Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Yeshivish Family looking for small community

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 8:40 pm
We are a large family with children in most grades. We are looking for a small out of town community that has a yeshivish presence where we can still make a difference.
Looking for a community near a Bais Yaakov high school, good day school and preferably a kollel and / or yeshiva . We prefer to stay within a few hours drive to tristate area, but that is not a deal breaker. Our jobs are virtual right now, so we can go anywhere ( in the US.)
Looking for a place with a few friends for my kids, shiurim...but not a huge community where we will blend in ... we want to be involved in growing the community.

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 9:24 pm
how small?
southbend is small. cincinnati is already bigger but not like detroit, cleveland...

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 9:38 pm
rochester ny?

shanie5

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 9:39 pm
You described Scranton Pa. to a T. Except its not been growing much Sad .

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 9:42 pm
Cincinnati may be up your alley.
Hard to find houses though...

amother
Teal

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 11:16 pm
Brighton, MA!! (A neighborhood of Boston) Sounds exactly like what you’re describing. It has 100% all that you listed. I would look into the shul Khal Tiferes Yosef.

doctorima

Post Fri, Sep 11 2020, 12:12 am
Providence, Cherry Hill, and Boston are all worth looking into. If you broaden your geographical parameters, Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston are all wonderful growing communities that are worth looking into.

amother
Blue

Post Fri, Sep 11 2020, 12:39 am
doctorima wrote:
Providence, Cherry Hill, and Boston are all worth looking into. If you broaden your geographical parameters, Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston are all wonderful growing communities that are worth looking into.

Cherry Hill doesn't really have a yeshivish presence. No Bais Yaakov either...

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 11 2020, 8:58 am
Manalapan?

amother
Amber

Post Fri, Sep 11 2020, 9:38 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We are a large family with children in most grades. We are looking for a small out of town community that has a yeshivish presence where we can still make a difference.
Looking for a community near a Bais Yaakov high school, good day school and preferably a kollel and / or yeshiva . We prefer to stay within a few hours drive to tristate area, but that is not a deal breaker. Our jobs are virtual right now, so we can go anywhere ( in the US.)
Looking for a place with a few friends for my kids, shiurim...but not a huge community where we will blend in ... we want to be involved in growing the community.

Waterbury, CT

shaimac1

Post Fri, Sep 11 2020, 10:06 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

South Bend, Indiana has everything you are looking for but it's a drive from NY/NJ. Yet between the affordable housing, low property taxes, and tuition vouchers it really offsets the few times you have to drive to the east coast! We have an Eruv, Mikvah, two shuls, Torah Umesorah Day School, Girls Bas Yaakov High School, Yeshiva Gedola, Kollel, Deli, Kosher Store( with CY items) and Pizza! BH we are growing and we BH have a ton of families with kids in all ages! We are under 2 hours from Chicago too so that helps! Feel free to DM me to learn more!! BH we are even having in person school BH, Blee Ayin Hara!!

amother
Peach

Post Sat, Sep 12 2020, 11:07 pm
I live in a tiny town in New England. Don’t come where I live because we live here for a very specific reason and don’t necessarily recommend it to others, but we do have a lot of connections in Providence and Boston.
Both are very nice places. Boston has a more “lakewood”’ feel to it— tons of transplants from NY, NJ etc. translates into being a bit fancier and higher standards of gashmius. Not crazy and nowhere near what you find in NY, but you can see the NY influence there (fancy sheitels, lots of kids in matching clothes, etc....) housing is also $$$ and hard to find. I also get the impression that if you really want to make a difference in the community, it’s not so easy To get involved. A lot older, established families, plus a New England mentality of “this is the way it’s done......” Khal Tiferes Yosef (mentioned up thread) is a shul in someone’s basement that Is attracting more younger families. The Rav— I forgot his name—‘is from Brooklyn and his wife is from Monsey. It seems like a nice crowd, in an area of Brighton that is less expensive. Boston housing is slightly short of Brooklyn in terms of price, so don’t move there for the low cost of living.

Providence is different— much smaller, less money. Much more room to get involved. The day school is much more yeshivish than appears on the website, so don’t judge by the website. No high school for boys— many boys either go away To wherever (Baltimore, Scranton, etc...) or go to Boston (they dorm during the week and come home for shabbos). 3 hours from Monsey but very VEry out of town mentality/lifestyle. When my DH is done with his “stint” here ——we will probably move to PRovidence (unless we can go back to NJ which is unlikely). It has less amenities than Boston, but it really depends what you are looking for. My husband has the number of one of the shul Rabbonim there— this Rav is active in trying to build up the city and I think they might even be some type of incentive program happening now. I can get you the number if you’re interested.
We have been invited to Waterbury for shabbos A few times and it’s nice there, but it’s getting big. It’s also kind of like a distant suburb of Brooklyn—- it’s has a very NY vibe, vs. Boston or Providence.
Hope that helps— let me know if you have questions.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating