Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
2 yr old doesn't talk - lkwd

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 11 2020, 7:28 am
My 2 yr old (2 yrs + 1 month) does not talk
He says a few words will repeat some new words after me but doesnt really use them. Also sometimes the words are very unclear. I think He is smart bec he knows opposites and will occasionally say them (up & downs, hot& cold, hi & low, wet &dry) but only when prompted. He is the youngest of a large family and hasn’t gone to daycare yet. He rarely uses words for things and never puts words together. He babbles a lot like he is telling me things but it’s gibberish.

He is excellent at expressing himself and is rarely frustrated that he can’t speak. He motions or babbles to get his point across. Or is independent and does it himself. He is very happy.

I’m not the type to run to therapy or want therapy as a babysitter but I think it is at the point were I should do something.
I do have good private insurance with good coverage for speech.

What should I be doing?
Who can I call?
Does it make sense to do a hearing test?
I just have no clue what my next step would be.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Sep 11 2020, 7:44 am
Always do a hearing test first. That garbled sound he's making could be exactly the way he hears things. He'll probably need ear tubes put in.

How close is he to being 3 years old? If he just turned 2, I wouldn't worry. If he's almost 3, then you can ask your pediatrician for recommendations for speech evaluation.

avrahamama

Post Fri, Sep 11 2020, 7:48 am
Call your local early intervention and have them do an evaluation. They will do a thorough evaluation and you can take it from there.

#BestBubby

Post Fri, Sep 11 2020, 7:55 am
I second getting an evaluation and getting his hearing checked. Did he have a lot of ear infections?

He could have fluid in his ears that is distorting sounds.

Also - does your son UNDERSTAND what you say to him?

Does he bring you an object you ask for?

Can you give him something and say throw it in the garbage and he does it?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 11 2020, 7:56 am
avrahamama wrote:
Call your local early intervention and have them do an evaluation. They will do a thorough evaluation and you can take it from there.

Do you go through early intervention if you can go private?
How do you find out their number?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 11 2020, 7:59 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Always do a hearing test first. That garbled sound he's making could be exactly the way he hears things. He'll probably need ear tubes put in.

How close is he to being 3 years old? If he just turned 2, I wouldn't worry. If he's almost 3, then you can ask your pediatrician for recommendations for speech evaluation.

Just turned 2
I have a teen son who needs tubes to hear and still has minor unexplained hearing loss. So wondering if that could be in play here. But thay son had no speech issues.
My 2 yr old can give me entire Speeches saying “uhuhuh” or will talk on the phone for 10 minutes sayin “hi Bubby Zaidy “ pretty clearly and then non stop babbling the rest of the time.

anonymrs

Post Fri, Sep 11 2020, 8:02 am
Call Early intervention. 18886534463. Yes you can still go thru them even if you do not qualify for gov assistance. There may be a copay or you might pay in full but you can still go thru them.

avrahamama

Post Fri, Sep 11 2020, 8:04 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Do you go through early intervention if you can go private?
How do you find out their number?

Absolutely. They ask for you insurance information and will bill appropriately. But they will do the full workup and it will be less scramblkng and trying to figure out who to go to on your part. Also the case worker will have an initial conversation with you and put you at ease.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 11 2020, 8:08 am
#BestBubby wrote:
I second getting an evaluation and getting his hearing checked. Did he have a lot of ear infections?

He could have fluid in his ears that is distorting sounds.

Also - does your son UNDERSTAND what you say to him?

Does he bring you an object you ask for?

Can you give him something and say throw it in the garbage and he does it?

No ear infections (but neither did my teen son who has had tubes since age 5 to hear).
He listens and follows instructions great. Learns quickly. Understands books. Like if ask him what sound shofar makes will “tooo”

amother
Beige

Post Fri, Sep 11 2020, 8:12 am
avrahamama wrote:
Absolutely. They ask for you insurance information and will bill appropriately. But they will do the full workup and it will be less scramblkng and trying to figure out who to go to on your part. Also the case worker will have an initial conversation with you and put you at ease.

Early intervention does not bill through insurance, but it is very cheap. Our income is around $200,000 with three kids and I think I pay $4 per session. It is the same local Frum therapist I would have gone to using my private insurance.

amother
Brown

Post Fri, Sep 11 2020, 8:13 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
No ear infections (but neither did my teen son who has had tubes since age 5 to hear).
He listens and follows instructions great. Learns quickly. Understands books. Like if ask him what sound shofar makes will “tooo”

EI SLP here.
Please have his hearing checked immediately and call EI to have your son evaluated. You can proceed from there. Until then, just listen patiently while he is talking/babbling and you keep up a running dialogue with him.

mha3484

Post Fri, Sep 11 2020, 8:20 am
Two of my children barely spoke before the age of 2 but my line in the sand was always if they get to their second birthday and are still only saying a handful (5-10) words I will get them evaluated. Both of them were just late bloomers because just around their birthdays their speech exploded. Their receptive language and social skills were excellent so I was not super worried but I didnt want to end up with a lot of issues later on because I downplayed the issue. I know kids that end up with behavioral issues from struggling to communicate. Its a hard balance to navigate.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 11 2020, 8:41 am
Thank you everyone

Stars

Post Fri, Sep 11 2020, 8:43 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
therapy as a babysitter

Ok, there are people who do this?
Wow.
Mind blown.

In any case, it sounds like you should get him an eval at least plus get his hearing tested. Even if they fix his ears he'll still likely need therapy to catch up.

You're a good mom.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics