Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Therapist for perfectionist

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 11 2020, 12:13 pm
I have older children and teens with perfectionist tendencies. Anxiety over trying new things, fear of failure, unwilling to ask for assistance etc.. They are being helped.

I am now seeing the same tendencies in my 4 year old. Seeing as I'm much more aware now, what type of therapist would be helpful?

I'd like to deal with this earlier rather than later when things are more engrained.

Obviously we are parenting in ways that allow for failure, trying new things etc.,DH exactly like this, so I'm sure there is some genetic component.

amother
Chocolate

Post Fri, Sep 11 2020, 3:28 pm
CBT is probably the ideal type of therapy for this.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 11 2020, 4:13 pm
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
CBT is probably the ideal type of therapy for this.

Thank you. Is there a way to do cbt with a 4 year old? Play therapy? Art?

amother
Lilac

Post Fri, Sep 11 2020, 6:13 pm
I had this with my 9 y.o.. He was treated by the Guttmann sisters of Hands on OT. When my daughter was 3, I took her to them too. I honestly feel they saved my family. They specialize in anxiety and processing, using a physiological approach. It was my psychologist who recommended I go to them as the CBT wasn’t having long term results. Good luck.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 11 2020, 6:24 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
I had this with my 9 y.o.. He was treated by the Guttmann sisters of Hands on OT. When my daughter was 3, I took her to them too. I honestly feel they saved my family. They specialize in anxiety and processing, using a physiological approach. It was my psychologist who recommended I go to them as the CBT wasn’t having long term results. Good luck.

Thank you. I'm not in NY, but she does have an OT for a different issue. Maybe I'll speak with her for ideas.

amother
Olive

Post Sat, Sep 12 2020, 9:47 pm
Perfectionism is often ocd, test for pandas. Especially if familial.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 12:13 am
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:

Can you please share more info?
Who are the Guttmann sisters?

yidisheh mama

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 12:41 am
OT and Play therapy/counseling.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics