Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Mishpacha -Journeys through life
Previous  1  2  3

WitchKitty

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 4:43 am
seeker wrote:
Just realized we're all probably dating ourselves here, if you recognized most or all of the Journeys references I bet you're an 80s or 90s kid, am I right? They don't make fans like they used to.

I'm a 90s baby... Laugh

amother
Bronze

Post Fri, Sep 11 2020, 1:52 am
I found it kind of weird that they were acting like Joe Dimaggio's card was fiction when we know "Sammy" is Rav Shmuel Kamenetzsky, not Fired or whatever they used in the story

amother
Green

Post Fri, Sep 11 2020, 5:37 am
I am so happy to read anything non covid , or not about mental illness or misdiagnosis .
Besides inspirational pieces, it's nice to read something light, but not frivolous
The author is super talented and I really enjoyed it.
Extremely well done!

Imamothers , let's give praise .
It's been a tough year
We want Hashem to be proud of us🙏

amother
Powderblue

Post Fri, Sep 11 2020, 6:00 am
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
I found it kind of weird that they were acting like Joe Dimaggio's card was fiction when we know "Sammy" is Rav Shmuel Kamenetzsky, not Fired or whatever they used in the story

Wait what?

Joe dimaggio's card is real? Can someone confirm this? And that it is actually referring to /rav' Shmuel Kaminetsky - not a flip-out Rav?

amother
Blonde

Post Fri, Sep 11 2020, 7:13 am
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:

https://yucommentator.org/2019.....ture/

amother
Slateblue

Post Fri, Sep 11 2020, 7:46 am
Anyone know who the author is?
Male/female?

librarygirl

Post Fri, Sep 11 2020, 8:32 am
cbsp wrote:

The only part that seemed really really contrived (as opposed to just merely contrived) is that a kid who lived for winning the game would be so sad that the Rebbe stayed behind and helped them win. To borrow from another thread, I don't think they were so self aware in '65. What's moral support when there's so much more at stake?

Additionally, the ambulance would have taken ages to get there (AFAIK there was no Hatzalah then!) - the game could have been long over by that time...
Very Happy
I still enjoyed every minute of the read...

My husband and I had the opposite reaction. How did we never realize how abnormal it was that the kid broke his leg and they just finished the game with the rebbe? We can never look at that song again the same way LOL

amother
Taupe

Post Fri, Sep 11 2020, 9:05 am
amother [ Green ] wrote:
I am so happy to read anything non covid , or not about mental illness or misdiagnosis .
Besides inspirational pieces, it's nice to read something light, but not frivolous
The author is super talented and I really enjoyed it.
Extremely well done!

Imamothers , let's give praise .
It's been a tough year
We want Hashem to be proud of us🙏

Huh? If someone starts a thread and only wants it to be an echo chamber than state that at the outset. This attitude is what bugs me about some frum publications. I currently have a subscription to mishpacha only, because I like their quality, the fact that they are interested in feedback and don't only publish obsequious letters of praise in their letters to the editor.
Stop with the guilting and please don't bring God into this discussion.

cbsp

Post Sat, Sep 12 2020, 10:20 pm
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
Wait what?

Joe dimaggio's card is real? Can someone confirm this? And that it is actually referring to /rav' Shmuel Kaminetsky - not a flip-out Rav?

I remember Nachum Segal's interview with Ding(? I don't think it was with R' Abie Rotenberg) when Journeys 3 came out.

He specifically said it was well known that there was no Joe Dimaggio rookie card, so this was his exploration of what could have been... So no, it was not referring to the Philadelphia Yeshiva Rosh Yeshiva.

(he also said that he originally wanted the lyrics to say "and I said my goodbye to the great Joe Dimaggio" not "the great Joe Dimaggio's card")

(there was no Google then either so it's possible that they didn't know that while Goudey - the US candy company - hadn't issued a Joe Dimaggio card in '36, the Canadian company World Wide Gum did.)

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sat, Sep 12 2020, 11:28 pm
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
Anyone know who the author is?
Male/female?

Male, why?
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics