there be a specific degree/training that you would reccomend for someone looking for a job in Baltimore's frum community?

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 9:40 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It sounds like you moved to Baltimore at some point. Do you feel like it's easier to make ends meet in the tristate area (if you moved from there or aware of the standards and salaries)? What advice would you give to someone looking to join the workforce in Baltimore? Do you know of any fields that are currently needed in the Baltimore frum community? Would there be a specific degree/training that you would reccomend for someone looking for a job in Baltimore's frum community?

We moved last year. We are making half our salaries but doing better financially

amother
White

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 9:50 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

We’ve been in Baltimore now for 7 years. Before that, we were in Queens for 5 years. Before that, Dallas for 2. Then midwest for the rest. I am 39 (and hi to whoever now knows who I am!). It is a million times easier to afford life here compared to Dallas or Queens. Midwest was very cheap also. I am aware of the NY standards but its narishkeit and I was never bothered to keep up with any of that.

I already gave you advice upthread. Forget about just working in the frum community here. Take ANY job. Any degree. I posted a few jobs upthread also, start with those. Forget the high salary you were hoping for and do your research about Baltimore before moving.

Re: degree - secular jobs just want you to have one. Any degree. It shows a lot about character and ability to complete a daunting task. Its perceived as a good filter for employees. The Area degrees that is relevant as just having one and even most entry level positions require a BA.

Baltimore is amazing. Its very open and very into “to each their own”. There have been many threads lately here about Baltimore. It’s a wonderful and down to earth city with a lot to offer those who have an open mind.

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 10:01 pm
I have to agree with White. There isn't really a specific area of need in the frum community that springs to mind. I mean there are always jobs in the schools, but as she said they don't pay very much. A lot of frum therapists, teachers, etc end up working in public schools.

You never know, things can randomly open up, but I think that would be more on the spot and word of mouth etc.

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 12:18 am
OP, in Cleveland office managers (in non frum workplaces) make a salary in the mid-30s to start. Not sure if it’s similar in Baltimore.

Some of my friends work remotely for Lakewood companies but it can be pretty stressful.

JG845

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 12:37 am
If you work full time here for some out of the Frum community business, or you start with a Frum business and people find out about you. You can rise fast. Also, govt job pay and the benefits are great. Plus you don't work much and can often work from home. Hatzlocha and Welcome

JG845

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 12:38 am
Their are WhatsApp job opening groups as well as frum org that help people here.

amother
White

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 2:20 pm
OP, I just saw another job posting, a small, busy office is looking for a full-time assistant. Frum. I do not want to post this under my screen name, but if you will call this thread to the moderators attention, maybe they can help.

Busy as a bee

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 4:33 pm
It's funny cuz I work in tech and found I almost doubled my salary when I moved here from Lakewood.
But I also work 40+ hours a week which many ppl dont do.

Welcome to Baltimore and if you reach out via PM I'm happy to try to assist!
We moved almost 4 years ago and I LOVE it here.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 4:47 pm
Busy as a bee wrote:
It's funny cuz I work in tech and found I almost doubled my salary when I moved here from Lakewood.
But I also work 40+ hours a week which many ppl dont do.

Welcome to Baltimore and if you reach out via PM I'm happy to try to assist!
We moved almost 4 years ago and I LOVE it here.

Yep, DH is a programmer and many of our friends are engineers. The market for those jobs seems to be great here. A lot of people work for defense contractors. But all of those jobs are not in frum environments.

OP, there seems to be a pretty decent demand for playgroups, esp if you would do full time.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 6:52 pm
amother [ White ] wrote:
OP, I just saw another job posting, a small, busy office is looking for a full-time assistant. Frum. I do not want to post this under my screen name, but if you will call this thread to the moderators attention, maybe they can help.

White, thanks- what field?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating