Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Naming after Maran Hacham Ovadia Yosef zt"l
Previous  1  2

Rappel

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 3:52 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for the replies so far!

Interesting, I also haven't noticed many Ovadias. Is it because its more old fashioned, or because its a sefardi name by association? If so, why is it that the name Yosef Chaim after the ben Ish Chai is more accepted? Just curious. Also love those names, but theres already a YC in the family Sad

I think it's just old fashioned. The modern version is "Oved."

Youssef Chaim is lovely. What is DH's Mizrachi derivative?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 3:53 pm
Rappel wrote:
I think it's just old fashioned. The modern version is "Oved."

Youssef Chaim is lovely. What is DH's Mizrachi derivative?

We're spanish/moroccan

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 3:59 pm
[quote="amother [ Pearl ]"]Yosef was his last name.

His son is Rav Yitzchak Yosef.

Naming a child Yosef after Rav Ovadia Yosef is like naming a child Auerbach after Rav Shlomo Zalman Auerbach. LOL[/quote

Actually his last name was originally Ovadia. To avoid being called Ovadia Ovadia, he started using his middle name, which was Yosef, as his last name.

Rappel

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 4:00 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We're spanish/moroccan

Moroccan has the Baba Sali - Yisrael

Spanish includes many of the major meforshim, take your pick. Smile (And if you haven't read the book "Forgotten Giants" yet, then I highly recommend it! It paints a brilliant portrait of many Torah giants from before the expulsion up and through the Tsfat Renaissance, and completely elucidates the shape of our mesorah.)

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 4:06 pm
Rappel wrote:
Moroccan has the Baba Sali - Yisrael

Spanish includes many of the major meforshim, take your pick. Smile (And if you haven't read the book "Forgotten Giants" yet, then I highly recommend it! It paints a brilliant portrait of many Torah giants from before the expulsion up and through the Tsfat Renaissance, and completely elucidates the shape of our mesorah.)

Fascinating! I will check it out. I dont know too many spanish sefardim. The area where my FIL was born is now part of Morocco but it was originally Spain. Thanks for the suggestion!

malki2

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 4:29 pm
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
Yosef was his last name.

Naming a child Yosef after Rav Ovadia Yosef is like naming a child Auerbach after Rav Shlomo Zalman Auerbach. LOL

Rav Ovadia Yosef’s actual name was Ovadia Yosef Ovadia. So Yosef was originally his middle name.

zohar

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 6:48 pm
[quote="amother [ Hotpink ]"]
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
Yosef was his last name.

Naming a child Yosef after Rav Ovadia Yosef is like naming a child Auerbach after Rav Shlomo Zalman Auerbach. LOL[/quote

Actually his last name was originally Ovadia. To avoid being called Ovadia Ovadia, he started using his middle name, which was Yosef, as his last name.

This is true. Yosef was his middle name.
At least some of his siblings took on the name Yosef in his honor.

octopus

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 8:03 pm
Ovadia is a gorgeous name!!! No, I don't know any but it doesn't sound old fashioned to me (nyc). It's right up there for me like ezriel or yechezkel (not the nicknames!). Not so common but gorgeous! (although in recent years I've seen a spike in ezriel. don't know why, but maybe because it's just a beautiful name!)

shevi82

Post Fri, Sep 11 2020, 8:05 am
I know a few charedi sefardi kids named Ovadia. I am in EY. I think it is beautiful, especially when your child can be proud of his name and feel a closeness to such a great gadol.

amother
Mauve

Post Fri, Sep 11 2020, 8:50 am
I have a brother Ovadiah. Lakewood, as ashkenaz as they come. My mom just loved the name.

avrahamama

Post Fri, Sep 11 2020, 9:17 am
It's not a sephardic name. It's a name from the TORAH!!!!!

Shprintza is an ashkenazi name. Rachel Leah is a name from the Torah.

Salim is a sephardi name. Shlomo is a name from the Torah.

Ovadia is a name from the Torah.

You can name you're child after the gadol and do it proudly!

Enough with this mentality of otherness. Our nation is too small to have such small minded thinking.

May all the ovadias and Shlomo zalmans and every single Jew alive today merit to stand on Rechov Yaafo and make the brachot on seeing Mashiach.

Shabbat shalom!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names