Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Those who followed parents advice about who to marry and not

If there was a difference of opinion, those who followed parents advice about who to marry and not marry, do you regret it?
Yes, I regret it, they advised me badly.  
 37%  [ 14 ]
No, I dont regret it, they advised me well.  
 62%  [ 23 ]
Total Votes : 37

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 9:48 pm
If there was a difference of opinion, those who followed parents advice about who to marry and not marry, do you regret it?

amother
Floralwhite

Post Fri, Sep 11 2020, 5:35 am
I was a lot pickier than my parents. Mom thought I should go for anyone with good midot. I also wanted chemistry, intelligence, personality ...

My mom didn't actually push me to marry any of her "boring" guys because I refused the first or second date with them.

When I did pick DH, my mom was pleased with him; she just didn't understand why I didn't agree to the many boring ones who came before. I'm glad I held out.

amother
Violet

Post Fri, Sep 11 2020, 8:41 am
my mother wouldn't have dreamed of advising me either way. she felt strongly about not interfering and no matter whom I went out with, all she would ever say was he seemed like a nice guy. So annoying because if I disliked him, I wanted her to agree with me, and if he seemed like the love of my life, that lukewarm 'he seems like a nice guy' was almost insulting.

irritating as this was to me at the time, I later realized that this was very wise, and when my dc were in the parsha, I would never voice an opinion one way or another, either. what I would do was try as much as possible to articulate the questions that a person needs to answer for himself. it's their life, they have to decide. Besides, if things chasveshulem didn't work out, nobody could claim I steered them wrong.

if I had to do it all over I'd do exactly the same thing.

amother
Mauve

Post Fri, Sep 11 2020, 1:03 pm
I was warned and divorced a few months later
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics